Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Car General Discussions
Reload this Page >

Lipo & Brushless on a budget.. what would you get?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

Lipo & Brushless on a budget.. what would you get?

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2010, 07:49 PM
RobbieP
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Lipo & Brushless on a budget.. what would you get?

ORIGINAL: Anthoop

ORIGINAL: RobbieP
Perhaps it best you wait to use any big words until you learn how to spell.
I wasn't aware that there were any tinfoil hat wearerslived in the UK, I thought you guys just had bad teeth. Are you on meds too?
Ordinarily I would not entertain trolls such as the like of you, however it is Friday and I am drunk so....
Yes there are many people that wear tinfoil hats within the UK, in fact I will make and wear one right now for your entertainment. Ineveitably I have bad teeth as indeed does every other UK resident, to presume any different would only be a failing on your part.
In your wisdom you forgot that when you type an abbreviation such as "meds", the abbreviation should be noted with a full stop.
Look, troll, you're the one coming in spointing crap looking to stir the pot, trolling- yet adding nothing to the original discussion.
Take your pompous british arse and go troll on one of your UK forums.
Old 10-29-2010, 09:07 PM
McWolf_101

I believe that this has become ridiculous. First, 'kaiser01' is correct on both points, regarding HobbyWing and Thunder Tiger. Second, to the OP, many individuals, including those who race using the more expensive kits, have only praise for HobbyWing's XERun systems and the Turnigy batteries. I do not personally own either, as I am more inclined to nitro side of the hobby, but I do know a few people with the HobbyWing XERun systems and they have had no complaints. Third, as always, there are exceptions to the rule of "You get what you pay for." For example, will a pair of jeans that cost $3000 outlast a pair of jeans that cost $50, assuming that both are worn and maintained equally? It is highly doubtful. In this hobby, the life of the products, budget or otherwise, is almost entirely dependent on MAINTENANCE. Whether you purchase a $350 Castle Creations system or a $110 HobbyWing system, maintenance is key to the extended and efficient life of your product.
Old 10-29-2010, 09:14 PM
RobbieP
Banned

ORIGINAL: McWolf_101

Third, as always, there are exceptions to the rule of "You get what you pay for."

Few if any.

We're not paying for designer names, or labels, like jeans - this an entirely different matter, R&D, testing, etc., and other things involved.
If it was the exact same product with a different label stuck on it, and the prices were drastically different, then it would be different. But it's not.
Old 10-29-2010, 09:47 PM
McWolf_101

First, let me say that I do not wish this to turn into an unnecessary affair. Second, if you believe that we are not paying for a name, why is it that Savöx and Spektrum servos cost less than Team Orion servos when they are the same product with different labels? Moving into 1/1 cars, why is it that the Lexus IS300 is more expensive than the Toyota Altezza when they are essentially the same vehicle? These are just two examples from different product realms, and I am certain that there are more. The truth of the matter is, as human beings, we tend to purchase products based on a name.
Old 10-29-2010, 09:58 PM
SyCo_VeNoM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: McWolf_101

First, let me say that I do not wish this to turn into an unnecessary affair. Second, if you believe that we are not paying for a name, why is it that Savöx and Spektrum servos cost less than Team Orion servos when they are the same product with different labels? Moving into 1/1 cars, why is it that the Lexus IS300 is more expensive than the Toyota Altezza when they are essentially the same vehicle? These are just two examples from different product realms, and I am certain that there are more. The truth of the matter is, as human beings, we tend to purchase products based on a name.
Yup you can look at food, eggs in particular seeing it was shown that all the brands come from 3-4 hen houses. Hostess sells their goodies in Aldis as Aldis' brand for a fraction of what I can get it for at other stores under the official Hostess name.
Same thing with kitchen appliances. Whirlpool owns a pile of of the appliance brands. This summer shopping for a fridge bought a Amana which cost $200 less than the Maytag equivalent, they both had the same exact features, and from talking to a service guy they are internally the same. He said the only differences in the 2 models were the handles were a little bit different and the sticker on the top. Part for part internally they were the same.
Old 10-29-2010, 10:03 PM
RobbieP
Banned

The <nobr>Lexus</nobr> IS is a series of small family cars / compact executive cars sold by Lexus since 1998. The IS was introduced as an entry-level sport model slotted below the ES in the Lexus lineup (and outside of North America, the Lexus GS). The IS was originally sold under the <nobr>Toyota</nobr> Altezza nameplate in Japan (the word "altezza" is Italian for "highness") until the introduction of the Lexus brand and the second generation Lexus IS design in 2006.

Same car, different markets.
Old 10-29-2010, 10:03 PM
McWolf_101

Thank you for those other examples S_V. Actually, here in Barbados, we all know that our eggs are packaged in the same place *LOL*. Plus, I can now purchase Amana appliances with confidence. To RP, I understand that they were supposed to be for different markets, but the fact remains that the same car is sold at a different price as a result of the name that it is under.
Old 10-29-2010, 10:13 PM
RobbieP
Banned

nope
Old 10-30-2010, 08:47 AM
brickhead179
My Feedback: (1)

I just read this forum from start to finish. Why does everyone keep feeding the robbiep. guy? You guys should get back to the topic at the start of this thread. So to the OP..I fly airplanes. They are completely different from cars. If i throw a cheap system in my buggy, i can have a fun basher for cheap. But airplanes require more. They need a system that runs and runs well through stress. So in my experience i have seen that Hobbywing and such companies make nice qualtiy components for rc's. Just dont expect to get data logging capabilities like castle esc can provide. Hobbywing stuff is good qualtiy. They can do what theyre supposed to do. I fly my favorite spitfire with a exceed rc bl motor. I used to have an eflite bl that set me back 60 dollars. It kept messing up and was a crappy experience. Then i got that exceed rc motor for 10 dollars. Came with all parts and accesories and such. For only ten bucks. And just so somme people dont start trolling on me telking me im a china buyer..in that same spitfire i have an eflite esc and an eflite lipo..not cheap at all. All in all, answer the guys question people. He needs to know what he can use for cheap. Doesnt mean he wants a war on his thread about what YOU think is better. He cares about what HE could use. Common guys lets be civil.
Old 10-30-2010, 11:13 AM
RCER88
My Feedback: (25)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: brickhead179

I just read this forum from start to finish. Why does everyone keep feeding the robbiep. guy? You guys should get back to the topic at the start of this thread. So to the OP..I fly airplanes. They are completely different from cars. If i throw a cheap system in my buggy, i can have a fun basher for cheap. But airplanes require more. They need a system that runs and runs well through stress. So in my experience i have seen that Hobbywing and such companies make nice qualtiy components for rc's. Just dont expect to get data logging capabilities like castle esc can provide. Hobbywing stuff is good qualtiy. They can do what theyre supposed to do. I fly my favorite spitfire with a exceed rc bl motor. I used to have an eflite bl that set me back 60 dollars. It kept messing up and was a crappy experience. Then i got that exceed rc motor for 10 dollars. Came with all parts and accesories and such. For only ten bucks. And just so somme people dont start trolling on me telking me im a china buyer..in that same spitfire i have an eflite esc and an eflite lipo..not cheap at all. All in all, answer the guys question people. He needs to know what he can use for cheap. Doesnt mean he wants a war on his thread about what YOU think is better. He cares about what HE could use. Common guys lets be civil.

Amen!!! I completely agree. I have ten dollar motors flying two hundred plus dollar airplanes. I have tried big money stuff. Why buy it? I can get reliable performance for my planes using off brand stuff that in most cases are built in the same factories using some of the same components as the high end stuff.

I use many items I have bought off ebay and at Hobby King. I would recommend the Turnigy batteries and a Turnigy charger. Mine work great! And not ezxpensive. The motors from HK are really good to I have recieved one bad one. Now discontinued I recieved a credit and bought something else. Turnigy ESC's work well too.
Old 10-30-2010, 08:00 PM
RobbieP
Banned

Well, was at the track today and had my fourth (4th) Turnigy, POS, pack die on me.
Twofullminutes left in the second qualifier, I come onto the main straight, and my car goes to quarter-speed. Went from being on TQ pace, to finishing 5th. LOL

You see, all the idiots here have been trying to say I didn't have any, had no experience with them, when in fact I did.
None of these packs were a year old, same mAh rating, bought seperately so 3 of the 4 were out of different batches, all had limited runtime on them, all had been charged using the 1C method, all were regularly balanced, all were stored as per recommended minimum voltage.None had been abused, or neglected.
I've been waiting for this last pack to die, and today was the day.

THAT'S why I'm not a fan of Turnigy. You get what you pay for, buy cheap and get cheap performance. That's what I get for trying to save a buck.

Hide Signatures
Old 10-31-2010, 02:52 PM
SyCo_VeNoM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Well, was at the track today and had my fourth (4th) Turnigy, POS, pack die on me.
Two full minutes left in the second qualifier, I come onto the main straight, and my car goes to quarter-speed. Went from being on TQ pace, to finishing 5th. LOL

You see, all the idiots here have been trying to say I didn't have any, had no experience with them, when in fact I did.
None of these packs were a year old, same mAh rating, bought seperately so 3 of the 4 were out of different batches, all had limited runtime on them, all had been charged using the 1C method, all were regularly balanced, all were stored as per recommended minimum voltage. None had been abused, or neglected.

THAT'S why I'm not a fan of Turnigy. You get what you pay for, buy cheap and get cheap performance. That's what I get for trying to save a buck.

Hide Signatures
how if you never owned one?
not even 3 DAYS ago you said you would never buy one now you roasted 4?
Please get your story straight before trolling no way in HELL did you get the packs in less than 3 days unless you drove to the HK warehouse and kicked their door in, and stole em.

Seen enough bad reviews that I wouldn't waste my money.
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/fb.asp?m=10101980
Old 10-31-2010, 03:55 PM
ScottStaypuff

ORIGINAL: SyCo_VeNoM

Two full minutes left in the second qualifier, I come onto the main straight, and my car goes to quarter-speed. Went from being on TQ pace, to finishing 5th. LOL

None of these packs were a year old, same mAh rating, bought seperately so 3 of the 4 were out of different batches, all had limited runtime on them, all had been charged using the 1C method, all were regularly balanced, all were stored as per recommended minimum voltage. None had been abused, or neglected.

Hide Signatures
Please get your story straight before trolling no way in HELL did you get the packs in less than 3 days unless you drove to the HK warehouse and kicked their door in, and stole em.

BUSTED!
Old 10-31-2010, 05:04 PM
RobbieP
Banned

ORIGINAL: ScottStaypuff

ORIGINAL: SyCo_VeNoM

Twofullminutes left in the second qualifier, I come onto the main straight, and my car goes to quarter-speed. Went from being on TQ pace, to finishing 5th. LOL

None of these packs were a year old, same mAh rating, bought seperately so 3 of the 4 were out of different batches, all had limited runtime on them, all had been charged using the 1C method, all were regularly balanced, all were stored as per recommended minimum voltage.None had been abused, or neglected.

Hide Signatures

BUSTED!
Seems that some of the resident idiots need to brush up on their reading skills, or are saying they're mind readers - neither of which they're very good at.

Because I never said such a thing.
Old 10-31-2010, 05:22 PM
McWolf_101

You know RP, anyone, including you, can click on the link provided by S_V and see that you did indeed say so. However, I may be mistaken, and it may have been one of your relatives that is also an RC hobbyist. If that is the case, I apologise.
Old 10-31-2010, 06:03 PM
RobbieP
Banned

Sorry that English is not your native language.
You can always sign up for some classes in the language, or one in reading comprehension, at your local adult education center.

Good luck.

Old 10-31-2010, 06:14 PM
McWolf_101

*ahem* Moving on to the OP, have you yet made a decision on your purchase or are you still between minds?
Old 12-12-2015, 11:13 AM
arduinoAndZipties

I used to use brushed until I found a sale on eBay for a cheap Leopard LBWR3650 17.5t motor. I use a Hobbywing 60 amp ESC and a Turnigy 5000 20c battery.
My car goes 25 mph and can do burnouts and cookies... plenty of power... easily 45 minutes of run time bashing.
I have recently ordered a generic 4 pole 3900KV motor for racing. I will post back later when it arrives.
Old 12-12-2015, 12:37 PM
Anthoop

Originally Posted by arduinoAndZipties
I used to use brushed until I found a sale on eBay for a cheap Leopard LBWR3650 17.5t motor. I use a Hobbywing 60 amp ESC and a Turnigy 5000 20c battery.
My car goes 25 mph and can do burnouts and cookies... plenty of power... easily 45 minutes of run time bashing.
I have recently ordered a generic 4 pole 3900KV motor for racing. I will post back later when it arrives.
You could start your own thread...but anyway the thread bump made me laugh....wonder what happened to Robbie?