Notices
RC Airboats Discuss R/C Airboats here!

Be Cautious on First Run

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2004, 05:12 AM
canadianjosh

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Be Cautious on First Run

I finally finished my scratch airboat enough that I could take it out and do some test runs on the design. This is not your ordinary airboat, it is a twin engine design spinning 11x7 props with a total of .80ci of displacement. The hull is foam that has been covered in 4oz cloth and reinforced in areas with 6oz. The design of the hull is almost tunnel hull like with a channel running down the middle. Hull lenght is 36inches width is 14 inches. This lead for a very tippy model that had generous amounts of steering power from two large air rudders. This boat tracks very well at speed and holds extremely well in corners. It held so well that in one corner I rolled the boat. Quick grab the inflatable!!!! Below is a pic of my boat after she rolled over, and of my servos drying out.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Nk28174.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	53.3 KB
ID:	94741   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xs57711.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	64.9 KB
ID:	94742  
Old 01-27-2004, 05:24 AM
ibuildstuff

Default RE: Be Cautious on First Run

nope, you did good, you found out the limits of the hull.. GREAT JOB!
Old 01-27-2004, 06:57 PM
TERBObob
My Feedback: (21)

Hey CANADIAN JOSH ...
First ... can't help but wonder ...
You have WATER up there ???? NOT ice ????

Daggumb ... we only have ICE here .... [&o]
Now , about the boat .... NICE job ... ( not about the roll over )
Well , now that you know how sharp NOT to turn , lets get some video of that baby flying across the waters .....
Twins ... GOTTA love 'em ....
Old 01-28-2004, 01:25 AM
pro27

How about some pics of how you have motor pods constructed. Also the linkage setups for the throttles and rudders. Hull bottom details?
Nothing like the sound of twins in sync. (from my airplane days)

What are you using for engines? (.40's are my guess)
Old 01-28-2004, 08:22 AM
TERBObob

One more thing CANADIANJOSH ,
You might want to try using CORROSION X on your radio gear .... it water-proofs the servos and Rx . Just open your servos like you have , then fill with corrison x , leave for about 5 to ten minutes to makes sure that its soaked in , then tip them over and drain over-night . Put your servos / Rx back together and wha-la .. water proofed .
Old 01-28-2004, 01:46 PM
ibuildstuff

terbobob, corrosion x is not a water proofer, but it is a water displacer... it doesnt "water proof" things just gets rid of the water on things when they do take a drink.
Old 01-28-2004, 02:15 PM
TERBObob

Ok ... whatever ..... it SEALS the "electronics" by coating them , FROM the water ....
Better now ?
And FTR - it "displaced" the water pretty good on mine when my mono took a dunk ( straight down to the bottom ...
And seeing how I run OPEN servos in all my boats ( meaning no radio box ) , to me , the CORROSION X 'water-proofs . ( or as you are saying - "displaces" the water . Which is fine , but which ever wording you choose , it still prevents the water from wrecking havoc on your electronics and possibly causing signal IF , or loss of control over your boat . )
If you meant that you would STILL have to dry out your radio gear , then , yes , by all means , you are correct . This does NOT provide a seal on the plastic casing on either the Rx or the servos , but rather JUST the electronics parts .
So , maybe my choice of wording was improper , but the over-all effect is that your electronics don;t get ruined , shorted , OR get messed with IF you DO get water inside them .

( better ???? )
Old 01-28-2004, 03:16 PM
ibuildstuff

ive used it before i ran and had gotten water inside a servo, and well.. the servo stopped workin.. AFTER i sprayed it again , it came back to life.. so waterproofing and displacing water are 2 different things..

There is a spray that amsoil makes that does water proof (i have since changed from cx to the amsoil spray) that works perfect.. i have intentionally takin a junk servo and some old radio gear, sprayed it with the amsoil spray sat it in the sink (underwater) and she worked while submerged.. great product, and cheaper than corrosionx
Old 01-28-2004, 03:37 PM
TERBObob

Very good ... I am glad that you found a product that you claim works better . But , with the info given , leave it be where its at and let CANADIANJOSH decide is he EVEN wants to use EITHER product .

And this AMSOIL product , what is the exact name of this BTW ( or this ALSO gonna be a secret ? ) Seems to me it would do the same thing knowing that AMSOIL does OIL based products ?
Old 01-28-2004, 05:45 PM
TERBObob

Well , I guess the name of that product by AMSOIL that he uses must not have a name ? ( or its a secret
Old 01-28-2004, 08:11 PM
ibuildstuff

since i dont truely believe you know the product.

its AMSOIL MP METAL PROTECTOR
Old 01-28-2004, 08:38 PM
TERBObob

Hummmm ... in YOUR own words ... it does NOT water-proof , but is a water displacer ...
READ what AMSOIL says about it and how THEY describe it ! )

MPHD Heavy Duty Metal Protector

A heavy duty spray lubricant fortified with special rust and corrosion inhibitors. Penetrates and adheres to metal surfaces, leaving a long lasting protective coating. Apply MPHD to any metal surface that requires a heavy duty lubricant or is exposed to the damaging effects of salt, moisture or chemical corrosion. Works as an undercoat, leaving a wax-like film. Recommended for motorcycle chains. Won't "sling" off. Dry to the touch. Doesn't attract dust. It is ideal for hinges, wire ropes and springs, nuts and bolts, motorcycle or bicycle chains, and for undercoating car doors, wheel wells, rocker panels, seams and other metal surfaces exposed to water, dirt or road salt. Product Code: AMH

Prevents rust & corrosion, even in salt water
Displaces water
Stops squeaks
Lubricates metal surfaces
Leaves a dry, long-lasting, wax-like film
Sprays into hard-to-reach places
Lubricant does not attract dust
Does not sling off
Ideal for chains & other heavy-use items

Taken right from the website ...

Seems there is a BIG dollar difference between the two items . Descriptions of the items are ALMOST identical ...

Corrosion X description

Amsoil description
Old 01-28-2004, 09:52 PM
mglavin
My Feedback: (31)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would appreciate and I am sure others will as well, that those of you with a bone ot pick with one another take it somewhere else... RCU rules prohibit name calling, mud slinging, slamming, trashing, bashing and you get the picture I hope.

This is a discussion forum, any and all information that is germane to the topic in play is appropriate. Anything else is not! There is room for debate without inappropriate behavior.

We all have our point of view, perspective and experiences to share. After all that’s what these forums are all about, the open exchange of ideas is paramount for these forums to exist.

RCU rules prohibit name calling, mud slinging, slamming, trashing, bashing and you get the picture I hope.
Old 01-28-2004, 10:20 PM
ibuildstuff

lol

CANADIANJOSH, if you would want some peice of mind, theres a simple way to really waterproof your servo's.. it looks a little goofy but it does the job. Take the top of your servo's off (where the gears are) and pack it with alot of grease or vasaline or some kinda grease type substance. Then reassemble the servo, and tape off your output shaft and dip it into some of that rubberizing stuff ya get at home depot. Its used for rubberizing handles of pliars or misc things.. but works good, and ya dont have anymore problems with water

Hope this helps ya!

Jesse
Old 01-28-2004, 10:27 PM
OLD_SLOW and in the WAY

howdy
i run open servo's also and i drill a small hole at the side bottom and give it a little squirt every now and then with some corrosion blocker. servos' seem to build condensation and with out the hole it has no where to go.
Old 01-28-2004, 10:27 PM
scorpionmarine
My Feedback: (3)

I agree with stuff thats the best way to completely waterpoof a servo!!
Thants my 2 cents!!!!!
Old 01-29-2004, 01:35 AM
pro27

ORIGINAL: ibuildstuff

There is a spray that amsoil makes that does water proof (i have since changed from cx to the amsoil spray)
waterproof ?
where in the mfg info ?
Old 02-03-2004, 05:03 PM
canadianjosh

Sorry about the delayed reply, I run my airboat in Victoria, BC, which gets very mild winters, we're lucky if a few inches of snow ever falls and stays for more than a day. Right now I am going to school farther north, and yes there is only ice here. I'll have some more detailed pics when I get back into victoria in a week. The engines are .40 size, and swing 11x7 master airscrew props. Each engine's throttle is controlled by its' own servo as is each individual rudder, making 4 servos in total. Each engine nacelle contains an 8oz fuel tank, 2 servos and one nacelle gets the battery and receiver pack. The hull was built out of 1 inch polyureathane foam, covered with 2 layers of 4 oz cloth and polyester resin( i am on a budget). The nacelles were built up out of balsa and normal wood glue, and then covered with 1 layer of 4oz cloth and waterproofed the wood. The plywood support for the nacelles was a special part of the project due to the fact that i completely fabricated them from a piece of pine 4x4. First I ripped a bunch of pine strips about 2.5 inches wide by 1/8 of an inch think on a table saw, i then sanded these and sandwiched three together with glass in between running 90 degrees to each other, and finally a layer of glass on the outside. The result was a pretty strong, light piece of plywood, that was waterproof and was about 3/8 of an inch thick. Since this project is still in the prototype/testing stage, it is a little ugly looking. I hope to add some sponsons and cowls to make the nacelles look more sleek. I think what i'll do for the servos is try an build a casing around them, and put some grease or vaseline in the servo body. After a day of drying everything was allright, i was actually surprised when i opened the receiver case and there was no water in it. I'll have more pics up in a week. Cheers!