Community
Search
Notices
RC 1/8th Scale Buggies Discuss the ever popular category of 1/8th scale rc buggies in this forum!

HB D812

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2012, 01:38 PM
JohnP2

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default HB D812

Looks pretty slick. Going for $519.00. Curious what this does to the D8. Amain doesn't even have it listed anymore.

http://www.hpieurope.com/kit-info.ph...&partNo=109428

Old 12-13-2012, 03:09 PM
nitroexpress

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: HB D812

ORIGINAL: JohnP2

Looks pretty slick. Going for $519.00. Curious what this does to the D8. Amain doesn't even have it listed anymore.

http://www.hpieurope.com/kit-info.ph...&partNo=109428

The D8 morphed into the D8 Hara.

Now the D8 Hara has morphed into the D812. Tower and RCPlanet have them for awhile. Still a good deal for $400
Old 12-13-2012, 05:10 PM
JohnP2

Okay, so who on here currently has a D8 andfeels the upgrade to the D812 is worth its price point? I'm not saying it is, nor it isn't. I don't own one so have no idea. I have NODOUBT that their success at ROARis100% due to the jump onprice points, and I say good for them. They earned it.

Iam confidentthe D8T12 is on its way.

Old 12-13-2012, 07:15 PM
nitroexpress

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: JohnP2

Okay, so who on here currently has a D8 andfeels the upgrade to the D812 is worth its price point? I'm not saying it is, nor it isn't. I don't own one so have no idea. I have NODOUBT that their success at ROARis100% due to the jump onprice points, and I say good for them. They earned it.

Iam confidentthe D8T12 is on its way.

I doubt race results had much influence on the price point for the D812. Race results increase the number of units sold and Hot Bodies showing at 2012 IFMAR Worlds Buggy Championship Racewill make it a popular choice.

The increase in price for the D812 is in large part due to the upgraded parts. Much like the D8 Hara had an increase in price over the standard D8. Some of the upgrades include -

Monocoque style suspension arms (similiar to HPI Apache)for strength, stiffness, and ease of cleaning
HB Big Bore long stroke threaded aluminum shocks long suspension travel (longer than Hara rear shocks)
Race-optimized steering
Lightweight drivetrain gears have less rotational mass for quicker acceleration (changed to straight cut gears from spirial cut)
Lightweight aluminum axles
Graphite steering knuckle arms
CVD boots to retain grease in axles and keep dirt out
Adjustable hinge pin heights, kickup, and anti-squat angle (not possible on Hara withoutafter market parts)
Adjustable rear toe-in (inboard and outboard)
Integrated steel skid plate in chassis to extend chassis life

For Joe Average, the D8 Hara would be sufficient. But there are always those to want top drawer, so there's the D812. After 6 months or so, the price will drop on the D812 and make itan even better value.

Old 12-17-2012, 03:26 PM
JohnP2

Makes sense. I was reading on another forum one of the members who isan engineer for HB said initially they were only going to have minor upgrades, but based on feedback from their drivers went whole hog. When you consider the amount of enhancements (as you listed) I can see where the ppc goes up quite a bit.