Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > RC Airboats
Reload this Page >

Got my new hull 99% done....(pics inside)

Community
Search
Notices
RC Airboats Discuss R/C Airboats here!

Got my new hull 99% done....(pics inside)

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2004, 07:36 PM
1BADHD

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Got my new hull 99% done....(pics inside)

Here she is. Its a 26x17x2 inch hull. Powered by a OS .25. The two things you see going across the hull are the servo wires and extensions. I am going to run them in the hull at a later date. I want to make sure its gonna work right first. Anyway.....here it is. Can you come up with a name for her? Maybe.....The Great Pumpkin!! LOL
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Tr51239.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	124.5 KB
ID:	127945   Click image for larger version

Name:	Dy77876.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	126.0 KB
ID:	127946   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sx62493.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	119.0 KB
ID:	127947   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ga78338.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	121.2 KB
ID:	127948  
Old 04-30-2004, 08:17 PM
Selph-Inflicted

Default RE: Got my new hull 99% done....(pics inside)

Looks Good!!! [sm=thumbup.gif][sm=thumbup.gif][sm=thumbup.gif][sm=thumbup.gif]

Looks like you have done your wind tunnel testing! (I noticed the fan sitting in front of it!!!)

Can't wait to hear how it runs!! Keep us posted. Looks like you may be running in the morning!!!!!
Old 04-30-2004, 09:35 PM
Mr Cajun Gator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The "Jackal"
Looks good! Go ahead and get them wires in place, shes gonna do fine.
Old 05-01-2004, 12:58 AM
pro27

Looks good from here.........

The only concern I would have is not in the hull, but in the tank set-up. The tank may be positioned too high in comparison to the carb. It may have a tendency to flood out on you and hard to get a good needle setting.
Generally, a centerline thru the tank should be even, or a little below the level of the carb to prevent this from happening.

Just my lil'2 cents observation.
Old 05-02-2004, 09:44 AM
boogerboy
My Feedback: (3)

1dadhd I think you done a great job on your new boat! I just run it where the tank is! Pro27 never has much good to say about anything else anybody does anyway! If you'll notice when you come to the boat forum he has the last word in just about every thread! He's the reason I'm not posting my new boats on RCU or hanging out much here! Pro27 has much higher modeling skills than most people, but his attitude is turning more people away than he knows! I don't see moderator under his ID nor do I think I ever will! Boogerboy
Old 05-02-2004, 11:51 AM
Mr Cajun Gator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: boogerboy

1dadhd I think you done a great job on your new boat! I just run it where the tank is! Pro27 never has much good to say about anything else anybody does anyway! If you'll notice when you come to the boat forum he has the last word in just about every thread! He's the reason I'm not posting my new boats on RCU or hanging out much here! Pro27 has much higher modeling skills than most people, but his attitude is turning more people away than he knows! I don't see moderator under his ID nor do I think I ever will! Boogerboy
Boogerboy I think that you are taking what pro says the wrong way. I also have some experiance in modle boats, and I have not come across where pro was not correct. He also does not down talk any ones boat, only ads what he sees, that may become a problem. To me which is very helpful. Myself if I post something, and there is something I may not see, that will give me a headach I would much rather fix it now then to get out to the lake and have trouble.
IMO, Pro has been doing a fine job and has went out of his way helping out others.
Old 05-02-2004, 01:55 PM
Selph-Inflicted

Hey boogerboy! Good to hear from you! Get ahold of me; e-mail me or PM me...I'd love to see your pics.
Old 05-02-2004, 05:31 PM
sirwalter
My Feedback: (1)

Just curious as to why you think Pro27 was being cridical, rather than being !Constructively cridical
I would take any knowledeable advice from anyone...!
So what if he always has the last word. Somebody has too...!
PS: Lets drop it and get on with projects. Thanks
Sirwalter
Old 05-02-2004, 07:53 PM
1BADHD

Pro27 has helped me numerous times. I will take all his advice into account. He has been here longer than me and I am still a rookie at the whole AirBoat thing. Anyway, thanks for all the compliments and comments.

Took it out today and it went great!! Had a little problem with it wanting to dig in a little on a half throttle turn. Beleive it or not, it is just a hair front heavy. If you hold the prop it leans to the front about a 1/2 inch. When it has a full tank of gs it turns and runs awsome!! So I think I need to add just a few ounces of weight the rear of the boat. Other than that. It was fun!!!!

P.S. Pro27, your right it does want to flood the carb. But with just the right setting on the needle it does just fine.
Old 05-02-2004, 10:19 PM
TERBObob
My Feedback: (21)

"Orange Mist"

Uh-oh ... Just curious about something ...
Boogerboy , any chance you are on JIMS DOCK ?
Here ( unlike the afore mentioned above ) , we give corrective critisism without getting on someones case .
We listen to ALL , and also try the UNnorm . And when someone gives suggestions , it likes that old commercial about EF Hutton .... "we all listen" .
I have been here from the start and I do not ever recall where PRO has NOT been anything but helpful and doing it in a friendly , helpful way.
If you would ever like to post your pics of your hulls , I know we all would like to see them ( including PRO ) and if anything is said , it is either praise , or critisism in a postive way .
Shame you feel the way you do ....
As far as PRO's attitude turning away new blood , this I doubt ... the man is FULL of knowledge and should be listened to by all when he throws out a suggestion .
If you re-read his response .... I think you will notice that the only thing he was tryng to do was save the fellow some aggravation of why his engine would possibly keep flooding .
PRO is very respected gentleman here and it would be appreciated if you would not knock him or his suggestions please .
With that said ...
Hey BRIAN ... she looks GOOD ....
Also gotta remember too ... you really don't want to go full bore and then try and turn anyways ... the boat needs more "umph" coming from the prop for turning abilities ...
Besides.... fast is great , but FUN is FAR SUPERIOR [8D][8D][8D]
Old 05-03-2004, 12:34 AM
pro27

First off....
Thanks everyone![8D]

Second.........I am just relaying my opinions and knowledge I have acquired from over 30 years experience.

NO..........I do not know everything. That is why I also ask others questions.

As for the fuel tank position.......if you read any good articles on airplane construction and their engine set-ups, this is common practice that I cited. And the set-ups we use are taken from that area of the hobby. Check any engine manual that comes with an engine and most of them will recommend how the tank should be positioned.
Not that there WILL be problems, but problems CAN arise do to improper placement. I am just stating an age old fact.

Also, when I am most able to get to the computer, it is usually very early morning, or late night if you prefere. Most of you guys are already asleep by the time I am able to make most of my responses. Just so happens to be that way, not that I have to have the last word.
Old 05-03-2004, 01:17 AM
pro27

ORIGINAL: 1BADHD

P.S. Pro27, your right it does want to flood the carb. But with just the right setting on the needle it does just fine.
Using even muffler pressure presents a good amount for presurizing the fuel tank. This may be helping the flooding problem.

Try this for a few runs and see what happens.

Run it without the pressure line[8D] The close proximity of the fuel tank should still allow the engines natural suction for decent fuel flow. This is very old school, but still works.
The muffler pressure may be making the problem more pronounced by forcing the engine to flood. Without the pressure, this may be eliminated, or at least less pronounced an issue.

The only drawback to this is that once the fuel level gets lower than the carb, it may tend to lean out a little more. You will need to set the needle a little richer at start-up, but will lean out during the run. A little rtade off.

Another thing to try is a longer section of fuel line for the pressure line. This will slow down the pressure pulses to the tank. With muffler pressure, the amount of pressure created depends on the engine rpm, so to speak. The faster the engine runs, the more pressure pulses are created and sent to the tank. If it tends to flood more at start-up, using a longer pressure line will not allow the fast build-up of pressure inthe tank to flood it out as easily.

Just a few things you could try. May or may not make a difference for you, but has been proven to work for others in the past.
Old 05-03-2004, 01:24 AM
pro27

ORIGINAL: 1BADHD

Took it out today and it went great!! Had a little problem with it wanting to dig in a little on a half throttle turn. Beleive it or not, it is just a hair front heavy. If you hold the prop it leans to the front about a 1/2 inch. When it has a full tank of gs it turns and runs awsome!! So I think I need to add just a few ounces of weight the rear of the boat. Other than that. It was fun!!!!
Not knowing how you have your radio gear positioned inside the tub.........
just having the battery (the heaviest component) positioned towards the rear of the tub may be enough to change the balance. You may already have it placed there or can't change the position, so a little extra weight on the rear won't hurt anything except the great clean look you have going
Old 05-03-2004, 06:44 AM
Selph-Inflicted

I gravity feed some of my set ups. Similar to 1BADHD. I'm surprised someone hasn't noticed it on my boat yet???????? The setup works very well and you get a little more "umph" from the motor!

I'm late for work, I'll start a post on this subject when I get home.
Old 05-03-2004, 07:17 AM
1BADHD

ORIGINAL: TERBObob

"Orange Mist"

Hey BRIAN ... she looks GOOD ....
Also gotta remember too ... you really don't want to go full bore and then try and turn anyways ... the boat needs more "umph" coming from the prop for turning abilities ...
Besides.... fast is great , but FUN is FAR SUPERIOR [8D][8D][8D]
Uh, Terbo....my name is Matt! LOL Old age geting to you again? J/K!! Thanks for the name idea. Still trying to figure that one out. I was thinking about "General Lee"! (Dukes of Hazard) [8D]

Pro, the engine actually runs good. If it doesnt start right away though, you do have to pull the fuel line and let the gas drain back into the tank. Or it will just start flowing into the carb. Other than that, no problems.

Also, I am going to upgrade the engine already. The .25 works awsome in the water. But on land, its a little underpowered. I think I am going to go with the same enigne as my Airforce, a Pro .46. It is a very nice powerplant and they are very affordable!!

Anyway, thanks again for all comments. [8D]
Old 05-03-2004, 07:57 AM
TERBObob

Sorry about that Matt ,
Yes , I honestly DO know your name .... but must have had a brain fart at the moment ..[:-]
My apologies .... [&o]
Old 05-03-2004, 08:33 AM
1BADHD

ORIGINAL: TERBObob

Sorry about that Matt ,
Yes , I honestly DO know your name .... but must have had a brain fart at the moment ..[:-]
My apologies .... [&o]
No reason to say your sorry. No harm, no foul!!
Old 05-03-2004, 11:46 AM
Model_Mann

how about orange juice
oh oh wait this ones even better, OJ's REVENGE
or how about this one for all of the soft hearted critics out thereORANGY
Old 05-03-2004, 11:53 AM
1BADHD

ORIGINAL: Model_Mann

how about orange juice
oh oh wait this ones even better, OJ's REVENGE
or how about this one for all of the soft hearted critics out thereORANGY
Orange juice isntvery orignal.
OJ's Revenge....uh.....sounds like something to do with OJ Simpson. LOL
Orangy sounds kinda girlie!

I am thinking....Sundancer ot Predator. [8D]
Old 05-03-2004, 12:31 PM
pro27

I usually make mine simple and give it a number.
I'm working on KM-16 right now.

It's a WOF hull for an Irvine .40 and will have MK for a finish.
Old 05-03-2004, 12:59 PM
fishjunky
My Feedback: (1)

Hey the boat looks great. The paint job reminds me of HD (Harley-Davidson) orange and black. Glad to hear that she's running well. Good luck with the naming... here's one to try:

Citrus Slider
Old 05-03-2004, 01:20 PM
TERBObob

Hey Mark ,
I've heard of WOT , but what is "WOF" ?
Old 05-04-2004, 12:42 AM
pro27

This was penned by the old man Jerry Dunlap himself.......

All of his latest hulls, for quite some time, have been 'Wood Over Foam' and finished in the normal fashion. No glassing. Very lightweight and plenty strong. Also easy to repare if ever needed. The step between all wood and foam/glass.

If his OB hull designs can survive as long as they have, then an airboat should have an even better chance.
Old 05-04-2004, 09:44 AM
1BADHD

hmmm......that makes sense.

BTW, I think the boats final name is ORANGE CRUSH[8D]
Old 05-04-2004, 11:23 AM
TERBObob

Great ... but .....

Are you going after the name of the soda or the group ?

And if the soda , are you gonna add a pic or two of CRUSHY to your boat ????
( inquiring minds want to know ... )

( maybe I shouldn't have posted that .... now EVERYONE is kinda knowing what an old fart I REALLY am ... )

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.