Community
Search
Notices
RC 1/8th Scale Buggies Discuss the ever popular category of 1/8th scale rc buggies in this forum!

Which one for a basher?

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2006, 04:06 AM
bIGmiK

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Which one for a basher?

Hey guys.

I been looking at getting myself a 1/8 nitro buggy. They look awesome! I currantly run electric, I have a Team Losi MF2. I'm not stupid, a nitro won't be to difficult or anything for me so don't tell me that stuff.

What I would like to know is what buggy should I get, if I'm just after something that will run decent, is RTR, and never be raced. I just want a basher buggy, so whats the best bang for your buck buggy out there at the moment!?

Also, I can get a Ofna Hyper 7 TQ Sport RTR quite cheap, how is this buggy for my needs?
Old 07-18-2006, 10:31 PM
bIGmiK

Default RE: Which one for a basher?

BUMP

Ofna Hyper 7 TQ Sport RTR, is that any good for what I want?
Old 07-18-2006, 10:38 PM
AznBash3r
My Feedback: (1)

sportwerks turmoil rtr...look at my thread about it
Old 07-18-2006, 11:11 PM
bIGmiK

It's a bit more than I was hoping to spend...

I can get the Ofna Hyper 7 TQ Sport RTR for less than $300... Is it worth it for what I want? Just something that will run decent in a part and bmx track.
Old 07-18-2006, 11:48 PM
AznBash3r
My Feedback: (1)

hyper 7 is pretty good, but the electronics suck. think of the turmoil as a $350 buggy with a $150 radio
Old 07-19-2006, 01:19 AM
bIGmiK

I already have a perfectly fine radio...

Anymore opinion on the Hyper 7 TQ Sport RTR for a bit of bashing with no racing?
Old 07-19-2006, 01:20 AM
bIGmiK

Double post
Old 07-19-2006, 01:32 PM
kx250ryder

ORIGINAL: bIGmiK

Hey guys.
I'm not stupid, a nitro won't be to difficult or anything for me so don't tell me that stuff.
Just because you aren't stupid doesn't mean you will easily make the transition from electric to nitro. First and foremost there is the issue of learning to tune a nitro engine. This gives most people enough headaches to quit within the first couple months. Second, there is the tremendous amount of maintenance, since your car now sprays oily exhaust all over itself. It isn't uncommon to spend as many hours driving as you do working on your car. Third, maintenance is expensive. The fuel alone is 25 bucks a gallon. Parts are durable, but can only take so much when you are driving an 8lb car at 40+ mph.

I am not saying you can't do it or that it isn't worth it. I am just saying don't expect it to be as easy as driving an electric car.

ORIGINAL: bIGmiK

What I would like to know is what buggy should I get, if I'm just after something that will run decent, is RTR, and never be raced. I just want a basher buggy, so whats the best bang for your buck buggy out there at the moment!?

Also, I can get a Ofna Hyper 7 TQ Sport RTR quite cheap, how is this buggy for my needs?
If you go with any RTR package, the majority of the gear is below what the car actually needs to be reliable. Even if you never race, some recommended upgrades would be:
- 6 volt receiver pack (4 cell AA holders are too weak to power the servos, and die quickly)
- Stronger steering servo ( http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/fb.asp?m=4258991 )
- Starter box (12 volt motor, not 550 or 750 motors)
- Failsafe and throttle return spring (at least until you can afford a FM or DSM radio with better range)
Old 07-19-2006, 01:53 PM
jonnymac

The hyper's an excellent basher and a decent racer. The RTR radio is pants though so if you have a decent radio like you say you do then i'd swap it over. The upgrades listed above are pretty much essential also, especially the reciever pack and servo. If your jumping big also get CNC chassis braces.
Old 07-19-2006, 11:40 PM
herb99

Hyper TQ Sport is a great buggy for bashing. I have pounded the hell out of mine and broken a shock cap and the steering servo craped itself after a few too many tumbles. I have jumped it 30ft long and 8 feet high. It just drives away from all the crashes.