Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Car General Discussions
Reload this Page >

Total amount of time to break in Nitro engine

Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

Total amount of time to break in Nitro engine

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2011, 11:43 AM
6stringer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Total amount of time to break in Nitro engine

Hey,

How much total time does it take to property break in a nitro engine? I have the K4.6 engine that comes with the Savage X SS and want to break it in properly. Based on the instructions it's going to take about 4-5 tanks of fuel. I'm busy with work all week (9-5er) and might just wait till saturday as Idon't want to be rushed since I'm a rookie.

Any experience?

Also, is it best to do the entire procedure all at once? Or is it okay to break it up and do it over teh course of a couple days.I am assuming all at once in order to fully regulate the tempuratues.

Old 06-14-2011, 12:05 PM
My Feedback: (4)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: Total amount of time to break in Nitro engine

It took me about 70-75 minutes to break in my 18 CV-RX. With how pig rich they're usually run they burn a tank up quickly. Just make sure it warms up fully while breaking it in.

also, it won't hurt to do part one day and part another
Old 06-14-2011, 12:05 PM
stoya789

you can break it in less than a second with a hammer
Old 06-14-2011, 12:07 PM

ORIGINAL: stoya789

you can break it in less than a second with a hammer
'Sup Clarkson!
Old 06-14-2011, 03:24 PM
Chucksolo69

I remember back about 10 years ago, Traxxas said to break in their .15 engine with 4 tanks of fuel driving slowly with the body off. I did that and the engines lasted a long time although I did eventually wear out each of the engines on my TMaxx, Nitro Rustler and Nitro 4-Tec. In contrast, when I bought my Losi Ten T about 3 weeks back, the instructions just said to take it easy for the first couple of tanks and not go full throttle. I noticed that on the first 4 tanks, taking it really easy, going about 1/2 to 3/4 throttle it would heat the engine up to just past the safe zone (190-230 degrees), at which time the telemetry on my radio started warning me. I stopped until the engine cooled down to about 100 degrees and started again. Since about the 6th tank of fuel, the engine warms up to about 190 degrees and pretty much stays there, give or take 5 degrees or so even going full throttle on grass! I took the precaution of running Blue Thunder First Run fuel for the first quart (about 10 tanks full) and just this weekend switched to 20% Losi Nitrotane (expensive stuff, 15 bucks a quart). When I first got the truck all I did was richen the mix with the HSN about an "hour" or a 12th of a turn. I haven't moved it and the car is now a rocket with the engine starting every time and no increase in temp at all. I would say with these new engines, you just need to run a tad rich, take it easy for the first few tanks and don't go balls out. I also highly recommend the Blue Thunder First Run fuel.
Old 06-14-2011, 03:34 PM
ImpalaPolicePack

do a google search on ''heat-cycle break-in method''

its the one i prefer and the one that gives my engines the maximum power/longevity. i dont follow manufacturer's instruction...
Old 06-14-2011, 06:49 PM

What I did when I broke mine in:

1: Set carb to defaults
2: Start it
3: Start driving it. I wasn't hard on it, I wasn't cutting donuts, I wasn't letting it rev all that high, but I was putting enough load on it to get the temps up past 200F.
4: Run 90% of the tank dry, stop engine, let cool, refill tank.
5: Repeat four more times
6: Engine's broken in, go bonkers!
ORIGINAL: Chucksolo69

I remember back about 10 years ago, Traxxas said to break in their .15 engine with 4 tanks of fuel driving slowly with the body off. I did that and the engines lasted a long time although I did eventually wear out each of the engines on my TMaxx, Nitro Rustler and Nitro 4-Tec. In contrast, when I bought my Losi Ten T about 3 weeks back, the instructions just said to take it easy for the first couple of tanks and not go full throttle. I noticed that on the first 4 tanks, taking it really easy, going about 1/2 to 3/4 throttle it would heat the engine up to just past the safe zone (190-230 degrees), at which time the telemetry on my radio started warning me. I stopped until the engine cooled down to about 100 degrees and started again. Since about the 6th tank of fuel, the engine warms up to about 190 degrees and pretty much stays there, give or take 5 degrees or so even going full throttle on grass! I took the precaution of running Blue Thunder First Run fuel for the first quart (about 10 tanks full) and just this weekend switched to 20% Losi Nitrotane (expensive stuff, 15 bucks a quart). When I first got the truck all I did was richen the mix with the HSN about an ''hour'' or a 12th of a turn. I haven't moved it and the car is now a rocket with the engine starting every time and no increase in temp at all. I would say with these new engines, you just need to run a tad rich, take it easy for the first few tanks and don't go balls out. I also highly recommend the Blue Thunder First Run fuel.
Break-in fuels are unneccesary. My engine is still perfect inside after two gallons, yet during breakin I simply ran the tail end of a quart of Odonnel RTR 20% blend.
Old 06-14-2011, 07:07 PM
Chucksolo69

Well, to tell the truth, I really didn't buy the Blue Thunder First Run because it is break in fuel. Basically I bought it because it was only $9.99 a quart and the other fuels they had there were much more expensive. I broke all my Traxxas vehicles in with their 20% Top Fuel.
Old 06-14-2011, 10:22 PM
tommygun32

6stringer, I'd wait for the weekend and do it all at once.

I prefer the Heat Cycle Method and as ImpalaPolice said, just google or youtube search that title. Loads of vids out there showing you exactly what to do.

In addition to the Heat Cycle, I keep the settings on the rich side after a 6 - 7 tank break in for the entire rest of the gallon.

I use Byrons Gen 2 - 30%.

"Total Time" for break in...about 1 1/2 to 2 hours. Remember to set your piston to bottom dead center as soon as you turn the engine off and let it cool back down.

Restarting a new engine can be problematic at times due to how tight the sleeve (compression) is. Try to heat the cylinder head up with a heat gun / hair dryer before trying to start. Also keep a wide flat head screwdriver with you as you may need to force the fly wheel through its top stroke if the piston gets stuck. If you find it just keeps getting stuck as you're trying to start it, loosen the glow plug out by about a quarter turn. Once it gets running, tighten it back down to wrist tight.

Good luck.
Old 06-15-2011, 04:49 AM
6stringer

Tommygun,

Thanks for the advice.I am having that very problem with the motor sticking when the piston is at top dead center. In fact, I can't even pull the damn string. Make things more problematic is Ican't set my gear mesh up properly as the motor locks up so bad that the spur gear will not turn with the wheels. Getting a piece of paper through there is pretty difficult.It takes a lot of force to "unstick" the piston.

Are you suggesting to go through the break-in process will ease up this tension and relieve some of the pinch?

Or am I dealing with a situation where I just need to start the break-in process or should I start thinking about going back to the hobby shop to return the motor.

Thoughts?
Old 06-16-2011, 02:37 AM
tommygun32

Just start the break in process. Try to heat the motor up with a heat gun or hair dryer as well before starting it. Use the flat head screwdriver to lever the flywheel from under the car where the fly wheel groove is in the chasis. Once finished with the break in, yes it will loosen the compression a little bit, but you want compression to remain as well....it just won't be soooo tight.

Good luck