Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

SPEC R SUCKS

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2012, 10:17 PM
Haddi Taha

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default SPEC R SUCKS

Ok I bought 2 Spec R Gear diffs for my Tamiya TB03 because I thought gear diffs make handling more consistent. Anyway I made the mistake off throwing my old ball diff away.

Each pair of diff gears on my ball diff lasted 1-2months depending on how much I drove, I was using a 8.5t motor with 3s and sometimes 2s. The Ball diff gear replacement comes with the smaller and bigger one for $5 which isn't bad considering that it was the onlything wearing on the car. I didn't even shim my diffs properly.

So ever since i got the spec r diffs, the rear of my car is a nightmare, each replacement gear for the spec r diff costed $10 and they don't come with the smaller gear so another $5 on top. After 5 months I just realised I payed over $200 in diffs. WHAT THE HELL.

During this last 5 months I have been doing everything to get the diffs to work, I also replaced the whole rear of my car and no work. To prove its the diffs, I put in a silvercan motor and the diff gear lasted 15 runs then it was stripped. The nylon they use on the diff gears is horrid. The original ball diff had delrin gears which are WAY BETTER.

Call me a troll i you like but I gave spec r a pretty fair chance, 10 gears and 2 whole diffs over a period of 5 months, all destroyed, it couldn't be a bad batch if I bought them all at different times.

Great $200 later I still have to buy a new ball diff for $50.

Do your self a favour and don't get anything from these Rips, thier items are poor quality, overpriced and don't work.

Old 01-20-2012, 07:15 AM
proanti1
My Feedback: (2)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: SPEC R SUCKS

Why would you think a gear diff is better than a ball diff?
Old 01-20-2012, 08:52 AM
nitrosportsandrunner

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

gear diff SHOULD last longer, but ball diffs are better for handling as they can be tuned.
Old 01-20-2012, 08:57 AM
proanti1
My Feedback: (2)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you burn up a ball diff, there is seriously something wrong with you.
Old 01-20-2012, 07:11 PM
Haddi Taha

ORIGINAL: proanti1

Ball diffs can come loose abit after some runs when your using 8.5t 3s setup on a tight track.

But I'm definetly going back to the Tamiya ball diffs.

I bought a 3racing diff for my tt01e and that costed $13 and could handle 40mph easily, the replacement gears for that diff was $3

This diff couldn't even handle 20mph for 15 runs and yes I shimmed it and did everything. I never used to shim the ball diffs when I used them and they lasted WAY longer.

Old 01-20-2012, 09:41 PM
The_Shark

oh, ive obliterated lots of ball diffs, mostly in a nitro evader (what a POS tranny) the ball diff would blow out in two runs, WHILE breaking them in, tried 5 times, proper lube different setups, different break in, even babying it, then i also have melted the diffs in rc18, but thats due to a WAAAY over the top motor (.9hp)

for the most part, ball diffs work well, and ive had them last a long time on quality cars/trucks.

to the OP, why in the heck would you spend $200 in diff parts?[X(] i give a car or part maybe 30% of the value of the car in one problem system, if it fails anymore i junk the part or the car.

i
Old 01-21-2012, 01:14 AM
Haddi Taha

ORIGINAL: The_Shark

oh, ive obliterated lots of ball diffs, mostly in a nitro evader (what a POS tranny) the ball diff would blow out in two runs, WHILE breaking them in, tried 5 times, proper lube different setups, different break in, even babying it, then i also have melted the diffs in rc18, but thats due to a WAAAY over the top motor (.9hp)

for the most part, ball diffs work well, and ive had them last a long time on quality cars/trucks.

to the OP, why in the heck would you spend $200 in diff parts?[X(] i give a car or part maybe 30% of the value of the car in one problem system, if it fails anymore i junk the part or the car.

i
I didn't realise I spent $200 in diff parts until I calculated it (by the number of unused diff housings that come with the gear) So Definetly will go back to the stock diffs which have gears made of delrin not that poor qauality nylon crap

Old 01-21-2012, 07:03 PM
The_Shark

it adds up fast, my worst mistake was buying a "mint" duratrax evader, to find it had bad servos, bad lines, bad tires, bad carb, bad diff, bad clutch and bad spur.

i asked key questions and the son of a turd LIED to me, flippin ebay, and i lost out on ANY payment back.

anywho, after fixing the blessed thing up i ran into major issues with the diff and engine, bought for $130, spent 90 into it and sold it for $60. worst expiriance ever. i wanted to fix it to keep it because its not a bad truck but that diff was the biggest piece of crap immaginable!

live and learn i guess.