Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

What to use for pull pull cable exits?

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

What to use for pull pull cable exits?

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2003, 08:48 PM
Paul Cataldo
My Feedback: (10)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What to use for pull pull cable exits?

What do you guys normally do when a pull pull cable is going to exit the fuse where there is no wood, but only covering?
Do you add wood?
What else?
Should I just let it exit through a small hole in the wood, or do some of you use pushrod exit tubing?
Thanks fellas.
Old 06-30-2003, 10:43 PM
Giant Scale

Some people use a small piece of nyrod supported by a piece of wood if the fuselage is built up. For a fiberglass fuse, I prefer to just cut a slot in the side of the fuse maybe an 1/8" high and however long so the cable can move freely.
Old 06-30-2003, 10:58 PM
Paul Cataldo

Thanks GiantScale,
I think nyrod would be good.
Now,
If I could only get up the courage to try and figure where to exit the fuse!
I have no trouble determining the height at which the hole needs to be at, but as for how far back the hole needs to be, well this is going to be a tough one, especially with dual elevator servos close by!
Old 06-30-2003, 11:17 PM
Giant Scale

Which plane are you building? Are there any recommendations on the plans?
Old 07-01-2003, 01:00 AM
vonJaerschky
My Feedback: (3)

Whatever you are building, do you have a full size plan, with a top view? Just draw on the control horn that you are using, and also where your servo and servo arm will be. Make sure you draw everything to scale with accurate dimensions. Then simply draw a line between the servo arm ends and the control horn. Where the lines exit the fuse on the plan is where they should exit the fuse on the plane. It may sound time consuming, but it goes pretty quick, and is definitely better than guestimating and having to patch a hole that is in the wrong place. Worked for my Dr1, anyway. Good Luck!
Old 07-01-2003, 01:26 AM
Paul Cataldo

Guys,
Guess I should have mentioned this before, but this is an ARF, a DP Edge 26%. There are no recommendations or any info in the instructions about where the cables will exit.
Old 07-01-2003, 03:52 PM
mulligan

Place the fuse on a large piece of paper and trace your own top view, including tail surface control horn locations. Then measure and add servo locations to your cartoon and proceed as stated above.

- George
Old 07-01-2003, 04:49 PM
splais
My Feedback: (25)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You don't need to go to all that trouble. Get a piece of piano wire about 3 feet long. with your servo and all horns in place and wing off; lay the plane on its side and position the piano wire exactly over the servo horn and control horn and mark the up-down location. then tuyrn the plane upside down and do the same thing to the left-right (front-back) location and you are all set. Sounds goofy, but works pretty well.
Old 07-01-2003, 10:37 PM
Paul Cataldo

Guys,
After a little examining, I know that the pull pull cables are going to exit the fuse where there is NO WOOD. ONLY COVERING. There is no way to get in there to add wood without destroying my covering job. The cables are also going to have to exit the fuse right in the middle of a series of 3 pinstripes. I would have to special order these three colors, as they are all "Dark Pearl" Ultracote colors.
What would you guys do in this case?
P.S. I CANNOT move the rudder servo to ANY other location. It must be where it is, in order for the pull pull cables to clear the dual elevator servos.
Anybody got a neat trick up their sleeve?
Thanks.
Old 07-01-2003, 11:48 PM
mulligan

One idea...

Duct tape on the back of the covering; pierce hole (I'm hoping you have enough access to do this with the aid of a cheater stick).

Second idea (really a bale out)...

Reinforce outside of covering with a heavy decal, then pierce (if decal isn't appealling, how about a couple layers of clear monokote over the small area where you would pierce hole?)

- George
Old 07-02-2003, 02:00 AM
Kelly D

Mainly, you just need to not have the cable rubbing against anything. I have the same plane. Ran dual rudder servos, inline, and the pull pull cable exited the fuse forward of the bulkhead in front of the elevator servos. I exited thru the covering alone, and have no issues. In addition, the ultracote is relatively strong, compared to monokote, and isn't as likely to tear. I just have a small hole, big enough to fit the cable thru.
FYI, if you haven't balanced the plane yet, DO NOT BALANCE IT PER THE INSTRUCTIONS !!!.. They are wrong and Dave Patrick has updated his website advising the new balance point is 5" back of the LE. I moved CG on mine to 5" and it flew excellent.