Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

Help with steering issues

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2014, 07:47 AM
450rdawg

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help with steering issues

Good morning folks. I'm new to the forum here and appreciate all this great info. This being said, I have a challenge that I need a little help with. I have a Revenge Type e and I'm pretty sure my issues are because of my steering servo. I just bought this buggy yesterday. It was used but a steal, so I couldn't pass it up. It has the Spektrum S6040 servo in it. I assume this is the stock unit because it matches the radio. When I power the car on, the servo makes a constant buzzing noise. I've tried adjusting the trim to correct this and while it does help, it doesn't make it completely stop. The car will move in both forward and reverse just fine, until I try to turn it. The wheels will turn a few times and then will stop moving at all. Most of the time they will go back to the straight position but sometimes will stay turned, even when they should be straight. At this point, the car will not move at all. The ESC will then occasionally blink red two times but doesn't respond to the throttle. I unplugged the servo from the receiver and the car will then move in forward and reverse with no problems at all. I've been out of this hobby for 15+ years now but am wanting to get back into it. I have no idea what the problem is and could use some advice. Thanks for all your help.
Josh
Old 09-01-2014, 08:40 AM
EXT2Rob
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yeah, sounds like the servo has gone on the blink. (Uh, no pun intended). The electronics in the servo are "browning-out" the ESC. Replace the servo and you should be good to go. The buggy came stock with a Dynamite steering servo. Usually, stock RTR servos are the first things to go, and is why it had a Spektrum servo in it when you got it. The Revenge is a big buggy, so you'll probably have to get a really decent servo with metal gears and at least 150oz/in of torque. Hitec is always a good bet. welcome to the boards, there are a lot of helpful folks here always willing to help best they can. Ask away!
Old 09-01-2014, 09:35 AM
450rdawg

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you so much. I actually picked up a Hitec servo yesterday and it cometely corrected the issue. That is until the servo arm stripped out on me this morning. No worries tho, I've got several of those. Thanks again for your reply and I'm super happy to be a part of this forum.
Old 09-01-2014, 11:46 AM
EXT2Rob
My Feedback: (1)

AH! The servo arm issue....I've run into that too. You have to look REALLY CAREFULLY, but somewhere on the servo arm (horn) is a letter: H for Hitec, F for Futaba, S for Spektrum. For some bloody reason, the servo makers haven't settled on ONE size! So you have to know what you have. Sometimes it'll SEEM to fit, but it'll strip out. You HAVE to have the right arm for the right spline for the right servo. Best to use one of the arms that come with the servo.
Old 09-02-2014, 06:24 AM
BKoz559
My Feedback: (3)

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Spektrum servos, I believe, are 25T splines. Hitec are commonly 24T so that could have been your issue.

Additionally, to help prevent "brown outs" in the future I suggest a glitch buster capacitor for the receiver. An external BEC is best but, unless you have an extremely high powered servo the capacitor takes care of most issues.
Old 09-02-2014, 06:52 AM
Maj_Overdrive
My Feedback: (11)

Like EXT2Rob said make sure you use a servo horn with the correct number of splines for your servo. You may find that the servo horns included with the servo will strip out though. 1/8 buggies usually use a heavy duty plastic or aluminum servo horn, especially for steering.

Edit: 1/8 buggies almost always have an adjustable servo saver located on the bellcrank. The servo saver may be set too tight or can just be loosened a bit so it won't strip out servo horns.

Last edited by Maj_Overdrive; 09-02-2014 at 06:55 AM.