Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > RC Boats General Discussion
Reload this Page >

WHICH FAIL SAFE IS BEST?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Boats General Discussion Discuss general rc boating topics here.

WHICH FAIL SAFE IS BEST?

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2005, 03:40 PM
jimjel

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: WHICH FAIL SAFE IS BEST?

Mike, sounds like your failsafe is working correctly, but that is not what I am talking about. Lets take a couple hypotheticals. What does your failsafe do if by chance the receiver battery lead breaks or gets disconnected, or the receiver simply fails and has no output to the servos? Answer, nothing! Servos don't work without power or signal. Try it, disconnect the receiver battery when your radio system is turned on and see what happens. A failsafe can't do its job unless it can communicate and it is only looking for a low voltage condition or intermittant and or loss of signal. If the receiver is inoperative for whatever the reason, (no power, component failure, water, etc) and cannot drive the servos, the net result is you are normally out of control at full throttle.

The Shark racing failsafe works great on gas boats. It incorporates an engine kill circuit that shorts out the ignition and kills the motor if it sees any anomalties. Unfortunately, I haven't been able to get delivery on the Shark unit. Next best thing is a mechanical shut down feature which is what I was talking about.

It is my understanding there is a way to incorporate a engine kill relay relatively easily that will provide an engine kill function for gas boats in the event of a power failure or low voltage, but don't know the details on how it is done.

Jim
Old 01-12-2005, 04:15 PM
stevblutu15

as for dynamites, i had perfect batteries in mine, and got about 100 feet away, and the boat would start to fidget, aka, i would have control for one second, it would take off the next second. I called the company and they said it's the spark plug in my motor. Well since the spark plug is a resistor plug, that is impossible, because if would also cause all of my other equiptment to fail. Even in a nitro car it wouldnt work, and in an electric car same thing. So i wasted my money on a piece of crap, and the company wouldnt take it back or repair it. I recently bought a venom, and have had nothing but good uck with it. It has performed flawlessly. But hey to each their own. I dont have enough room for the ram and am afraid to use a venom in my boat, due to terbo's bad luck. Any others out there that would work? how is the futaba? could i put a ram outside my radio box covered in Bee's Wax? If the boat sinks, to hell with the gear anyway, but my boat does collect a good abount of water inside.
Old 01-12-2005, 05:29 PM
Mike Lykins

I gotcha now
Yeah I see
I have a sprintcat in the works. It would be nice to have that Shark
Let us know If and when you find
Appreciate the info
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Om32042.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	92.9 KB
ID:	214230  
Old 01-13-2005, 09:47 PM
RICHP

Anyone use a battery backer where if one battery crapps out a second pack will take over? Seems like the battery backer in conjunction with a failsafe would enhance the reliability of the radio system. As jimjel stated if you loose power to the failsafe it doesnt work. This little device would transfer power from one pack to another if a battery lead breaks, just as long as it doesnt break after the battery backer. Is there somthing out there that is plugged inline with the battery that incorporates a engine kill circuit if the power fails? The Shark system sounds the best, but sounds like they are hard to come by. The battery backer approach might not be feasible if there is limited space for two battery packs in the radio tray. Jomar Products sells these things, and I thoght one would be neet.
Old 01-13-2005, 10:18 PM
stevblutu15

what if you rigged like a AAA as the backup, thatway if your main gets dissconenected, the failsafe would read it as low voltage and return your throtle servo?
Old 01-13-2005, 10:30 PM
RICHP

That would probablly work, That would also help solve the battery space problem. Some of the AAA nimh packs are pretty powerful mah.
Old 01-14-2005, 09:41 AM
stevblutu15

well even a crappy alkaline, just to give it the signal to shut down.