Community
Search
Notices
RC 1/8th Scale Buggies Discuss the ever popular category of 1/8th scale rc buggies in this forum!

Tuning for Roll ;-)

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2013, 07:11 PM
JohnP2

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Tuning for Roll ;-)

One of the things I'm starting to get a feel for is roll. I read over and over how it's hard to explain and you just have get that feel, and believe I have it now. I'm not sure what my preference is yet (more or less roll)I just know I can feel it now. Everything seemsto have arepurcussion of some sort with making any change.Right now I'm starting to stand everything up to decrease it. Am I doingright, or is it better to learn how to control as much roll as you can? I'm talking specifically about 1/8 nitro buggies and truggies.

Thanks!
Old 03-01-2013, 08:22 PM
supertib

Default RE: Tuning for Roll ;-)

ORIGINAL: JohnP2

One of the things I'm starting to get a feel for is roll. I read over and over how it's hard to explain and you just have get that feel, and believe I have it now. I'm not sure what my preference is yet (more or less roll)I just know I can feel it now. Everything seems to have a repurcussion of some sort with making any change. Right now I'm starting to stand everything up to decrease it. Am I doing right, or is it better to learn how to control as much roll as you can? I'm talking specifically about 1/8 nitro buggies and truggies.

Thanks!

Its all about the surface your racing on........ I find that the ideal roll center really revolves around the amount of traction there is available....
Old 03-02-2013, 12:42 PM
JohnP2

Thanks. The track I'm running on has decent traction. It's high-bite, but still new so the groove is still being developed. I'm running my truggy fairly stiff. I guess what I'm trying to learn is the advantage to more center roll/
Old 03-02-2013, 11:31 PM
Foxy

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I need to better understand what you're referring to, is it roll center you mean or something else? Roll center adjusts how easily your car will try to bank toward the pull of gravity, it can aid traction when there isn't much available, but to be effective you would probably adjust other parts of the suspension first. Roll center isn't something you'd normally adjust unless rethinking your geometry approach altogether and making a large number of changes, for example when changing roll center you would almost certainly want to adjust shock angle and droop as well.

What effect are you trying to achieve exactly?
Old 04-16-2013, 12:43 PM
HickamHatch

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What track are you racing on?
Old 04-20-2013, 04:12 PM
i8tweety
My Feedback: (11)

Adjusting roll center is jus another adjustment for your setup toolbox. How to adjust roll center really depends on your driving style. Are you smooth rolling in the corners and accelerating through the apex or entering the corner hot, lock brakes, swap ends, and accelerate out from a near dead stop? Each style needs a different setup.