Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

Wheely king 4x4 problems

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2016, 03:40 PM
Craftybuilder

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wheely king 4x4 problems

I have a Wheely King 4x4, I took it out and was driving it around crashed into a tree (not very hard), and reversed, I stopped, tried to move forward again but it didn't move or turn. I felt around for the off switch (under the shell) and I felt the ESC, It was ridiculously hot. I took it inside and let it cool down, then took it back out reversed twice and it stopped completely again. What is going on? I took it out in a light drizzle a day ago, does this have anything to do with it? It was also really jumpy while reversing before this started happening. Is the heat of the ESC normal? Is there a short in the ESC? HELP
Old 03-27-2016, 04:14 PM
cbaker65

Originally Posted by Craftybuilder
I have a Wheely King 4x4, I took it out and was driving it around crashed into a tree (not very hard), and reversed, I stopped, tried to move forward again but it didn't move or turn. I felt around for the off switch (under the shell) and I felt the ESC, It was ridiculously hot. I took it inside and let it cool down, then took it back out reversed twice and it stopped completely again. What is going on? I took it out in a light drizzle a day ago, does this have anything to do with it? It was also really jumpy while reversing before this started happening. Is the heat of the ESC normal? Is there a short in the ESC? HELP
You can check an see if any of the running gear is in a bind, make sure it rolls or turns freely by hand.
Also check gear mesh on the motor pinion & spur ,a bump could have caused it to jam tight.
I would check that stuff first.
Anything in a bind could cause over heating!
Old 03-28-2016, 05:11 PM
SyCo_VeNoM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

hmm if its jumpy the motor might be damaged, and could potentially damage the ESC

try taking the motor out of the WK completely, disconnecting the ESC, and hooking it straight up to a charged battery, and see if it is acting up.
Old 03-29-2016, 07:06 PM
nitrosportsandrunner

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

the ESC being really hot isn't a good sign.
depending on how new yours is, it should be waterproof (resistant) to taking it out in a little rain should not have hurt it. But the older versions (or if you bought it used with some aftermarket ESC) then water could have gotten into the esc case and caused the issue.

It is possible the ESC is the issue, and the hit with the tree was just timing. But as mentioned by others, disconnect the motor from the ESC and hook it up to a battery (stock battery, or even a single AA battery) if the motor wont turn, then it is either burnt up or there is some binding in the driveline.
Old 03-30-2016, 07:38 AM
Craftybuilder

Thanks