Community
Search
Notices
RC Boats General Discussion Discuss general rc boating topics here.

RC Surfer

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2012, 08:48 AM
RC HAWAIIAN STYLE

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: RC Surfer

kite pro

dont give up ,maybe more weight in the nose will stop the hop i always have to tune my boards with weight or you can put jimi reverse tail rocker on your board thats all ready done , gaurenteed you can make it work . dont give up on it john maui
Old 01-07-2012, 12:17 PM
powerpark
My Feedback: (1)

Saildoggie Thanks for the info. I really would like to trick out this RC surfer. I am holding up the build untill I get all the right electronics for it. I wanted to get the hobbywing 60 amp esc. I just needed to comfirm that this esc will be able to handle the right brushless motor. Running touring cars I run tekins and novacs. Hobbywing is new to me. Please send me a list of what brushless water cooled motors you guys are running. No sense reinventing the wheel. Sound like you guys are having a blast!
Water cooled Motor?
Hobbywing 60 amp esc
Motor mount ? stock or modified?
Coupler? Stock or Modified?
Prop?
Can I use the stock drive shaft?
Rudder? Stock or Mod?
Radio? I have a futaba 10 model but would like to use a decadited radio at the beach.
I live on the east coast (usa) and go to the New Jersey shore alot.
Thanks guys!
Old 01-07-2012, 06:41 PM
K-H2o

Powerpark-A lot of us use stuff from Offshore Electrics.comThe Feigao 540 S slow windings, low KV/rpm are best you will kick around goodwith a 75amp ESC or higher they have props Octura x430and the cooling jackets too. Use2 or 3 cell pack.
Aloha Karl
Old 01-07-2012, 06:54 PM
itsfishi

hi kite check this out bad video but may help.
from when i was experimenting with tail mods, i just hot glued it on for testing. worked well but added alot of drag.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rHoUDitZmS0[/youtube]

jock sick waves

powerpark good luck with your build here are some bits i have used and would recomend

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s..._Boat_ESC.html
i have had a watt meter on my surfer and recorded over 90amps also this esc will handle 4s without a bec.
also they are not waterproof as stated, so additional waterproofing is required.

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s..._Inrunner.html
these motors are good and come in a range of kv choices. just add a cooling jacket.
personally i woudnt use smaller than a 36 size motor.

i also picked up a tip from a crawler guy about waterproofing servos by smearing them with marine grease helps keep the water out.

later guys
Old 01-07-2012, 07:56 PM
kitekook

powerpark

the guys at hobbypartz are the best, they have excellent prices(only a little more than Hobby King) everything I have ordered from them was in stock, ships from California(a big bonus if you have ever waited on China and customs), have online support(you can ask if it is in stock before you pay) , cute Asian girls on their YouTube Channel , win,win.

there, my secret stash is out! WHEW! I feeeeeel betttter nooow.

ps Off Shore Electrics will do you right as well and super fast shipping.

Another vendor I like is Kentic Racing super nice ,good products , fair pricing. and fast shipping.

Jocktime

You know how it is...I want to be proud of my Surfer...and won't give up until I am.

I remember when I would make a significant improvement on my kites I would never fly the older ones.
I think that the reason I haven't made fighter kites in so long is that the last batch of 85 were the best I can do...didn't have a reason to build any more.

This model #3, that made it to water, needed several improvements in addition to the curing the motor hop (for one it was quite heavy, what kind of weights are you getting when you build a 36inch model?)....so it really isn't worth saving...scavenge the parts I can, make the neccessary improvements, and move on to proto #5...with luck I will be in the water in a few days...(I started #4 before the motor hop issue so it has the original tail rocker...oooops! So it sits there waiting with the others...I have an idea...but that will have to wait 'till later.)

proto #1 had poor symmetry....unacceptable....
proto #2 had a chance until I mess up the motor, prop shaft alignment...with the flex cable it was probably fine...just would have bugged the bejesus out of me....scavenged for the lead...
#3 made it to water...
#4 I was getting ahead of myself(again![:@])

#5....this one really feels like a surfboard....silky smooth, clean lines, and I just want to run my hands on her lines...[&:]

I will use them all again I am sure,once I get setup with the airbrush, I will need willing subjects...so much to learn....

will post some photos soon.
the helmet cam was aimed a little high...will be useable next time.

itsfishi

I remember that vid...it was what I went back looking for when I came back from the pond that day, thank you...that and JIMI's posts on the subject....priceless! Finally found the post where he was measuring the rocker for Rainer (I wonder if Rainer is still wearing that leash?)...page 47ish....5mm ummmmm

5 times 1.38(adjusting for my scale difference) 7mm is the amount I have set into this current model.
It just looks right I tell you.

Thank you JIMI....

Thanks to all who have contributed to this forum...its a long read but well worth it: informative, funny, and sometimes a bit silly.
Old 01-07-2012, 09:30 PM
jocktime

Hugh,Jock and John Having some fun at Ironwoods 01-02-12

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vUGkZ10399s[/youtube]
Old 01-07-2012, 10:10 PM
surfcurls
Banned

Nice Vid Jock.

When is your crews trip plan to hit So Cal ?
I want to schedule The Bro Am around those dates
and I am Sure All The So Cal Crew Agree.

We Will all Add More Silly To The Sport For Sure ...
Old 01-07-2012, 10:54 PM
Hughengland

Great to see the video of us at Ironwoods, good shooting J & J - that new video camera sure is clear!
Jock I know you're glad I asked you to video the 2 babes going out for a surf....Paradise I tell you!

Here is a picture of me (in blue shirt) working on Golf Channel shoot for the week. I overlook Honolua Bay watching surfing while I get paid to work doing set dressing & lighting.
2 more days to go and the swell is supposed to pickup, Strickler is leading the field of golfers after 2nd round.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	By76693.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	85.3 KB
ID:	1711196  
Old 01-08-2012, 12:34 AM
powerpark

itsfishi Hey thanks for the info. I like the ESC a lot. 120 amps woo HOOO. Good price. I think I will go with that one.
The motors look good to. Do they match up with the mount? Some look longer and shorter. Will they fit in and under the hatch.
They look like they are out of stock right now. They will contact me when there in. Or I may just call them. Please keep the info comming. Surfer dude is getting painted and put together. How the heck do you post photos here? I would like to show you guys my build.

Old 01-08-2012, 03:08 AM
itsfishi

pow your welcome, i have never had the pleasure of a kyosho so im not sure about the mount in them, but if its anything like nqd then i would recomend custom strong mount, you dont want your motor mount flexing putting strain on your drive system they should fit in your board but again not sure. as far as mounting holes they are the standard 19 or 25mm apart. some motors are longer and shorter your right, 3650 motor is 36mm dia and 50mm long and 3660 is same but 60mm long and so on.what batteries are you planning on using, you should aim for around 25-30 000 rpm something like that. i think mine might be 2300kv version which was just ok but totally usable on 2s great on 3s and ballistic on 4s. that esc is a good size to fit, be carefull some others are very big.

here is a quick vid i made to show jimi something but its shows the mount i made if interested. it was made from a T shaped piece of aluminium.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xGt3GqJ4RHY[/youtube]

jock another great vid, thanks
Old 01-08-2012, 03:09 AM
itsfishi

pow your welcome, i have never had the pleasure of a kyosho so im not sure about the mount in them, but if its anything like nqd then i would recomend custom strong mount, you dont want your motor mount flexing putting strain on your drive system they should fit in your board but again not sure. as far as mounting holes they are the standard 19 or 25mm apart. some motors are longer and shorter your right, 3650 motor is 36mm dia and 50mm long and 3660 is same but 60mm long and so on.what batteries are you planning on using, you should aim for around 25-30 000 rpm something like that. i think mine might be 2300kv version which was just ok but totally usable on 2s great on 3s and ballistic on 4s. that esc is a good size to fit, be carefull some others are very big.

here is a quick vid i made to show jimi something but its shows the mount i made if interested. it was made from a T shaped piece of aluminium.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xGt3GqJ4RHY[/youtube]

jock another great vid, thanks
Old 01-08-2012, 03:16 AM
itsfishi

hey just found this on youtube is it the same one we have seen before, i love how it can do any moves an actual surfer can do, id also like to see it handle 3 foot surf as stated. whats an el rollo?

things have come a long way eh

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=endscreen&NR=1&v=mK6sdUW4n1E[/youtube]

Old 01-08-2012, 03:23 AM
itsfishi

dunno why the youtube box isnt working but just copy the http and paste
Old 01-08-2012, 10:25 AM
jocktime

Thanks surfcurls, had a lot of fun filming that day.
By the way, Happy New Year.........jock
Old 01-08-2012, 03:22 PM
powerpark

itsfishi
Wow thanks very much for the detailed info and video! As soon as I can figure out how to post video and photos I will share my build.
Sorry for all the questions. Just like racing touring cars Setup is everything. I can see how having a very strong motor mount helps. The pounding of the ocean waves is stressful and the weakest link may be the motor mount. Im going to use lipo's I use in my xray touring car. I have a few of them. They are 7.2 volt. The 3650 will be one of the motors I will buy. I called hobbypartz and they said its close to the 540 stock motors the kit came with. Hows the cooling working? We have a temp gun and measure the temp when the cars come off the track. Or just feel the motor. Its the motor cool to the touch? Cool motors run faster and run longer. Well thanks again guys!
Old 01-08-2012, 05:09 PM
Saildoggie

You can buy water jackets for existing motors, not a big deal to set them up. Pretty sure we all run water cooled motors and most of us water cooled ESC's.

Made a little progress on the longboard prototype this weekend, used some PVA and made a keel splash off my NQD, wanna run my motor and battery pack down low:

Ready to epoxy it on, did that, glassed the bottom..

Working on fitting the drum winch and extrusion for my laid back nose ridin' dude!!!

Wow, a lot of activity here this weekend, cool videos and great posts everyone!
Old 01-08-2012, 06:03 PM
Justin-san

Great ending jock......get it ending?
But the other stuff was good too. Thanks for sharing.
Justin
Old 01-08-2012, 06:17 PM
Saildoggie

ORIGINAL: Justin-san

Great ending jock......get it ending?
But the other stuff was good too. Thanks for sharing.
Justin

HEHHE! Enjoyed the "ending" as well!

I think Jock needs to get more of that posted here..'Ya know, spice it up just a bit.

RIP Sean Collins, they had the paddle out memorial sevice today.
Old 01-08-2012, 09:24 PM
surfcurls
Banned

R.I.P. Sean ...

He Probably Generated And predicted the swell this Past Few Days.
Old 01-08-2012, 10:00 PM
Justin-san

Mark
The longboard look great!
Old 01-09-2012, 01:15 PM
Saildoggie

Thanks Justin, truthfully it is a bit rough, the foam is really soft and has really taken a beating before glassing...
Going to be a carve away at prototype, hack on it some more and work out some details!

Funny, ran across this mini surfer today, appears to be an active website, whoa, these aint cheap for what they are!
http://www.minisurfers.com/
Old 01-09-2012, 08:29 PM
kitekook

SailDoggie
You are so right about the foam....just look at it wrong and its dents! I try to glass immed after shaping that seems to work for me....turns into a long day though.
Old 01-09-2012, 09:54 PM
Cananzi

hey guys

woow the forum is going off. good to see everyone is busy building

I have been busy laterly with work and stuff. I have a board nearly finished its a bigger 31inch. just need to make a figurine for it. cant wait to get it in the water.

lol@ mini surfer............ i dont think you could even see it once you have thrown it on the wave.

Sail

that long board looks awsome cant wait to see it running.
Old 01-09-2012, 11:30 PM
surfcurls
Banned

The "Mini Surfer" was advertised in Surfer Magazine a year ago
with a half page AD. Seems Still more fun than a beach Frisbie.
Cheers To Another Surf Product From The Surf Wizards Of OZ.

Canz - Great FB Page You Started Too ...

Curlzebub
Old 01-10-2012, 08:01 AM
RC HAWAIIAN STYLE

doc curls

I got a ticket for the 13th of jan I am going to be in san clement for 3 weeks , so i am looking forward to see all the ripers of calif. names=== justin-san the dog kite pro. doc curls Bad Billy and the rest of the rippers .

john maui

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.