Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

What have you done to your RC today?

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2016, 11:00 AM
Jimbo302

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, I'm a day behind, but I repaired my RC10T4 with new spur and pinion gear and a VTS slipper upgrade. I maxed out the brushless programmer and tried some high speed runs.

Later today will be working on the B3's steering.
Old 07-04-2016, 03:26 PM
RustyUs

Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts

Got up early; while coffee brewed, I put the chargers outside to start charging packs for the day ahead.

Patched together a beaten/cracked SC body with some E6000.

After the body had time to heal, the fun began. About every hour I was taking something out to the track to get some off-roading done. On one of those walks to the track, I had my B4 in hand. Haha. Wear and tear from the years gone by lead to the little rattle noises. With all her slop, the B4 still managed to handle the ruts and bumps; while holding a good line. Rear hub carrier is screaming for mercy as it doesn't know how much toe it wants to give the B4. I bet you (reader of this) never knew the B4 came with a self variable toe-in/toe-out setting . I thought I took care of this situation weeks ago . Note to self: Start another parts order list.

Five packs went through the SC10. Super dry conditions lead me to turn down the throttle EPA to 75%. For the first time in years, I even turned down the throttle expo to help with my twitchy finger. All went well. My new nickname/username should be CounterSteer .

Last run of the day for me, well, let's just say it ended...abruptly. The SC10 hooked something fierce on the last couple of turns. As I drove the truck by me, I could see one tire locking up when I had let up on the throttle . I thought to myself, the right rear surely had a rock/pebble lodged in the driveline. Nope. Something let loose inside the tranny I do believe . It's a weird, hard to turn feeling on the right tire. No grinding, or harsh noises. I don't ever recall having this feeling on an Associated ball diff. It should be interesting. After wife goes back to bed, I'll head down to the garage to start disassembly.
Old 07-04-2016, 03:56 PM
EXT2Rob
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sounds like a pin on the outdrive broke. Do ball diffs have those?
Old 07-04-2016, 07:04 PM
nitrosportsandrunner

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

tried to find other tires to put on my 9115 truck. Turns out that 1/12 scale monster truck that is 2wd doesn't handle very well

Worked on my backyard track some.

Fixed the beadlocks on my kyosho sand master.
Old 07-05-2016, 12:28 PM
The Saylors

I bought my first track buggy last night. Associated 8.2, really looking forward to something a little more purpose built rather than my normal basher squad. Supposed to be here by the end of the week! Also finally blew up one of my stock axles on my slash 2wd. My cousin was pissed since his broke within an hour of getting his were as mine have lasted 4 months lol. Also got my new FOX body for my slash all reamed and fitted. Pretty happy weekend at the track as well!
Old 07-06-2016, 02:47 AM
RustyUs

Originally Posted by EXT2Rob
Sounds like a pin on the outdrive broke. Do ball diffs have those?
Nope. No pins. Just balls .

After I cracked the gearbox open, I was expecting some bearing failures, but found lots of "shiny" particle filled black gunk clinging to the inside of the gearbox. Diff was shot; very hard to get any "diff action".
Old 07-06-2016, 03:07 AM
RustyUs

Originally Posted by The Saylors
I bought my first track buggy last night. Associated 8.2, really looking forward to something a little more purpose built rather than my normal basher squad. Supposed to be here by the end of the week! ....
Sweet! "e" (electric) or nitro? I wish I was able to start out with 1/8 scale, but sticker shock is always a factor.

Speaking of 8.2...Castle Creations BEC arrived yesterday, cutting out of work a bit early today to get some RC garage/pit time to myself...my Happy Gilmore "happy place".
Old 07-06-2016, 08:34 AM
The Saylors

Originally Posted by RustyUs
Sweet! "e" (electric) or nitro? I wish I was able to start out with 1/8 scale, but sticker shock is always a factor.

Speaking of 8.2...Castle Creations BEC arrived yesterday, cutting out of work a bit early today to get some RC garage/pit time to myself...my Happy Gilmore "happy place".
I got the electric one. Nitro isn't allowed at the track that i like but everything else goes. Supposed to be here friday or saturday. 3 guys were duking it out last weekend with this buggy and two others, me and my cousin were watching/drooling. He looked at me and said "we need one" lol and so i got one. Pit time is therapy time lol
Old 07-06-2016, 12:01 PM
RustyUs

....Diff was shot; very hard to get any "diff action".
Okay. I was gonna contact the guy I got the SC10 off of to see if he knew what bearings he used on the diff. 'Cause I was thinking to myself, "Wow! Those bearings lasted much longer that what I normally put in my RCs". That was before I got to the bearing on the right side outdrive, it turns out that was the other contributing factor to my tranny not feeling "right " as well. Still it's weird...no crunchiness or gritty feeling to the bearing. It's just hard to turn.
Old 07-06-2016, 02:09 PM
RustyUs

Default TRB Bearings

Some TRB bearings ordered.

I've had good luck with these bearings in the past years. Same durability as Fast Eddy, or Apex RC.

I thought I had some on hand, but seeing that one little detail I overlooked, I don't. Little detail = Associated "4" series trannies that come with the newer gear/ball diff...they use 10x16x4mm bearings. So, now I robbed Peter to pay Paul with taking a spare T4.2 tranny apart to get one bearing.

To be honest, I'm not quite sure why Associated increased the bearing size on the outdrives. First guess, increased durability?
Old 07-06-2016, 06:39 PM
seedygreenute

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Ordered new front shocks for the HBX / Redcat
Organised my 1/16 E-Revo bits a little better , probably still needs some tweaking !
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	1-16 REVO 056.jpg
Views:	1293
Size:	1.25 MB
ID:	2171671  
Old 07-07-2016, 03:13 PM
RustyUs

Default Cc bec

I got 19 (collectively, not in one day) runs on the SC10 diff before I noticed any trouble, and that was not knowing how many times the truck was ran from previous owner.

Could I have got any more life out of the diff and bearing, that went bad, if I had stopped to do my "regularly scheduled maintenance"? I don't know.

I took a lot of time going over the SC10's reassembly. New diff all ready to go. Bearings are oiled/greased . Yes. Bearings inside gearbox got oil, and all others got cleaned and greased.

After many hours of contemplating where to place the CC BEC on the RC8.2e yesterday, is all done. Definitely an eye opener in servo performance.

Last edited by RustyUs; 07-11-2016 at 02:54 AM.
Old 07-07-2016, 03:30 PM
The Saylors

I have heard so many sides to the grease/oil argument when it comes to diffs as well as bearings that i really don't know what to believe. Some kits even say to leave diffs dry, GAH why would i want to do that? Every fiber of my being screams that metal on metal needs lube of some kind.
Old 07-10-2016, 01:49 PM
shannon23455

So this what I have done today. Not the ending I planned. So need to source a few parts for the front end plus a new pipe. Was thinking have to buy the pipe maybe an engine upgrade too. What do people think of the alpha club racer for a truggy?

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	293
Size:	214.0 KB
ID:	2172227   Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	276
Size:	924.6 KB
ID:	2172228  
Old 07-10-2016, 08:51 PM
PorkyMonster

i just built my own rc

ok ok, maybe that's a toy... lol
Old 07-11-2016, 03:10 AM
RustyUs

Originally Posted by PorkyMonster
i just built my own rc

ok ok, maybe that's a toy... lol
Okay. You got my interest. I clicked on your playlist, and said, "That's pretty cool!". I loved playing with Lego's big box motorized set when I was younger. Making bulldozers and whatnot, but nothing like a Trophy Truck you built. I think back now, and wonder how much Mom & Dad paid for that set I opened on Christmas Day, 'cause Legos aren't cheap nowadays.
Old 07-11-2016, 11:15 AM
The Saylors

So i took my brand spankin new Associated 8.2e to the track for its maiden run and beat the bejesus out it. Ran 4s all day, flipped it, jumped it farther than anything else i have ever owned (dirt bikes included lol). That thing was amazing! I have never been as thrilled with the performance of an rtr as i was with this awesome buggy. I think the only complaint that i could make is that stuffing two 2s lipos and all the wiring under that body without anything getting caught up was a chore to say the least, did go flying off the track when a wire caught the servo horn and kept me from turning right. After a day of running it to its fullest potential (power wise, not skill wise lol) with two novice buggy drivers (neither of us have ever had one) we ended up breaking.....nothing. I couldn't believe it. Every rtr i have had lasted a whole 15 minutes on the track before sploding all over the place and needing a 100 bucks worth of upgrades. Really couldn't be happier with my buggy. Now i also took my overbuilt slash out as well and managed to strip all of the threads out of my STRC aluminum shock tower so that made me a little less than happy. All and all i had a really fun weekend. Oh and as a side note i sold my street bike so yay money lol
Old 07-11-2016, 05:24 PM
RustyUs

Originally Posted by The Saylors
So i took my brand spankin new Associated 8.2e to the track for its maiden run and beat the bejesus out it. Ran 4s all day, flipped it, jumped it farther than anything else i have ever owned (dirt bikes included lol). That thing was amazing! I have never been as thrilled with the performance of an rtr as i was with this awesome buggy.....
Sounds like you had a super great experience with your new eBuggy. One of my "best day ever" RC adventures was with the 8.2e. If I would have known then, what I know now, I would have started sooner with a 1/8 scale buggy.

Got my buggy running again. Running 3S/2650kv... still a handful. Yank the trigger; tossing gobs of dirt/dust into the air with BigBlocks on all four corners, always puts a smile on my face. The CC BEC, hanging off the rear chassis brace, brought back to life this favorite of mine.

Name:	20160711_143503.jpg
Views:	1335
Size:	2.48 MB
ID:	2172497  
Old 07-11-2016, 09:09 PM
PorkyMonster

Okay. You got my interest. I clicked on your playlist, and said, "That's pretty cool!". I loved playing with Lego's big box motorized set when I was younger. Making bulldozers and whatnot, but nothing like a Trophy Truck you built. I think back now, and wonder how much Mom & Dad paid for that set I opened on Christmas Day, 'cause Legos aren't cheap nowadays.
I guess back then (depending on how old u r) Legos were cheaper... But nowadays, i bought parts at more reasonable price from bricklink instead of directly from TLG, haha. Anyway, I chose Lego as it offers the freedom to tear down and rebuild any time i like
Old 07-12-2016, 07:46 AM
The Saylors

I really did have a good time. I think once i get some high end tires and wheels on there it will be beyond awesome. super happy. best 500 bucks i ever spent. What are the tires you run on yours rusty? They look like narrow badlands
Old 07-12-2016, 02:09 PM
RustyUs

1/8 Big Blocks ...eBay of course. Hands down the best medium compound tires I ever had (next to the Badlands). That picture above is after 20 hard runs approximately. I couldn't glue up a better set of tires. I haven't found any part of the tires that need re-gluing yet. Outstanding glue job!

I got one word of caution though, as does the one seller...DON'T BUY IF YOU ARE RUNNING 4S PACKS! Apparently there are issues out there with them coming off the wheels. I'm geared as low as I can go; I only hit 30 mph with my gearing. With the Reedy 2000kv motor and 13T pinion gear; on 4S ...that is the same speed I get with my motor on 3S. For a set of tires under $30 shipped...dirt is waiting.
Old 07-14-2016, 07:59 AM
The Saylors

Thats not a bad price at all. Unfortunately my 3s packs dont fit in the buggy so i'm kinda stuck with 4s for the time being until i get some more packs which i was really trying to avoid.
Old 07-14-2016, 08:09 AM
EXT2Rob
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Wait. You stripped ALL the threads out of an STRC shock tower??? What?! 😱 How does that happen?
Old 07-14-2016, 08:19 AM
The Saylors

The screws that are upside down that hold the small flat plate that goes from chassis to trans and connects to the main body of the tower, both of those stripped completely. I was able to use some longer bolts and nuts to save the tower but it was still one of those "how the hell did i do that?" moments. In hind sight i think those screws backed off a little bit without me noticing and when i slapped the ground coming off a jump it was loose enough to gain the momentum needed to rip the threads. Front one is still doing good though.
Old 07-14-2016, 12:28 PM
mattster1971

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

After many hours of contemplating where to place the CC BEC on the RC8.2e yesterday, is all done. Definitely an eye opener in servo performance.
how does it make a difference? I am curious if I should have these on my Axials, but I am running the Castle Creations Mamba max pro which has a built in BEC but should I have an external also?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.