Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

Servo install question.....

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2013, 09:13 PM
pimpala50

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Servo install question.....

Here it is...another noob question, I'm building my first kit, always ran RTR, need info on hookin up servo, is there a particular position to place the arm on the servo, and need help setting and installing servo saver spring, bare with me guys pls I kno it's real easy for most of u guys if not all, but so far there's been plenty help from the forum thanks guys....
Old 03-26-2013, 10:43 PM
rcpowerhorse

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Servo install question.....

what I do is I install the servo first, not worrying about the arm
then I connect the servo to the receiver and power on the transmitter and receiver, this zeros the servo.
then I ensure the thing to be controlled is where I want it (or as close as is possible) at neutral e.g. for steering the wheels would be straight
then I install the arm on the servo maybe making an adjustment to it to fit on the servo
all while the receiver and transmitter are on
then if further adjustment is needed I use the trim on the radio
Old 03-26-2013, 11:20 PM
sheograth

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

^^ what he said basically.

The first thing to do is center the servo with your radio system, which you can do before the model is complete. With the radio trim centered, see where the servo falls and make sure it articulates equally and freely in both directions. After that's done you install the arm/saver in the appropriate position, which should be shown in your models assembly manual. If it's not, you can figure it out on your own through experimentation, basically making sure that the steering system (or throttle if that's case) has a full range of motion and stays centered.

The idea is to use the radio trim only for very fine tuning, you shouldn't have to use it to make up for mechanical misalignment, because that will limit your range of motion and can lead to damaged servos if the end points aren't accurate.

Often when I'm installing a steering servo I have the radio set up and on already, so I can gauge where things are.
Old 03-27-2013, 03:46 AM
redfisher1974

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Good advice ^