Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Car General Discussions
Reload this Page >

Need some help can't get brand new Redcat cholera to start

Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

Need some help can't get brand new Redcat cholera to start

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2016, 02:48 PM
raydigidy707

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need some help can't get brand new Redcat cholera to start

Just bought a 1/5 scale chimera. It's a 30cc2 stroke. I mixed the fuel to the proper ratio primed the engine with the choke on. Tried to start it for almost an hour. Almost started once but that was it. Has any one had this problem? It almost seems like it's just getting flooded. Any suggestions?? Thanks in advance.
Old 03-13-2016, 02:52 PM
collector1231
My Feedback: (1)

Do the 1/5 models have adjustable carbs? If so, try tightening the low speed (I think) a half turn or so to limit the fuel flow.
Old 03-13-2016, 02:59 PM
raydigidy707

Yes it does I'll give it a try. Was a little hesitant about doing that because in the manual it says it comes Factory tuned for break in.
Old 03-13-2016, 03:07 PM
collector1231
My Feedback: (1)

Ah. Most likely, you can just turn it back a half turn and it will work fine again.
Old 03-13-2016, 03:16 PM
flyinwalenda
My Feedback: (5)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Again, you get what you pay for. Redcats are inexpensive for a reason. These engines are cheap chicom copies of more reliable engines. The cheap copy carbs are known to be troublesome too.
Take the plug out and see if it is wet. If not then the carb is not pumping fuel. Take a primer bulb and shoot some fuel directly down the throat of the open carb into the engine and see it it pops and starts.
If the plug is dripping wet then it's flooded. With the plug out spin the engine several times to clear it out. While you are at it hold the plug to the side of the engine while spinning it and make sure there is a good spark. If there is no spark then that is the problem.
If there is spark then put the plug in, hit the prime bulb two -three times, choke on and spin the engine until it barks then open the choke and spin it until it is running..
Old 03-18-2016, 06:59 AM
krokodyl

Yeah, they are factory tuned for break in, but mistakes happen, so you want to check that the lowspeed and highspeed are at the correct settings. I had a nitro, and the valves were set incorrectly for break in, too lean.

Flyinwalenda, generally speaking redcats are inexpensive for a reason, but the 1:5 ones aren't all that cheap. About 1000 dollars i think? Not sure about the engine quality, but I heard that the rest of it is built well.

Last edited by krokodyl; 03-18-2016 at 07:04 AM.
Old 03-18-2016, 05:12 PM
flyinwalenda
My Feedback: (5)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well the Chimera is around $650.00 and 34 pounds versus a Losi 5IVE-T at around $ 1,350.00 and 38 pounds. Very close in weight but one is half the price ? Sorry ,but they had to go cheap in too many places to cut costs. Might run for a short while but don't expect too much out of it.
Old 03-20-2016, 03:32 PM
nitrosportsandrunner

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

bla bla bla...cheap Chinese copies...bla bla.
Do these engines have the same out put and will they last as long as a losi engine? No. Will they work just fine and be as much fun as a $1000+ losi, heck yeh!

see if the manual has a factory base setting mentioned. It is possible that your carb was not set right at the factory.
It could be you over primed it the first time. But if that happened, then you just need to remove the spark plug, turn it upside down and pull over the motor a few times (if really badly flooded, take a lighter to the spark plug tip to burn off any fuel that's on it) and put it back in.

Ive had a redcat MT that I bought used. When I flooded it, it was a PITA to get started. But when I didn't over prime it, it fired right up. Either way, once it was started it ran like a champ...lots of power, never stalled and kept going until the fuel was gone.

One thing you could check, take the spark plug out and with the wire still on it, ground it on the engine and pull the starter cord. Check to see that you can see the spark. If not, the coil is bad. In that case, you need to file a warranty claim with redcat as the coil is defective. Ive owned enough cheap and high-end brand RC's to know that a defective out of the box RC can happen no matter how expensive it was. There are a few redcats I wouldn't touch with a 10 foot pole...but Id gladly own any of their 1/5 scale stuff.
Old 03-21-2016, 02:34 AM
1QwkSport2.5r

Received 76 Likes on 69 Posts

Most of these gas engines use Walbro or Walbro clone Carburetors. Most of them if not all of them use a single pump diaphragm and two needles. Just set both needles to 1.5 turns from *lightly* seated and you should at least be able to get running. I've never seen a Walbro type carb need more than 2 turns out from seated to run.

One thing to consider - many Chinese knock off engines come with horrid quality spark plugs. Change them out for an NGK equivalent and you may see better results if the carburetor settings don't net any better results.