Community
Search
Notices
RC Boats General Discussion Discuss general rc boating topics here.

RC Surfer

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2012, 10:07 PM
YPC

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: RC Surfer

Hey Curls.....

For me...........Capturing the 'rides'certainly adds value to the STOKE, especially when I get home and relive the STOKE with the family......as well as getting to SHARE it with others on the web ........

What would RCU be without the awesome video footage and pictures that have been shared by 'so many'.................it would all be 'fisherman's tails without the 'record'

Its a pity if the only accounts of your rc surfing are the two Bro Down events..............that would be like only taking family pictures on 'special occasions'.........LOL

Personally....IMO.....for rc surfing.........the GO -PRO is not an option........mine is currently a 'paper weight'............

Filming with this set up will not be a 'distraction'............ at the range the board should always 'easily' be well within the frame.......without having to view through the camera. One can view the ride 'over' the camera and just 'glance at the screen to check the frame position. ( like checking your review mirror when driving........ doesn't spoil the journey)

Hey !..........I for one would love to see what you are up to and 'more' of your surfing..............seeing is believing !

Dominic (bro'Surfer)

Old 08-13-2012, 10:40 PM
kitekook

ORIGINAL: YPC

Hey Maui John....................

The prop position, from the tail, will certainly have a varying 'thrust' effect...although..the thrust line in relation to the position of the 'vertical' CG is really what will make the difference.

If the thrust line passes over the top of the V-CG - it will push the nose into the water....the further away....the greater the effect.

If the thrust line passes below the bottom of the V- CG- it will lift the nose.......the further away......the greater the effect.

IMO - the ideal is to have the thrust line as close to the bottom of the V-CG with the prop about 20% in from the tail.............to achieve that.......I have had to place the motor forward, half into the pod - run the shafts output point close to the hulls surface ( 30mm) this keeps the thrust angle at 5 degrees and runs the thrust line close to the bottom of the V-CG.
This setting reduces the 'leverage' around the V-CG...........reducing the Hop.

I still feel that a 'flat tail' is ideal.......any positive rocker will allow the nose to ride 'high'.....more than likely producing 'porpoising'

You mentioned that 'your current' board was the 'heaviest yet- it may be the weight that is running the board 'deeper' in the water......reducing the potential 'hop' from the positive tail rocker you have.

I prefer a board with a nose that is driven UP by thrust..........rather than DOWN by thrust ......which could either come from the thrust line been above the V-CG or To Much Negative Trim in the tail

A bit of bounce is better than a PEARL................

Dominic (Bro'Surfer)

I'm thinking we need an illustration, message didn't sink in first read...rereading now...

edit: I was thinking a monopod might provide support for the camera/radio rig...
Old 08-13-2012, 10:48 PM
surfcurls
Banned

I just don't need to have footage of my rc surfing to be stoked. It is a feeling that comes over time. Some day a few years from now you will understand. You are still new at it. No disrespect. My first t rc surf footage is 5 years old. I just dont feel the need to prove anything to anyone about my stoke on surfing in general. ...
Old 08-13-2012, 11:11 PM
kitekook

This was the only image I could find that had a vertical compnent to it....

Curls...as a photographer I enjoy playing with and sharing the images after a session in the Surf.

This forum gets too serious without a good helping of images....images/video make the forum a fun place to visit.

When things get too verbal....well, we all know what the outcome can be like...no fun to say the least.

Lets try and make it a fun place to visit.

Get that pretty gal of yours to shoot some footage for us to enjoy ....

my 2cents worth...

edit:

So Dom do you mean the transverse CG ?? That makes sense to me///thrust line intersecting....wait, I don't understand after all.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ec89210.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	110.2 KB
ID:	1791846  
Old 08-13-2012, 11:21 PM
YPC

Hey Curls.......you always seem to be on the 'wrong page'

Its been a very 'long time' since I tried to 'Prove' something to others for a 'feel good about myself' experience - HOWEVER - I do love 'SHARING' -much of what I know - experience and do............especially with those who have an interest ................ I certainly also enjoy 'seeing' all the footage and pics posted from those who take the time to add their invaluable 'intrinsic footage ' to this forum.

After-all.......surely that is the ethos of this forum........a collective 'SHARING' pool............to grow one another and the sport.........

If you feel that those, like myself, are only showing footage - pics - etc to 'Prove' something to one such as yourself........you may just be in danger of 'flattering yourself'....we both know that mans opinions are fickle and shallow.

Turn a few pages and get back into enjoying this thread for what it is..............I assure you........if ?.........in a few years the 'curiosity subsides and I lose the STOKE........I would rather move on......

Dominic (Bro'Surfer)

Old 08-13-2012, 11:23 PM
Cananzi

Dom

I love to watch back footage aswell. Can be great for improving your board.

I found my old HD video camera (cheapy) think i will mount like yours. My other waterproof camera I tried wasnt clear but this video camera is good enough i think.

What size thread did you use for the mount? My video camera looks to be m6 or m7 thread by the looks. I found with the way i hold the pistol grip i have to have the camera leaning on a backwards angle.
Old 08-13-2012, 11:32 PM
trippergreenfeet

I reckon getting footage is great....getting to relive the memories visually doubles the stoke.

I would never take any vids posted up here as blokes trying to prove something. For instance that vid I posted a couple of pages back of me surfing the ledge, I share it for the pure stoke it brings to those who already know the feeling and to add a little to those who don't....after 30+ yrs surfing I have nothing to prove to anyone apart from the message that life is great, live it and be happy.
Old 08-13-2012, 11:40 PM
surfcurls
Banned

I simply enjoy the ride as it happens. Shoot all the pix you want. I just think focusing on a focus takes away some of the thrill itself ....
Old 08-14-2012, 12:54 AM
YPC

Hi Kite

That is a great illustration.....I have saved it in my files.......you have been a good source of knowledge......thanks !

All three CG's are very relevant....the longitudinal is the most important to establish.....which needs to be the starting point and will vary depending on the running surface design of the hull.
Moving the LCG forward brings it closer to the thrust line...........moving it backwards takes it further away from the thrust line.

[b]In my previous explanation............about the thrust line -I'm referring to the Vertical CG 'around which the thrust will 'rotate, effectively causing the vessel to ride nose up or nose down. Consider the VCG point to be a pivot point (fulcrum). Depending on 'which side of the fulcrum (VCG) you are - will depend on the rotation, pushing the nose UP or DOWN. Its a type of imaginary leverage.

Keep the VERTICAL CG as low as possible in the hull ...........The lower you can get the VCG - the closer you bring it to the thrust line......the less the rotational leverage.
Remember that your VCG is established 'including the surfer'............The higher the VCG in the hull.......effectively the further 'away' it is from the thrust line......more the rotational effect will be.

Often...in the case of the production rc surfers.....the thrust line has been set 'to far' below the VCG.........generating excessive rotational LIFT - which then -lifts the nose aggressively-stalls - lifts the nose -stalls-lifts the nose-stalls-ie hops (porpoises) - adding weight in the nose - as well as adding weight to the keel has moved the LCG forward - the VCG down - bringing the overall CG closer to the thrust line............reducing the rotational leverage........reducing the hop

You may have recently found that with the 'Lighter Diva'....the VCG was lowered ..reducing the rotational leverage...which made the board run smoother......

Negative Rocker ( JIMI ROCKER) - Counter acts the rotational leverage 'Nose lift' by lifting the tail of the board.....therefore...the ideal design is to align the thrust line as close to the bottom of the VCG to reduce the rotational leverage of the potential thrust.

Dominic (Bro'Surfer)

Name:	Rp42326.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	66.5 KB
ID:	1791854  
Old 08-14-2012, 01:02 AM
Hughengland

Hugh's 5 cents worth:
I really enjoy taking rc surfing pictures and sharing with others - especially when it becomes 'art'.
This has nothing to do with ego or proving anything - as I'm with Tripper - I have nothing to prove!

Surfcurls - I also totally agree with your post "focusing on focus takes away from the thrill......."
- so that's why it's great when we have friends and fellow rc surfers also take turns shooting with camera.

Name:	Ec89034.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	96.5 KB
ID:	1791857   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pk31756.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	122.5 KB
ID:	1791858   Click image for larger version

Name:	Di10363.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	138.4 KB
ID:	1791859  
Old 08-14-2012, 01:26 AM
bearcave

George Greenough is one of my hero's of the waves too MJ.... watchin him live must have been awesome.... reckon he was ahead of his time might be why you are too with your custom take on rc surfin.

Here in Oz we had a mag called 'Tracks" which back in them days was the surfers bible.... many of the pics were taken by George... and his flexy fin design is still used today.

Hey TGF your latest vid is cool... reckon you have surfed that break a few times too hey!....shareing is careing its about the stoke... and playback of waves always shows how it was, the things missed when surfin itand howstuff can be done differentto make it better.....I agree withallyou said last post.

Hey Rogue29... Iwas playin with the rc surfer well before RCU gave it a page and still remember Metaldogs keeness to get one goin... I saw your comments and like you I got sidetracked for a while, still am.... Youtube showed me MJmade yellomon but i was too busy to get more into it espec as the otherold school sites were basically inactive.
Anyway there is nothin wrong with a boardshark... Fully stainless and the deck needs no sealing tricks, motor sunk low and the driveline has good angle... Of course it needs some mods but giveit a go with a dude behind the feet.

Hey surfcurls... I hear youwhen sayin how the camera can take the focus off what your doin but ihope to get one happinin soon... when i get used to ithopefully itwon't take away the thrill but allow me to show some stuff.. for me and all to comment and improve on....Just have to find an affordable waterproof camera as we all know what salt air does to electric stuff.

All looking good guys theshareing ofknowledgeis great.... like MJ says its a team effort... but MJ is always modest with his thoughts hey!
Old 08-14-2012, 01:28 AM
YPC

Hey Cananzi.......... Mine was a m6 - I reckon they are all the same.
Maybe you can create a type of wedge that you mount the bolt through, to give you the degree of tilt you need.....

Hugh........what I would do to have a mate like you 'photographing/filming my surf sessions............I really dont think following the ride by aiming the pistol grip in the direction, is going to be a 'brain drain' for me......Kind of like shooting a pistol from the hip...I will still be 'enjoying the STOKE' looking directly at the wave.......at the distance, I am sure Bro' will mostly be in the frame.

Just watch...........I'll Prove it !.................LOL

Dominic (Bro'surfer)
Old 08-14-2012, 01:40 AM
F1TUNNEL

I have not forgotton about that figure for you guys and just saw on the tv J-LOs coming to town here for a concert so I will get reminded every time I turn the tv on now!

Hope you guys keep putting up the pics as they are awesome to check out on my visits to RCU, when I get my printer going again I will surely print some as they are great for the shed wall and great action shots- we dont get anywhere near this amount of color on the boat threads. It may not seem much to some of you guys but they are really appreciated by others like myself that dont have a surf board or live near the coast.
Cheers,
Dion.
Old 08-14-2012, 01:40 AM
Cananzi

ou guys ever thought about buying a soloshot?

http://soloshot.com/

they have had great reviews and jimi msg them a while ago for the dimensions and from memory they would be able to be worked into a large custom.
Old 08-14-2012, 01:58 AM
trippergreenfeet

Yeah mate, I have just paid for one, waiting on the postie. Got it for taken footage of me surfing but I'll see how it goes on the NQD.
Old 08-14-2012, 02:06 AM
YPC

WOW!........is their anything that has not been thought of and manufactured...............that is insane. The only thing is 'In Africa' .......it would not be there when you got back......LOL

Absolutely awesome........

Hi Dion........the unit is coming along....machining supply has been a bit slow.......

Dominic (Bro'Surfer)
Old 08-14-2012, 02:24 AM
F1TUNNEL

Thats all good Dom- I probably have too much on my plate just now anyway!! I do look forward to getting it though. Are any of you guys landing 360 spins and flips on your boards when you want or is it more luck?
Old 08-14-2012, 02:31 AM
trippergreenfeet

I find landing those kind of moves is no problem, the amount of rotation is more down to luck. It's hard to get that right as I miss the feed back the wave gives as if I was riding it myself so it's hard to know how much "punch' to give it.
Old 08-14-2012, 02:49 AM
Cananzi

Dion

As tripper said its a bit hard to judge rotation and it really depends on the conditions.
I can land a decent percentage of lil 180 airs to reverse and then ride out , rodeo flips.

Heres a lil 360 floater type spin from when i first test run my 32inch custom.
http://youtu.be/4ekpuxtcmq8

the best flip i have ever seen in any footage would have to be this one....40secs in.

http://youtu.be/Q71iNJgAoMo

Old 08-14-2012, 03:52 AM
YPC

Hey Dion.......I will get it out to you soonest.

As for 360's and flips I have captured a few of my efforts on video to 'prove' it.......LOL.......its a mixture of intent and luck - coming together at just the right time........

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YsnOLEpQmgE[/youtube]

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LuYUsmlWh1I[/youtube]

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8QZW3K4plHM[/youtube]

Dominic (Bro'Surfer)
Old 08-14-2012, 05:28 AM
YPC

SEA-ling the steering servo....................this is a 'proven' ......method I have used for decades in my rc F1 racing boats, which use a 'protruding servo mount ' system.

- coat the servo's joints - screw heads and lead entry grommet, with a liberal amount of 'clear nail varnish'
- place a dab of grease around the servo horn then fit a small 'O' Ring. (thin wall)
- fit the servo arm and ensure that the servo speed is not hampered.

A 5 minute job - This water - proofing measure will be invaluable if your board 'takes a dunk'........

For the RX - wrap it entirely in Prestick ( Tick- Tack) then enclose it a balloon......it will be 100% water tight.
ESC - press Prestick into both ends of the shrink wrap and wrap th eends with insulation tape........

With all the electronic components being 'water resistant' - you will be sure to enjoy your board and suffer less damage.....$ cost

Dominic (Bro'Surfer)

Name:	Ay75080.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	61.8 KB
ID:	1791879   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ql33886.jpg
Size:	66.5 KB
ID:	1791880   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kp34538.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	62.3 KB
ID:	1791881   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fd92464.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	90.9 KB
ID:	1791882   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fd93314.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	103.9 KB
ID:	1791883  
Old 08-14-2012, 11:06 AM
SHALLOWMINDED

Quick session ~ end of the outgoing tide

Name:	Ay75610.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	103.2 KB
ID:	1791936   Click image for larger version

Name:	Id96374.jpg
Size:	66.9 KB
ID:	1791937   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rw57239.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	58.4 KB
ID:	1791938   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mf96787.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	58.1 KB
ID:	1791939  
Old 08-14-2012, 11:20 AM
YPC

Hey SM...........neat looking rig.........where ever there is a rc surfer shredding...........there is some one watching in 'amazement'
Looks like you had some great fun.........was it in the river mouth ?

Bro'

Old 08-14-2012, 03:23 PM
SHALLOWMINDED

Thanks Bro'

Shot's were taken by GoPro at an Inlet close to the house. The inlet allows the Intracoastal waterway to spill into the Ocean and vise versa on in-coming tide. One of the only places that has "clean" waves, as our predominant surf here is wind fetch/swell related. Until there's a Hurricane

Name:	Ig12374.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	65.9 KB
ID:	1792007   Click image for larger version

Name:	Gb89225.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	65.1 KB
ID:	1792008  
Old 08-14-2012, 06:29 PM
rogue29

So i am almost done back reading this entire forum...man what a bunch of info...i see hobbyking is a good source of parts.. i see the boardsharks is a waste of time to mess with.. i split open the nqd today and im going to reseal with marine grade silicone and epoxy the underneath bolt areas. Should i reuse the large and small metal rod weights that were in there and is there a certain area to glue them in. Also do you reuse the foam in there? do i replace the servo linkage tube or use the original? I will post a ton of questions and hope i don't piss anybody off if you guys are way beyond this point. Maybe someone elese who is getting started can hook up and bounce parts sources off each other. Thanks.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.