Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

When would I be ready for a kit?

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2011, 07:26 PM
Meafordguy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default When would I be ready for a kit?

Seriously, Im on my second RTR car and have replaced several parts in each. I look at the kit manuals and they seem pretty daunting. How involved is the assembling? It is showing every washer and part for shocks and everything to assemble painstakingly. I"m not sure I could handle it yet.
Old 09-20-2011, 07:53 PM
sheograth

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: When would I be ready for a kit?

They look daunting but they're not. Just keep it organized and clean, and go slow.
Old 09-20-2011, 07:59 PM
SyCo_VeNoM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Try a simple cheap tamiya kit if you want to see how it is.
They are not hard IMO. I don't think I've spent more than 3 hours on a kit tops. Hardest part depending on the kit I find is usually the shocks (royal PITA on the jammin .5 CRT). I say depending cause some kits the shocks are garbage that I don't bother touching, and put aftermarkets on straight out of the box.
I actually find the kits easier than the models I used to build when I was a kid.
If you ever repaired your RC you can build a kit
Old 09-20-2011, 08:04 PM
jermpool

Agree shocks are the hardest part, and with take your time and stay organised. Make sure you read the directions thoroughly and it will be fun and easy.
Old 09-21-2011, 02:28 AM
lez1troubles

Meafordguy, just strip one of your RTR's totally down and rebuild it. That'll give you an idea of whether or not you find it to difficult.
Old 09-21-2011, 04:28 AM
ts99ad

I just got 2 of the Jammin CRT.5 kits.  I too was a little overwhelmed at first, lots of parts.  But it was not that bad, if the CRT shocks are the most frustrating then you should have no issues.  I am a desk jockey and i put the CRT .5 together with no issues.  I had more problemsfiguring out the the clutch assembly, mainly due to my lack of mechanical knowledge.    I am a desk jockey and i put the CRT .5 together with no issues. 

Old 09-21-2011, 04:34 AM
The Mad Modder

My first hobby grade car was a kit. Just take your time and you'll do fine. I recommend Tamiya's kits because of their excellent instructions. They even have actual size parts pictures so you can hold the piece up to the picture and make sure you got the right piece.
Old 09-21-2011, 06:26 AM
SyCo_VeNoM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: ts99ad

I just got 2 of the Jammin CRT.5 kits. I too was a little overwhelmed at first, lots of parts. But it was not that bad, if the CRT shocks are the most frustrating then you should have no issues. I am a desk jockey and i put the CRT .5 together with no issues. I had more problemsfiguring out the the clutch assembly, mainly due to my lack of mechanical knowledge. I am a desk jockey and i put the CRT .5 together with no issues.

hardest part I had on the .5's shocks was getting that little ring in that hold the shock together. Reason I had issues was I got big fingers, and gripping that tiny damn part was hard. Not to mention dropping it, and looking for it for the next 40 mins due to it being almost invisible on a carpet Why I ranked it hardest shock I ever worked on lol Rest of the RC's are cake

BTW see the .5 kits are now $75 from ofna just got a 2nd the other week
Old 09-21-2011, 06:41 AM
proanti1
My Feedback: (2)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Make sure you buy a nice bearing kit... because completely tearing a kit apart to replace crappy stock bearings is a pain in the ass.
Old 09-21-2011, 07:11 AM
ejc34710

Back when i started rc, there was no such thing as rtr. Everything was a kit. Its not hard AT ALL to build an RC, actually its quite fun. Just make sure to stay organized during the build. Keep small parts in bowls or something. Keep your work area clean, read through the manual before you begin, don't get in a rush. And because your building it, future repairs will be much easier.
Old 09-21-2011, 07:37 AM
On2_n_On4

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: lez1troubles

Meafordguy, just strip one of your RTR's totally down and rebuild it. That'll give you an idea of whether or not you find it to difficult.

THIS!
Old 09-21-2011, 02:13 PM
Meafordguy

Thanks for all the replies.  That's why I like this forum the best!   Well I have done quite a bit of work on my cars already, replaced motor several times on the old brushed volcano, replaced a servo, replaced ball joints, wheels on rims etc.  Made numerous repairs, but it's not quite the same as trying to put together a steering assembly for the first time or similar issues.    If the instructions were good then yes I could do it, the instruction manuals I've seen so far are nothing more than a schematic, and if that is all I have to go on I'm in trouble.  
Maybe one day this winter I'll give it a shot.