Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Car General Discussions
Reload this Page >

Also new to RC. Have a question about a certain vehicle.

Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

Also new to RC. Have a question about a certain vehicle.

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2016, 08:32 AM
raviviano

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Also new to RC. Have a question about a certain vehicle.

Hi all. I am looking to get an RC car like many of the posts you guys are probably getting tired of. I stopped in a LHS and really thought that the cars were interesting. I was especially interested in the traxxas rally. After browsing the web for a week or so, I am seriously looking into purchasing the TEAM ASSOCIATED PRO RALLY RTR. What do you guys think? Is this a good starter RC for bashing around. I may want to use it in the snow, but its only water resistant. Can I still do this or are there precautions I have to take. Also, is team associated a brand that has good aftermarket and replacement parts for? Thanks.
Old 01-14-2016, 06:00 PM
sheograth

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

https://www.teamassociated.com/cars_...Rally_4WD/RTR/

I'm assuming that's the one you're referring to. If so, It's a great car. I drove one the other day and was impressed (I drove it in stock form, no upgrades)

It is a bit fast for a beginner, and isn't too off road capable (it's not a monster truck or short course truck) but if you intend to drive it on paved surfaces or hard dirt it will be fine.
Old 01-14-2016, 10:36 PM
raviviano

That is the car I am referring to. Thanks for the reply, and I'm glad to hear that it is a solid product. As for the capability in the snow (its water resistant, not waterproof) any ideas on that? Also, how is team associated parts availability?
Old 01-16-2016, 03:57 PM
sheograth

AE parts, are widely available. Though it sounds like you might want a truck...
Old 01-16-2016, 10:38 PM
raviviano

I love the look of a rally car, but why do you say I should look into a truck?
Old 01-17-2016, 09:14 AM
RustyUs

Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts

Plenty of hop-ups and the ProRally shares many, many parts with the ProLite 4x4/ProSC 4x4 should you ever want to convert the ProRally into a short course truck. I've come to expect greatness from Team Associated, hence most of my stable is made up of Team Blue's rides (models). The budget friendly Qualifier Series is not my favorite releases from AE, but I still consider them in my quests for my next addition to the addiction . That being said, I've been looking at on-road platforms lately and I've come to a conclusion that a rally car would be more my speed. I know, for me, driving a RC just on-road would get boring. Having the option to run in the dirt and tackle the lighter side of what off-roading has to offer, is more appealing to me.

So far, I've been liking the looks of the ProRally and the HPI's WR8 ...it's a toss up for me.

Good luck.

Last edited by RustyUs; 01-17-2016 at 03:27 PM. Reason: wording
Old 01-17-2016, 06:31 PM
raviviano

Thank you. I was also looking at the hpi, but the ae is much cheaper and larger, so I feel it would be better for an all around basher
Old 01-25-2016, 08:44 AM
EXT2Rob
My Feedback: (1)

I've been eyeing that one for a while too. The AE has good bones, and plenty of aftermarket parts. You might also want to look at the Losi Ten Rally. You get Spektrum's AVC with that. I've always been a fan of WRC, and I really miss the MAVTV channel that broadcast most of the WRC races.
Old 01-25-2016, 07:03 PM
cumquat

Originally Posted by EXT2Rob
I've been eyeing that one for a while too. The AE has good bones, and plenty of aftermarket parts. You might also want to look at the Losi Ten Rally. You get Spektrum's AVC with that. I've always been a fan of WRC, and I really miss the MAVTV channel that broadcast most of the WRC races.
your tv provider must hate you, i still have MAVTV, and they still broadcast a lot of rally. more best in the desert though.

i personally hate the very idea of the AVC system. it takes all the skill out of driving an rc. a decade ago, 2wd was widely recommended as a first rc because it teaches throttle control. now pretty much everyone insists you need 4wd MT if there is a leaf on the parking lot you want to drive on. i swear it would amaze people if i (or anyone else who realizes the throttle trigger and steering wheel arent 3 position switches) took control of their "uncontrollable, constantly sliding rustler vxl" and made it go straight.

you cant go wrong with associated. they are one of the oldest companies in the business and have never made a true dud that i can recall (well, not one they didnt remedy. looking at you initial release rc18b/t2)