Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

CA glue

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2009, 11:20 PM
edmoor
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CA glue

[X(] is this stuff actually good for you to breath and absorb into your system? i have noticed the past 2 weeks....i have been building a taylorcraft....i cannot taste my food.....my sinuses are plugged up....i blame the ca glue. balsa dust never bothered me before...till i used ca glues. any advice on health issues here? i use gp yellow resin where i can....[:@]
Old 08-11-2009, 11:32 PM
ZERO-322
My Feedback: (2)

Default RE: CA glue

Some people actually never have a problem and are immune to its affects all together , others develop problems after a long time ,some right away with a moderate to serious reaction to it , but the short answer to your question is....... yes CA is hazardous to your health. both the fumes and breathing it in can be harmful , if I were you I would better ventilate the area I am working in , a big fan in a window blowing outwards can be helpful
Old 08-11-2009, 11:49 PM
huck1199

Ed
I think you know the answer to your question; no. I hate CA but I use it very sparingly. I take my time building so yellow glue works great for me. I recently picked up a built but uncovered plane built with CA. There are so many poor joints and bad sheeting areas that I will probably have to make a new wing. I also suspect that the CA joints won't last like a yellow glue joint. CA seems to turn to powder in time. Even the cheap ARFs seem to be made with some sort of glue that fills gaps, not CA. I don't react to CA, I just don't like its properties.
Old 08-11-2009, 11:52 PM
Don41

ORIGINAL: edmoor

[X(] is this stuff actually good for you to breath and absorb into your system? i have noticed the past 2 weeks....i have been building a taylorcraft....i cannot taste my food.....my sinuses are plugged up....i blame the ca glue. balsa dust never bothered me before...till i used ca glues. any advice on health issues here? i use gp yellow resin where i can....[:@]
I returned to the hobby in 2006 and thought I'd use the new fangled CA glue instead of Ambroid. For a few months I got away with it but then I developed a severe asthma like reaction every time I was exposed to CA. I tried super ventilation, masks, etc but nothing worked. It finally struck me that the solution was simple,,, don't use the stuff anymore! It really isn't necessary. I built the last two planes (kits) with Titebond III and a little 30 minute epoxy. Takes a little longer but at least you don't have rock hard seams that are impossible to sand properly.

The weird thing is that I have never been the allergic type, not even to poison oak. My two cents here, stay far away from CA.

Regards
Old 08-12-2009, 12:28 AM
whstlngdeath
My Feedback: (15)

If I just get it on my fingers, I'm laid up for about 5 days worth of sinus problems. I threw out all my CA and I have a 1/5 scale Bf-109 build coming up. I've had excellent results with Titebond and SIG glues, so that is what I'll use. I too tried the cartridge filter mask and good ventilation, but if I come into skin contact with it, that's enough to make me sick.

Jesse