Community
Search
Notices
RC Boats General Discussion Discuss general rc boating topics here.

RC Surfer

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2012, 02:10 PM
Justin-san

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: RC Surfer

Hey guys I checked out the offload tracks and the one off 221 fabricante no longer exists. The other is Pico, calle amanecer, Sombra.
Old 02-18-2012, 02:47 PM
itsfishi

hi Dom

to check amp draw i use an amp meter it shows amps, voltage drop, mah used in real time and records max amp draw, max voltage drop and mah used. so you can either read as you are testing on the bench or in the tub for a load test, if you cant fit in in your board. it will fit in mine so i have put it in a few times to get readings . most amps are drawn when accellerating hard, if doing in a tub just need to throttle up a few times quickly to get readings, water goes everywhere so be ready.

i really have no idea actually how fast my board goes, depending on setup id guess between 30-50km/h, it is going a little slower since doing the jimirocker though, more drag. id really love to have it run smooth without that neg rocker i guess it means playing with shaft angle and cg. was thinking it would be cool if i could use some type of adjustable stinger type thing so could adjust the angle easily to find the sweet spot.

you should only have to set throttle range and neutral once, maybe try reversing throttle channel and swapping a motor wire, i think you might be right would be easy to try anyway.

1 other thing i think you should strongly consider after looking at your pics and you saying about water issues, set your deck bolt holes outside of your seal areas, it can be an issue on nqd and kyosho the deck bolt holes can allow water to enter the hull if not sealed right but if they are outside the seal area and the holes to the nut are not part of your open hull area the issue is illiminated, see maui's boards and other custom boards are like this,if there is no way water can enter the hull through any of those holes it can only be a good thing.

i check for leaks by removing my flex shaft replacing the deck lid.then i attach a long piece of tube to the drive shaft hole which i blow through pushing air into the hull then i listen all over the hull for air leaks, can even submerge it if you want but i seem to have no prob finding them just listening, when i hear one then i put a bit of spit on the area and look for bubbles. easy. heaps better way than just drowning her in the bath and looking for bubbles.

later
Old 02-18-2012, 04:40 PM
Cananzi

dom

well done mate looks great.
definantly iron out the leaks before you put it in the surf.
Old 02-18-2012, 05:21 PM
Jimi Findrix

YPC

Your board is very light.
Should do some massive airs.

I just can't wait to see what happens when you send it out in some nice surf.

JIMI

Old 02-20-2012, 08:54 AM
YPC

Hi Cananzi and Jimmi

Thanks for the thumbs up ! - much appreciated !

I have had a good days testing today

I 'smoked' the small motor whilst testing with 3c packs ( OK - all together now " I TOLD YOU SO...............................LOL)

Anyways - fitted a HIMAN 3600kv motor which I had - made a water cooling jacket -AND - it works awesome !

0 degree timing - big punch out the hole.

Running 3c 2 bats in Parallel - one in the front and one in the back - CG 47%

Trying to upload a YouTube video of some flat water testing

Thought to debate - I have 'almost NO water coming into the hull - only a few drops.
I had sealed the antenna tube of- since been wondering - if the inside of the radio box 'heats up' do you think it will create a vacuum that could pull the water 'up' the drive shaft.
I will open the antena tube and test this theory tomorrow.

RUN TIME

Set on 3.7 v cut of

2 X 3c 1800mAh Nano packs in Parallel (3600mAh)
Brand new packs
Hard acceleration - Pretty flat out driving - 10 minutes.
11.3 v - 1500 mA used per pack (3000 mA's)
motor timing set at 0 degrees.

Average Amp draw:

80% amps spent =3600 mA's divided by 10 minutes = 360 mA's/minute
360 mA's x 60 minutes = 21600 ma/hour = 21.6 Amps drawn on average over the ten minutes. ( not a bad consumption)

When I ran the set up on a 3.4V cut o,f I managed 15 minutes of hard throttling and fast run time - but I used 100% of the amps.

I reckon with the packs 'run in' I should do close to a 20 minute sessions in some clean surf.

I have ordered 2200 mAh packs ( cant fit anything bigger) 4400 mAh will be plenty.

I do think that the 3c set up is 'to fast' I will try it out in the surf - but reckon the 7.4 v x 3600 kv will be good.

Regards
Dominic (YPC)

Regards
Dominic (YPC)

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ca81231.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	10.9 KB
ID:	1729505   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sq48097.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	14.9 KB
ID:	1729506   Click image for larger version

Name:	Qo41223.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	10.4 KB
ID:	1729507   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ki18644.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	11.2 KB
ID:	1729508  
Old 02-20-2012, 02:23 PM
itsfishi

Dom to bad about that motor might just be for 2s, i have heard the same thing from guys running it in their jet boats, 2s ok 3s smoked, and they weigh in around 800grams and have 19mm impellor. lucky you had that other motor, i think you will like it better anyway.

Changed my prop back to the 30mm berylium, changed a cooling line that was restricting water flow around motor, and using the new harness on the 4 2s bats i am now getting over 17 minutes(4400mah) massive difference, has added 5 minutes, that is my favourite prop it just seems to run smoother through the water(x430) than any other. Motor temp is about 48c batts 40c and esc 35.
Been looking different batt setups and i might try 3 x 2200mah 3s for total 6600mah 3s setup. that would be a long runtime and would fit nice, 2 in the back 1 up front.

surf was small this morning but pretty fun got some good waves, but snapped her arm off again and lost the hatch cover for rudder,just forgot to do it up, arggh.

have a great day
Old 02-20-2012, 03:48 PM
Cananzi

dom

theres bound to be hickups. footage of it running would be great.

fishi

extra 5mins thats wicked!!
i changed down to smaller props and runtime seems bit longer.i will have to time it.

Old 02-20-2012, 05:19 PM
itsfishi

Cana i couldnt believe it, 5 whole mins massive difference. I need to see how it goes with my other batts now.

think it was the combination of shorter wiring harness improved cooling and prop.

later
Old 02-20-2012, 07:14 PM
Cananzi

Guys
theres a new series of lipos from zippy. size are very intresting. alot seem to be thinner but tad longer. Its got me thinking about running two 5800mahs 3s on top of eachother in parallel now.

zippy compact
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...Y_Compact.html

Old 02-20-2012, 07:56 PM
YPC

Hi Guys !

Some test footage - flat water - Our Bro' surfer has since had a stance change - still to manufacture.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_nCg0C0kaFI

<iframe width="480" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/_nCg0C0kaFI" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Great news with better run time Itsfishi - goes to show what heat can do

Regards
Dominic (YPC)
Old 02-20-2012, 08:16 PM
Saildoggie

Cool vid and big kudos on a successful first build Dom!

Gotta be stoked with that performance, the thing blazes!!!
Old 02-20-2012, 08:34 PM
YPC

Hi Saildoggie

Thanks for the rating ! its been great fun working on this project - Ive learnt ( learning) allot- make a change from the GAS F1 stuff....................................

Im running 3C's - and reckon that the 2C's would work fine in the surf.

I managed 10 minutes of running around at that pace on new batteries - so I should get a good session time in the surf.

Want to finnish the 'new Bro' and get some surf in , by the end of the week.

Of on a family vacation next week - so need to get it done,

Regards
Dominic (YPC)

PS - itsfishi = why wont my video embed ?
Old 02-21-2012, 04:02 AM
itsfishi

Cana nice pickup on those lipos,11600mah would be insane. i could fit 3 of those 2200 3s in my board 6600mah would be a long run. this might sound funny but i think i'd stress about water leaks if it ran for ages, kinda good to give everything a check(probably just an NQD thing)just in case, guess it shows the confidence i have in the old girl.

dom has inspired me to make a new figure, props to anyone who has made one. she/he, havnt decided yet is a alloy skeleton with i think its called EVA foam over the top, same sort of idea dom has done, thanks man i stole your concept. its coming along quite well and might get to test tomorrow ...maybe. it will weigh in around 90grams 50 less than my lisa. oh yeah it will be a chick im gonna use lisa's head.doh. fyi lisa's head alone weighs 20 grams.

dom to do the video selectg the youtube tab and insert url between the 2 youtubes, saying that there have been times when that hasnt worked for me either but that is the way to do it.

Has anyone used a airtronics transmitter, would like some feedback as i am seriously thinking of getting the mt4 that has telemetry, looks like a sick radio from what ive seen. bit scary the price of recievers if it gets wet.

later ladies
Old 02-21-2012, 08:10 AM
RC HAWAIIAN STYLE

Ypc

she rips or he rips looks good dom . maui john
Old 02-21-2012, 09:42 AM
kitekook

ItsFishi

Funny you decide to keep her head...we used to pull it off and replace it with an antenna ball back in the 'ol days....it was soooooo heavy.

I just upgraded my radio to the Specktrum DX3S and marine receiver combo...suposed to be the best??????

it does telemetry(I didn't get any of that hardware...ebay, good deal you know)

Look in the owners' manual...speed/rpm is read off some gear r/c cars...voltage read off the receiver (what about our BEC's) didn't see how telemetry was going to help

us...could be wrong? Radio will be here end of week!

Wish my new surfer was going to be ready by then....could be if I don't surf at all this week and just build.....NO WAY!

a surfer dude told me about this spot up the street....SWEEET! Beautiful, reef, shore pound, good at any tide....best spot I have ever been to.... a little farther to drive;9

miles from home.

Secret spot called WindanSea with Marine St around the corner.....lol

Off there now...will post photos/vid soon.
Old 02-21-2012, 10:21 AM
Saildoggie

Surfed Windandsea may times in my College years Kitekook, not so secret but great break for sure.

Lived right there in OB on Brighton Ave. 204 to be exact!!!

No time to build and waiting on parts, hope to at least glass the deck and radio compartment of my longboard this weekend.
Old 02-21-2012, 12:15 PM
YPC

Thanks Maui -Thanks ALL for the KUDO wishes !

Hopefully we will hit the surf this week. ( Im on vacation next week - so it has to happen)

I have to say that I have really enjoyed this project over the past weeks -AND - it just keeps getting better.

Its been very encouraging having every ones input and interaction on the various topics.
Definitely - more of a 'community' than just a forum.

Itsfishi - those mega amps do sound GOOD - but - I think you have a point - I reckon 15- 20 minute sessions should be the mark. The longer we run these set ups - the hotter they get. The set back with the rc surfer is that the motor is housed in a relatively small 'air tight' compartment - shared with a ESC and some battery packs that all 'turn on the heat.
It get rather 'stuffy in there !

2 x 2200mAh will give me 15 - 20 minutes - depending how hard we ride- and if they are a 5C recharge pack - you have two sets- charging at say 7 amps on the beach. you can have them ready in 20 minutes.
Still need to decide if its 7.4 or 11.1 volts I want.
Will have to see what feels best in the SURF - flat water just screams for FLAT OUT SPEED !

Good on you for you trying to make your own 'Surfer' - I dont think the Alloy is a good call - it will bend and throw things of canter. You also need to consider the aerodynamic shape of the surfer - for the faster runs - you dont want 'lift effect'
I noticed on my initial tests - using the original Bro I made- his stance to the right, definitely tended to roll the board to the right when the board got air.

My new Bro' head is better centered on the board, with a more upright stance - 300- looks the business.
He is a tad thicker in body proportion and he has a very nice aspect ration in relation to the board.
Total weight = 100 grams
Still needs to go for a 'face paint'

Looking forward to seeing your Body transplant........................................ ............LoL

Regards
Dominic (YPC)

Name:	Mj24678.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	103.0 KB
ID:	1730048   Click image for larger version

Name:	By76447.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	100.2 KB
ID:	1730049  
Old 02-21-2012, 12:30 PM
itsfishi

kite i probably wouldnt keep the head if the new figure didnt weigh so much less, can always change it later.
keen to hear how the dx3s goes, i will check it out. did not know it does telemetry. i could just get the quanum telemetry unit from HK for $50. just a good excuse to get a flash radio.

Dom my figure is way rough compared to yours, alloy is not perfect i agree but the fact it can be bent i like because it can be bent into diff positions, wont bend heaps far but enough. Hoping i got the gauge right so it wont get bent in the surf. tests will tell. the eva foam i used is super light compared to neoprene. what did you use to shape yours?
your board looks good get some waves

later
Old 02-21-2012, 01:43 PM
Andrew46

Wow you guys are all such innovators and willing to experiment and push the envelope.  It's a great read and perhaps one of the better forums out there in RC.  I'm still trying to piece together the parts to make two surfers.  My goal still is to keep the price for each one under $200.  I'm thinking that I might not include the battery.    I have taken heed your advice on my list thus far.  My question now is I need a strong motor mount.  I found one on Hobby King's web site that might work if glassed in but not sure.

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/%5F%5F12687%5F%5F36%5FSize%5FAdjustable%5FMotor%5F Mount%5Fwith%5FWater%5FCooling.html

Or does anyone know of someone making one at the moment? 

My second question is the rudder.  I've read Jimi's mod to the stock one and have seen rc surfer's single rudder.  Any opinions which is better.  I can certainly make one but interested in people's experience with the single rudder vs bi fin.  

I promise when I have compiled all the gear, make an exhaustive list of parts and their cost for someone who wants to build a surfer.  I could, but I suck at it, upload pics during the build for that person who wants to pull together a surfer based on all the experience everyone has learned thus far.  I guess this would not be so much for the innovator but the person who wants to jump into the rc surfing world and put a board together that works well and is reliable.
Old 02-21-2012, 02:54 PM
kitekook

What is it about the thought of...Clean,peeling, and uncrowed waves that turns you into a dumbo???[&:]

Ran out to go surf and oooppps forgot the rudder #@$!

Friday, I got to surf....was in such a hurry that I didn't look at the exposure on my helmet cam.....1265 overexposed Jpegs ![:@]

It was real good...just no photos.

Breathe deep...relax... tomorrow!
Old 02-21-2012, 02:57 PM
itsfishi

Andrew if you have not ordered your motor yet, after thinking about it a 3660 might be too long and hit your lid with a cooling kacket on it, i think my 3650 came very close when it was mounted at the stock angle, can anyone else confirm or deny if its the case.

as for mount i made my own from a T piece of aluminium, works quite well as it buts up in the right place on top of where the old mount was and can be glued and screwed in. you can see it quite well in this vid

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xGt3GqJ4RHY[/youtube]

would be cool to have a cooled mount, i have no idea how that would fit but for $6 if ya dont use it, who cares.

rudder i use single fin and like it. the way i got it setup i can remove my shaft for lubing without having to remove rudder, something to think about. gotta grease shaft often.

later
Old 02-21-2012, 02:59 PM
itsfishi

Kite ive had days when ive got to the beach and went home for something i forgot 3 or 4 times, no screwdriver, loose shaft, rudder hatch etc etc lol
Old 02-21-2012, 05:00 PM
Cananzi

hey guys

I had some carnage this morning. I was in my usual spot down burleigh beachfront and 2 surfers decided to surf right where i was rc surfing .i really do not understand why when there was several breaks/peaks alone the beach.
the old guy went to drop in on my wave and as i went to turn outta of the way for him ,as he got up he fell right infront of the board and my prop hit the top of his left hand lol CRAZY! ..it cut him pretty decent ,ouch!!

ended up packing up after a few packs and headed down south to balinga and it was honestly the best glassy surf i have been in.small 2-4ft faces and barreling off its head. I got a fair few good barrels and made it out. hoping to catch it tomorra on the same sort of tides but this time get my friend to take some footage or shots.

what a day!

Old 02-21-2012, 09:44 PM
itsfishi

Dom to imbed vid you gota select the YouTube tab then paste the URL in between the 2 youtubes.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iUT5RjNQr-w[/youtube]
Old 02-22-2012, 10:13 AM
YPC

Hi Itsfishi

Well done - She looks Great - 'feeling kind-a-blue' all I want to do is have a surf with you tra lal la la la .......................
- the surf is really small when it is even to small for a rc surfer..........................................

Well finally our Surfer Bro' is back from 'make-up' - couldn't keep his eyes to himself .........................................
Now there are no more excuses to not hit the BEACH !
I am very happy with the 'overall look' somehow the camera just doesn't tell the story as it is in reality - BUT - I am STOKED
I am now set up to produce the 'Surfer Bro' if anyone would need one for their board.
He is 300mm high with a center to center foot stance of 180mm - weighs 100 grams. Head is fiber glass shell filled with polyurethane foam ( water proof)
Body is of a flexible bi-axial cloth core, laminated with neoprene - totally Flexible - yet rigid enough to right the board.

We had a 'Duve't wave session - photo shoot.......................................LOL

Hey Cananzi -It seems that the rc surfers are building a reputation for taking our 'real surfers' ................................dropping in on a little rc surfer .................shame on him.

Dominic (YPC)
Youngz Performance Craft
[email protected]

Name:	Ki19058.jpg
Size:	111.3 KB
ID:	1730393   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zx72249.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	72.4 KB
ID:	1730394   Click image for larger version

Name:	Gd93725.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	139.5 KB
ID:	1730395   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pn36134.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	142.0 KB
ID:	1730396   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rp42852.jpg
Size:	123.3 KB
ID:	1730397  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.