Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC 1/8th Scale Buggies
Reload this Page >

So I make my own fuel, is that so bad??

Community
Search
Notices
RC 1/8th Scale Buggies Discuss the ever popular category of 1/8th scale rc buggies in this forum!

So I make my own fuel, is that so bad??

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2012, 07:19 PM
cl5man

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default So I make my own fuel, is that so bad??

So i've been flying planes for many years, 20+, and i've been playing with the 1/8th buggies for a while. I've been making my own fuel for about 6 years now. Its been so long, but I think when I was buying fuel for the planes i usually got the byron 15% nitro with 20% oil. When I started mixing my own gas at a 15%nitro content i noticed a huge improvement in the planes. Example would would be not being able to hover with the store bought stuff vs being able to hover with my own stuff. Sorry but thats all i've got to compare it with. I've also ran the exact same mix with my cars since i've been into the nitro cars. Don't have anything from the store as far as fuel to compare in the cars. My concern is I've recently got the bug to get the car going again. I mixed up a fresh gallon of 15% for the car, it ran great!! But its been a couple years since I've run it. At the track the electric cars and the new "lipo" batteries are so impressive!! I couldn't settle for being outdone by an electric buggy, so I decided to to mix up another gallon of fresh fuel at a 30% nitro content. I know they sell it, I know its not all that uncommon, but in my plane world the home brew ran so much better than the store bought stuff. Should I worry about running my 1/8 ofna with an OS .21 to the ragged limits with my 30%? I haven't made it to the track yet with the new fuel mix, but in front of the house on pavement it hauls!! Ive been running the homemade stuff for a few years in the buggy, never had any problems. Is the home brew stuff really that much better than the stuff you pay $35 a gallon for?? Will I being replacing the engine soon?
Old 11-02-2012, 03:25 AM
Anthoop

Default RE: So I make my own fuel, is that so bad??

Half way through reading your post I was thinking "you need more than 15% nitro", 30 is closer to the mark..most people will be using 20-30%.
Many people mix there own fuel and so long as it is mixed correctly with good ingredients then there is no reason your engine will expire early.
A member of this forum recently posted his method and ingredients he used in his own fuel.- http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_11253940/tm.htm
Old 11-02-2012, 02:20 PM
FahrtAutoRC

Yea, planes seem to be happier with slightly less nirto than ground vehicles are. The lowest I think I would go is 20, 30 should be spot on
Old 11-03-2012, 03:30 AM
Nitrovein

The store bought fuel may be mixed with % by weight instead of % by volume, that makes a big difference as nitro is the heaviest component.
Mixing by volume 20% will be equal or better then most store bought 25% and 25% by volume will be equal or better then most 30% store bought fuel.
But there are store bought fuels that are mixed by volume, I think Werks is one of them.

The oil content and oil´s used will affect performance also. Better oil´s can be used in lower percentage and make the fuel burn more efficient, while still lubricating as good or better then the cheaper oil´s.