Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

HPI Savahe XL Octane V2 vs Losi DBXL

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2016, 07:29 AM
ShipwreckJV

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HPI Savahe XL Octane V2 vs Losi DBXL

Good morning Guys and Gals

I am new to this forum and this is actually my first post so please for give me should I have posted this in the wrong section.

I am going to try and keep this short. I have owned a Traxxas Revo T-Maxx and a Jato, a HPI Savage 4.9 and a 5.9 XL all nitro cars and I am super impressed with the durability of the Savage. So a couple months I thought I would step it up a little and started looking at 2-stroke gas cars and some 5th scale cars when I came across the HPI Savage octane (1st version) I was very excited but learned they were discontinued due to reliability issues so I contacted HPI and they said there is a V2 in the works but do not have a launch date yet.

So I stop in at RC hobbies to ask around and this super nice guy turned me to the Losi DBXL 5th scale that came in right around the same price range as the Savage octane so after t his long winded story, here is my question. Could some of you guys who know about these trucks\buggies share with me why you would take the one over the other and\or some pros and cons. If I am going to spend $1000 on a RC car I would need it to not be discontinued in a few month and I would like it to be sturdy and durable.

Thank you in advance and have a good day.
Old 03-11-2016, 04:28 AM
Maj_Overdrive
My Feedback: (11)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The Savage Octane was an experiment gone wrong. The premise is sound, the concept was eagerly anticipated every time HPI teased it (for years) but the execution was terrible. The engine was a pain in the ass to break in (even for experienced nitro guys), the tuning is still super sensitive even after break in, it's really loud and the twin battery pack thing was just plain stupid. But that's what happens when a stalled development program is suddenly rushed because the completion announces a release date for a similar product. That similar product was the Losi LST XXL2, with a gas powered (2 stroke premix) .31 engine similar to a nitro engine. That particular engine likes to break connecting rods and is a little finicky with the tune too even after Losi updated its recommended needle settings at least twice. I wouldn't doubt if it's discontinued as well. In my opinion the LST is a much better platform than the Savage though.

If you're looking for more large scale info there is a large scale section in this forum. It's a little sparse for DBXL info so other large scale forums (Losi forum DBXL section, largescaleforum, etc) will be able to provide more info on that model. From what I understand Losi doesn't didn't originally design the DBXL and there may be clones out there but that's the case with most large scales.
Old 03-16-2016, 08:58 PM
sheograth

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The HPI Baja platform is very well proven over the years as well. Lots of aftermarket support and upgradability.
Old 04-06-2016, 02:58 PM
The Saylors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was on the fence about the DBXL about 3 months ago and in all honesty the unboxing/review by hemistorm on you tube really put me off. I try not lean on individual reviews too hard as everyone's opinion is different but he has really never steered me wrong and what he had to say really made sense. From what i have seen just save up and go all the way with a 5ive-t or the hpi baja if you cant stretch your budget that far. Either one will be certain to put a huge smile on your face and grab spectators attention. Both have an obscene amount of aftermarket support.