Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Car General Discussions
Reload this Page >

HPI have got to be kidding...a rear wheel drive touring car!?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

HPI have got to be kidding...a rear wheel drive touring car!?

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2013, 08:00 AM
Jeckler
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: HPI have got to be kidding...a rear wheel drive touring car!?

One it's a pan car. Now, a different style of pan car with no visible suspension, but a pan car nonetheless.

Two, you guys are showing pics of two different cars. The right side battery with rubber is the TC10, which aside from the motor location, isn't that much different than a 4wd belt tourer, layout wise. It does look like it's going to be heavily weight biased to the right though, unless they put lead in the ESC and receiver. The foam tires and central battery is the TC12.
Old 02-06-2013, 08:01 AM
nitrosportsandrunner

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

ORIGINAL: SyCo_VeNoM

ORIGINAL: Argess

Just to play Devil's Advocate, it may be more realistic for those who are trying to duplicate a 1:1 car in minature. Plus there may be some people who would like the challenge of RWD vs AWD based on how a RWD car reflects a very common layout of traditional 1:1 cars.

I've seen a similar kind of thinking with regards to slotcars. Many of the purists will not use magnet equipped cars. Sure, the performance is better with the magnets, and the challenge is up for debate (although I say the magnet cars hold the track very well making it easier for the less skilled drivers).

So while there may be a niche market for this HPI car, I would suspect it is small based on the overwhelming thirst for performance I see in RCU posts.
but it has no suspension(wel none able to be seen from any pics of diff angles, and the plate looks one piece) so it doesn't duplicate a 1:1 car very well as I can't think of one that hasn't had shocks on it (well ok maybe a model T and even that I'm not sure about). Without any suspention to tune I doubt it will work very well at all even their F1 racer had a shock setup like a traditional pan car
traditional pan cars do not have any shocks up front. Only a "flexing" arm setup.
but it looks like your are right in that the rear cannot flex at all. On most pan cars, the whole rear axl/motor mount can flex in relation to the main chassis and often has a single shock up top between the axle and main chassis. I see no flex point here.
I dont see this car handling well except for on a carpet track or the worlds cleanest parking lot.
Old 02-06-2013, 08:08 AM
SyCo_VeNoM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: Jeckler

One it's a pan car. Now, a different style of pan car with no visible suspension, but a pan car nonetheless.

Two, you guys are showing pics of two different cars. The right side battery with rubber is the TC10, which aside from the motor location, isn't that much different than a 4wd belt tourer, layout wise. It does look like it's going to be heavily weight biased to the right though, unless they put lead in the ESC and receiver. The foam tires and central battery is the TC12.
ahh I was looking at the suspension (or lack of one)
seems the TC2 was just a chopped version of the 10 as the layout looks pretty much identical.

nitrosportsandrunner I know my post on shocks was in reference to Argess playing devils advocate to it trying to be more like a 1:1 car I know pan cars only have one shock which is why when I mentioned the F1 racers shock setup I didn't use plural for shock

If this is the best HPI could come up with I don't forsee them lasting much longer as a company compared to what vaterra has in its line up (there's a few of them that I saw pics of that are piquing my interest)
Old 02-06-2013, 08:16 AM
nitrosportsandrunner

yeh, that Vaterra lineup is pretty sweet.
And if the quality is at least as good as the ECX line then they should be worth the money.
The twin hammers (still think its a dumb name) is really cool looking and should be fun to drive.

I still wanna see a true, FR onroad car!
Old 02-06-2013, 08:33 AM
t-max97
My Feedback: (9)

Looks cheapy and nearly useless, I wont be getting one.
Old 02-06-2013, 08:42 AM
Argess

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

It may have front suspension as it looks like some type of rearward facing a-arm is installed forward of each front wheel. Plus, those circular parts just inboard of the wheels may be spring retainers.

As mentioned above, the whole rear section may be hinged just forward of the motor, but I can't tell from the picture.

Perhaps everyone expects too much and this is merely a $69 special aimed at very young members of the junior public.

By the way, I'm not terribly famialiar with electric vehicles, but isn't that a brushed motor? I see only two wires going to it. If so, that would also make it a fairly cheap "toy", would it not?
Old 02-06-2013, 09:02 AM
Jeckler
My Feedback: (2)

I just noticed the links on the TC10. They look similar to the new Tamiya RM-01, but without the center shock.
And I found a slightly better pic of the TC12, same layout in the back.
Old 02-06-2013, 09:09 AM
Argess

Or maybe this explains it all:

Old 02-06-2013, 09:10 AM
SyCo_VeNoM

It may have front suspension as it looks like some type of rearward facing a-arm is installed forward of each front wheel. Plus, those circular parts just inboard of the wheels may be spring retainers.

As mentioned above, the whole rear section may be hinged just forward of the motor, but I can't tell from the picture.

Perhaps everyone expects too much and this is merely a $69 special aimed at very young members of the junior public.

By the way, I'm not terribly famialiar with electric vehicles, but isn't that a brushed motor? I see only two wires going to it. If so, that would also make it a fairly cheap ''toy'', would it not?
HPI has a model aimed at the extreme novices already its called the Brama 10b (seriously HPI told me this in an E-mail) and it costs $175 still, and has proven to be a 4wd complete turd.

as for the rear being hinged that is all well and dandy as it should be but there is no shock or spring so a hinge there would do absolutely nothing.

A RWD RC can handle pretty decently if done right, this judging from the pics, and based on HPI's recent track record probably isn't.
Old 02-06-2013, 09:33 AM
Foxy

I just don't get what this adds to HPI's lineup and how they think in any way that such a basic car is good for their image in the hobby. Just a left field move if you ask me, they need to make something really good and quickly, hell, let Hobao make all the new cars for 2013, please?
Old 02-06-2013, 09:53 AM
ejc34710

Argess, LMFAO....
Old 02-06-2013, 09:54 AM
Eman77

You're kidding right? Traxxas Beaver?
Old 02-06-2013, 09:59 AM
Argess

as for the rear being hinged that is all well and dandy as it should be but there is no shock or spring so a hinge there would do absolutely nothing.
Can't remember now if it was the Mini-Z or Xmods, or if it were stock, or an option, but in the case I'm thinking of, the hinge was the spring. Not really a hinge, but a flexible piece of plastic. Seems to me it was like sheet teflon.

At any rate, as someone mentioned earlier in the thread, the front doesn't look very sophisticated, or at least the steering mechanicsm doesn't. Wether HPI is looking at another product for the youngsters or not, I can't believe this will be an expensive vehicle. If it really is cheap, (and by that I mean way less than the $175 vehicle you mentioned) it could merely be a strategy of moving more quantity at a smaller profit per vehicle.

Seems to me manufacturing an inexpensive "kids" car might not be a bad idea in these economic times, but I'd say they better start stocking shelves in department stores if they want that to work.
Old 02-06-2013, 10:02 AM
t-max97

AHAHAHA wow lol
Old 02-06-2013, 10:04 AM
t-max97

Can't remember now if it was the Mini-Z or Xmods, or if it were stock, or an option, but in the case I'm thinking of, the hinge was the spring. Not really a hinge, but a flexible piece of plastic. Seems to me it was like sheet teflon.

At any rate, as someone mentioned earlier in the thread, the front doesn't look very sophisticated, or at least the steering mechanicsm doesn't. Wether HPI is looking at another product for the youngsters or not, I can't believe this will be an expensive vehicle. If it really is cheap, (and by that I mean way less than the $175 vehicle you mentioned) it could merely be a strategy of moving more quantity at a smaller profit per vehicle.

Seems to me manufacturing an inexpensive ''kids'' car might not be a bad idea in these economic times, but I'd say they better start stocking shelves in department stores if they want that to work.
Wasn;t xmods I have one and it has independent suspension all around.
Old 02-06-2013, 10:38 AM
SyCo_VeNoM

Seems to me manufacturing an inexpensive ''kids'' car might not be a bad idea in these economic times, but I'd say they better start stocking shelves in department stores if they want that to work.
I can guarantee just the HPI sticker costs $60 at least look at the mini recon you can buy a pro-pulse for $50 vs the recon for $120, and they are the same exact RC for the most part (the pro-pulse has the better designed chassis that HPI somehow managed to screw up when they reproduced it). HPI's lipo charger is a re-labled $45 thunder charger they market for close to $100. Flux reload is a $55 HW ESC they charge $83 for... I can go on so there is almost no way in hell this is going to be under $100 seeing the ESC, and motor alone HPI sells for almost $70 as it looks like the firebolt motor, and that needs the SC15 ESC.
Old 02-06-2013, 10:46 AM
nitrosportsandrunner

By the way, I'm not terribly famialiar with electric vehicles, but isn't that a brushed motor? I see only two wires going to it. If so, that would also make it a fairly cheap ''toy'', would it not?
where do you see the price? Please link.

If that is the price, then maybe not to bad. Still, got get newbs into the hobby with such a car isnt good. Yes, the electronics are fine, but getting newbs into the hobby with a car that will handle like crap isnt the best start.
Its not that a pan car cant be fun to drive, but it take far greater skill than a 4wd car. Especially if its on a unprepared paved surface.
Old 02-06-2013, 10:58 AM
Argess

Hey guys.... that $69 was hypothetical to make a point. All I'm saying is if it looks cheap (and it does) then maybe it will sell cheap. This means parents are more willing/able to buy it for their kids. All this because it's possible someone at HPI wanted to pursue high volume sales with a small profit per unit vs selling lower volume with a large mark-up in an effort to increase profit in these economic times. I was only speculating about the car, as are most of the contributors to this thread.

Sorry to confuse things by throwing out a "made-up" price. I did a Google Search, but didn't find anything. I wanted to see what the price is expected to be, but no luck.
Old 02-06-2013, 11:13 AM
nitrosportsandrunner

Hey guys.... that $69 was hypothetical to make a point. All I'm saying is if it looks cheap (and it does) then maybe it will sell cheap. This means parents are more willing/able to buy it for their kids. All this because it's possible someone at HPI wanted to pursue high volume sales with a small profit per unit vs selling lower volume with a large mark-up in an effort to increase profit in these economic times. I was only speculating about the car, as are most of the contributors to this thread.

Sorry to confuse things by throwing out a ''made-up'' price. I did a Google Search, but didn't find anything. I wanted to see what the price is expected to be, but no luck.
LOL, ok.
I was gonna say, if it was $69 Id buy a couple just to part them out. $40 a body, $40 ESC/motor, $20 battery, $25 radio/rx, $30 roller. $80 profit
Id assume its gonna be between $100-$150.
Old 02-06-2013, 11:43 AM
SyCo_VeNoM

personally I'm guessing $150-$220 cause thats how HPI seems to work for the most part

ORIGINAL: nitrosportsandrunner

Sorry to confuse things by throwing out a ''made-up'' price. I did a Google Search, but didn't find anything. I wanted to see what the price is expected to be, but no luck.
LOL, ok.
I was gonna say, if it was $69 Id buy a couple just to part them out. $40 a body, $40 ESC/motor, $20 battery, $25 radio/rx, $30 roller. $80 profit
Id assume its gonna be between $100-$150.
$30 roller? might as well sell the tires for $30 and throw the chassis out lol
Old 02-06-2013, 01:08 PM
mattster1971

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Is that real? Did. Traxxas buy HPi? Or am I just gulable lol. It looks like something I got my kid years ago from toys r us
Old 02-06-2013, 01:09 PM
i8tweety
My Feedback: (11)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

They might be good for a cost controlled spec pan-touring class (like the tamiya mini classes everywhere). Trinity used to offer cheap offerings for the trinity street spec class. If the intent is a grass roots budget racing where fun and skill are all that matters, then I like it. For a play toy, basher, or non-spec class racer, forget it.
Old 02-06-2013, 01:11 PM
mattster1971

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: Foxy

I just don't get what this adds to HPI's lineup and how they think in any way that such a basic car is good for their image in the hobby. Just a left field move if you ask me, they need to make something really good and quickly, hell, let Hobao make all the new cars for 2013, please?
Omg agreed, HoBao would turn out some good stuff. As it is HPI is going to ruin HoBao here in the US
Old 02-06-2013, 01:36 PM
On2_n_On4

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

tell me thats photoshop or I'm going to kill myself [&o]
Old 02-06-2013, 02:22 PM
phmaximus

Hummm, ive got mixed thoughts, mostly bad ones lol

Its got a very strange front suspension setup reminds me of the VW's u see racing in the BAJA 1000

But it hard to tell but it could possibly have rear suspension like on the older Kyosho mini Z
or it its anything like the E10, the chassis has more flex than the rock hard springs and shocks lol

Looks like it will be neer impossible to drive, those little wheels are going to have problems with traction.....

All i think....Highspeed runs anyone?

hey who rembers the Traxxas Street Sport?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.