Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.
View Poll Results: A poll
New section
39.22%
Make a sticky
11.76%
I do not see a problem
25.49%
indifferent
23.53%
Voters: 51. You may not vote on this poll

"What should I buy" section

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2012, 10:55 AM
FahrtAutoRC

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default "What should I buy" section

Just thought I would put this idea out there as a poll. Every day we see a pretty steady influx of members new and old asking the same age-old question of "Which RC should I buy". I do not really agree with this question, as it seems to basically be asking "Hey strangers, what do YOU think I should spend hundreds of dollars on?", BUT, some find it useful. This being said, how about we take a vote in if there should be a special section, or even a sticky in the General section just for this.
Old 04-17-2012, 11:06 AM
kahnen

Default RE:

I voted for a sticky. One is already there, course updated/addons might be helpful.

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_9337359/tm.htm
Old 04-17-2012, 11:07 AM
cumminspower5.9
My Feedback: (4)

Default RE:

I didn't vote, but I get kind of annoyed with those kind of questions. I don't mind helping people out with the hobby, but with a question so plain as "What should my first rc be?", there could be 1000's of different suggestions. I believe if someone wants to ask this question, they should do a little research first. For example; brushed or brushless? drivetrain? scale? speed or torque? cheap or expensive? quality level? I believe the person asking the question should know most of those before posting, because it will narrow down the suggestions a great deal. creating a sticky would take lots of time, unless just the jist of things were listed, like the major differences in brushed and brushless, scale, drivetrain, etc. no need to name off every model of the cars, just options available. the OP could read that, and then come back maybe posting "model vs. model, pros and cons"? and by that point, the people that would chime in would most likely be the people that have had that model rc and could help the OP decide. i hope this wasn't all that confusing, but its like this... lets say i have $30 to spend on a car. i go to the car dealer and tell the salesman "i've got $30k, pick a car for me. dont worry about my interests or preferences, just pick one."
Old 04-17-2012, 12:22 PM
Slimmeh

Default RE:

As A very new guy to this I agree. I know what kinda on road Car I like I have just asked an opinion and sugestions if it's a good starting point or not. and if it is upgradable
Old 04-17-2012, 12:27 PM
SyCo_VeNoM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: RE:

ORIGINAL: Slimmeh

As A very new guy to this I agree. I know what kinda on road Car I like I have just asked an opinion and sugestions if it's a good starting point or not. and if it is upgradable
thats fine

its the I want a car threads that start arguments than the person says they want it for $60 are the ones that get me
Or the ones that ask what car they should get than a week or 2 later ask the same exact question again...
Old 04-17-2012, 12:33 PM
Slimmeh

Ha that person should understand it's not a cheap hobby by any means. They should know there liike at a few hundred bucks right out of the gate
Old 04-17-2012, 01:46 PM
JohnP2

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think it is a good idea to have a separate section on here - as there is obviously a demand.

I also see nothing wrong with the question itself. I reached out for opinions on my Hyper 7, and just today asked for adviceconcerning my next car (and yes - Slimeh's response is clearly directed atmy post).

I did, however,list specifically what I was looking for after an exhaustive research. I respect others opinions, especially owners of that car and/or those who have been in "the hobby" for quite some time.I also like to read about what others are considering. Much more than complaining about other people's posts.

Iappreciate the way you approached thisFahrt: providingalternatives instead ofwhining about it - which never solves anything as we all know. Anytime you have an Internet forum such as this,folks will always becoming "annoyed" at reading the same "basic" questions from various members, especially those new to the subject. However, I've learned that what equally annoys most of themembers are the "I hate when people ask...." posts.

Old 04-17-2012, 01:53 PM
SLAYERDUDE

EVERYONE should buy a Savage XL, problem solved.

Old 04-17-2012, 02:45 PM
Foxy

Default RE:

If it existed, people would still post in GD or whatever other forum...Example, I'm lookingn for a drifter. I'm not going to post in the begineers section where there may not be much of a dedicated drifting community, I'm gonna go straight to the drifitng forum and ask drifters. Working as intended.

Not needed, imo. There are actually a bunch of forums that need closing down and also much better candidates for new sections, such as short course.
Old 04-17-2012, 03:55 PM
yakfish
My Feedback: (27)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: Foxy

If it existed, people would still post in GD or whatever other forum...Example, I'm lookingn for a drifter. I'm not going to post in the begineers section where there may not be much of a dedicated drifting community, I'm gonna go straight to the drifitng forum and ask drifters. Working as intended.

Not needed, imo. There are actually a bunch of forums that need closing down and also much better candidates for new sections, such as short course.
+1 Foxy

This is the reason behind having these forums in the first place. When I first started out in RC I know I had alot of "dumb" questions and so did everybody else who started out. Asking questions is how people learn. I say leave the forums alone and let people ask the questions they have. If you get annoyed with a newbie or even a veteran who asks a beginers question then don't respond and move on. Just my $.02
Old 04-17-2012, 04:05 PM
JohnP2

This is a good point, and simply comes along with being such a popular forum. ;-) I still encourage members to reach out to other members with questions concerning any vehicles they are considering and ask for opinions without fear of riducule (I know I won't).

This forum is chock full of great guys ready to help in anyway they can, and simply go to the next topic if they cannot. I've yet to see anyone get in a pissing match over "which car to buy"....and that's a good thing - it shows the class most everyone on here has. ;-)
Old 04-17-2012, 04:48 PM
The Mad Modder

Default RE:

ORIGINAL: FahrtAutoRC

Just thought I would put this idea out there as a poll. Every day we see a pretty steady influx of members new and old asking the same age-old question of ''Which RC should I buy''. I do not really agree with this question, as it seems to basically be asking ''Hey strangers, what do YOU think I should spend hundreds of dollars on?'', BUT, some find it useful. This being said, how about we take a vote in if there should be a special section, or even a sticky in the General section just for this.
I do agree that it gets irritating wading through the "what should I buy?" threads.

I think a section would be better. A sticky would take a lot of work and most newbies wouldn't read it anyway.
Old 04-17-2012, 05:55 PM
JohnP2

ORIGINAL: yakfish
When I first started out in RC I know I had alot of "dumb" questions and so did everybody else who started out. Asking questions is how people learn.
Another great point. I still like the idea of perhaps even a sticky post or something to that affect - but even then most new folks who come here seem to own an RC car. Perhaps some kind of comparison chart would be cool. Nothing too detailed, just something that buckets the top 50 RTR in tovarious classes. I imagine if someone were to put this together it would pay huge dividends and even draw folks to the site (serving as meta-data).

To that end....I was VERY close to buying a RedCat Tornado (after my Exceed Forza), and "thehuntingterminator" replied to this post letting me know those two are the same OEM (I had no idea back then). Heprobably never gave it a second thought, but that made all thedifference in the worldto me, and I'm still incredibly thankful. If I ever met him I would buy himabeer for that (along witheveryone else who has helped)

I would have probably bought the RedCatand been dissapointed (not to bag on RedCat - just wanted something different from my Forza). Many other folks also chimed in and helped me make (what I feel is) the perfect choice, and that one little nugget that 99% of of the members already knew went a long was in getting me started!

Thanks

Old 04-17-2012, 06:17 PM
SyCo_VeNoM

ORIGINAL: The Mad Modder

Just thought I would put this idea out there as a poll. Every day we see a pretty steady influx of members new and old asking the same age-old question of ''Which RC should I buy''. I do not really agree with this question, as it seems to basically be asking ''Hey strangers, what do YOU think I should spend hundreds of dollars on?'', BUT, some find it useful. This being said, how about we take a vote in if there should be a special section, or even a sticky in the General section just for this.
I do agree that it gets irritating wading through the ''what should I buy?'' threads.

I think a section would be better. A sticky would take a lot of work and most newbies wouldn't read it anyway.
basically I remember there was a sticky for basic things to answer in the post and I think I saw it used 10 times outta 200 what should I buy threads
Old 04-17-2012, 11:10 PM
SLAYERDUDE

Just get a Savage and stop kissing Foxy's ..Tuckus already!

Old 04-18-2012, 01:58 AM
Haddi Taha

As someone who is still looking for a new rc car, it can be sometimes be very frustrating, like looking for an 1/10 electric touring car basher that has a tough drivetrain to handle 90km/h. All I can find is peoples opinions on racing the car but not bashing. I have been trying to find out stuff like how long do this cars belts last and this cars diffs but its impossible in the middle of people discussing how to shave nano seconds off their laptimes. At the same time you want to ask in a place where there are people who own the car will be there.
Old 04-18-2012, 04:57 AM
Foxy

ORIGINAL: Haddi Taha

As someone who is still looking for a new rc car, it can be sometimes be very frustrating, like looking for an 1/10 electric touring car basher that has a tough drivetrain to handle 90km/h. All I can find is peoples opinions on racing the car but not bashing. I have been trying to find out stuff like how long do this cars belts last and this cars diffs but its impossible in the middle of people discussing how to shave nano seconds off their laptimes. At the same time you want to ask in a place where there are people who own the car will be there.
u mean 90mph? Cos even a budget, entry level car can handle 90kmh... If you want a high speed car, go belt, the drivetrain rotates in the direction of travel causing them to be much more stable under acceleration, plus belts can handle much more motor torque than gears. As for how long the belts last, that's directly proportional to the level of effort expended on the upkeep of the running surface.

U shoulda just PMed me. lol.
Old 04-18-2012, 06:50 AM
TheKennyKiller
Banned

ORIGINAL: Haddi Taha

u mean 90mph? Cos even a budget, entry level car can handle 90kmh... If you want a high speed car, go belt, the drivetrain rotates in the direction of travel causing them to be much more stable under acceleration, plus belts can handle much more motor torque than gears. As for how long the belts last, that's directly proportional to the level of effort expended on the upkeep of the running surface.

U shoulda just PMed me. lol.
I guess he means 90kmh seeing as he is from Australia... 90kmh is about 56mph so it's not blisteringly fast but I wouldn't consider it slow.
Old 04-18-2012, 07:25 AM
LaTuFu
My Feedback: (1)

From my perspective, no new section needed. Most new people are going to ask in the forum that makes the most sense to them. Monster Truck if they are looking for MT, etc.

This forum already has a staggering number of sub-forums. It gets to a level of intimidating for a brand new person. Adding one more layer certainly won't help the "ease of use" factor in any way.

Even if there is a section, new people will still ask in the other sections, from my experience.

The only people that will "benefit" are the grizzled old farts who get annoyed at the questions. If I had a nickel for every annoyed "old timer" on forumsI frequent, my fleet of RCs would be significantly bigger.

So, do we cater to the "lazy" noob who doesn't know to look for the extra special "what to buy" section? Or to the "lazy"old timer that can't be bothered to skip the thread that annoys them?
Old 04-18-2012, 07:43 AM
FahrtAutoRC

ORIGINAL: LaTuFu

This forum already has a staggering number of sub-forums. It gets to a level of intimidating for a brand new person. Adding one more layer certainly won't help the "ease of use" factor in any way.

So, do we cater to the "lazy" noob who doesn't know to look for the extra special "what to buy" section? Or to the "lazy"old timer that can't be bothered to skip the thread that annoys them?

It is only confusing if English is not your first language and you do not know what category your post should go in. They are all clearly labeled and pretty easy to find things.

And old timer? Who? And no "laziness" about it, I can see the whole section on my screen so there is no extra effort utilized in ignoring them, it is just simply annoying. It gets even worse when you have three different people posting "What should I buy" and they are all looking for the same thing! The laziness would be on the part of the people who cannot take a few minutes to read through the subjects already there and see if someone already asked it. All I asked is if there would be a way to cut down on this, I am pretty sure if your sole intention is to post "What should I buy?", then a section, aptly titled "What should I buy", right above or below the General section would be pretty hard to miss. And as Foxy stated, there are a handful of sections that probably shouldn't even be there, given how rare it is that they are used. Removing the old and adding new just makes sense.

Old 04-18-2012, 08:27 AM
rgburrill

Received 76 Likes on 67 Posts
Default RE:

I always thought that RCUniverse was a place to share ideas and meet new people.  Why, then, would you want to shove teh most basic "greeting" question of "What should I buy" in a box with a label on it?  Help me, help my friends, but don't help anyone else, HUH?

Old 04-18-2012, 08:34 AM
rgburrill

Received 76 Likes on 67 Posts

ORIGINAL: LaTuFu

It is only confusing if English is not your first language and you do not know what category your post should go in. They are all clearly labeled and pretty easy to find things.

And old timer? Who? And no "laziness" about it, I can see the whole section on my screen so there is no extra effort utilized in ignoring them, it is just simply annoying. It gets even worse when you have three different people posting "What should I buy" and they are all looking for the same thing! The laziness would be on the part of the people who cannot take a few minutes to read through the subjects already there and see if someone already asked it. All I asked is if there would be a way to cut down on this, I am pretty sure if your sole intention is to post "What should I buy?", then a section, aptly titled "What should I buy", right above or below the General section would be pretty hard to miss. And as Foxy stated, there are a handful of sections that probably shouldn't even be there, given how rare it is that they are used. Removing the old and adding new just makes sense.

By your logic there should a folder for "my truck is better than yours" or "where can I go bash" Some of us are tired of hearing that too.

Honestly, I'm sure I am not the only one who very rarely visits the forum headers pages - I see what's in the popular posts on the home page and read what sounds interesting. Or amusing, like this one.
Old 04-18-2012, 09:36 AM
Eman77

ORIGINAL: rgburrill

I always thought that RCUniverse was a place to share ideas and meet new people. Why, then, would you want to shove teh most basic ''greeting'' question of ''What should I buy'' in a box with a label on it? Help me, help my friends, but don't help anyone else, HUH?

I think you are horribly misinterpreting the point. FahrtAutoRC is trying to help the new people (give them a clearly labelled section for their needs), and alleviate the annoyances to the folks who see these threads all the time.

An added bonus would be that the new guy, who posts "what should I buy?" in his own section, would not see his question buried under 25 threads in the offroad section, for example, in a matter of days. In my mind, this means his question is more likely to be answered because:

1) it does not get buried quickly
2) it's in a section where folks will post to help (i.e., if I go there to post, it's to help someone, fully expecting threads like this in that area), rather than in a section where folks will get annoyed and make rude comments to the newcomer

Seems like a win-win to me.

Granted, RCU has a ton of subforums that need to be cleaned up, but I'd think that this section would be more useful than having a 1/8 buggy AND a 1/8 truggy section, for example. Combine those, create the "What to buy" one, and you break even.

Old 04-18-2012, 12:45 PM
LaTuFu
My Feedback: (1)

You say that with the hindsight and clarity of someone who knows the difference between a truggy, muggy, MT, TC, or drifter.

A brand new person trying to learn about the hobby doesn't have this gift of knowledge yet. That's why they are asking questions.

And yes, you sound like a cranky old timer when you're "annoyed" by having to ignore a thread you are not obligated to read.

Old 04-18-2012, 02:49 PM
Killionaire

I've looked at a lot of action videos and reviews on youtube. I'm liking a lot of HPI's products. I like their performance, appearance, features, durability. I'll probably buy an HPI for my first hobby grade RC car.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.