Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

What fuel do you use

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2002, 04:45 PM
FlyinRazorback
My Feedback: (8)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What fuel do you use

I have ran nearly a gallon of 20% Blue Thunder which was recommended at my LHS by one of it's employees. The same LHS told my brother that this fuel was not any good and that Eliminator was a better fuel. Either way, I am happy with the BT and haven't had any problems with. What type of fuel do you guys use?
Old 05-06-2002, 08:21 PM
Shadow102
My Feedback: (5)

i run traxxas top fuel 20% allows me to lean it out pretty far and still keep the engine quite cool
Old 05-06-2002, 08:25 PM
Elwood
My Feedback: (2)

O'Donnell
Old 05-07-2002, 12:11 AM
FlyinRazorback

Well, I went out and bought some O'Donnell today. I couldn't tell a difference in performance and it has 2%more oil. A little extra oil definitely won't hurt.
Old 05-07-2002, 01:42 AM
Elwood
My Feedback: (2)

O'Donnell makes 2 different fuels. 1 has 12 % oil for race, the other has more. I go for the race blend.
Old 05-07-2002, 10:48 PM
gubbs3
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

They are all the same really. The difference in oil content isn't going to make that much difference either. You just need to keep it a little rich with the 10-12% oils.

It would make just as much sense to buy a fuel based on smell. I know that odonnel burns your eyes, traxxas smells like @$$, Blue Thunder is just a milder burn and Trinity isn't very bad at all. Morgan fuels are also pretty mild and Sig stinks just like traxxas.

Based on smell, I would buy Morgan(Sidewinder) or Trinity.
Old 05-08-2002, 05:11 AM
nagga

i use blue thunder 30% nitro, ran a tank through my buddys tmaxx, and man did it ever wake up lol, he is still runnin 15%, but is gonna up it to 25% soon, that BT i think is a great fuel
Old 05-08-2002, 09:58 AM
Tony Iannucelli
My Feedback: (193)

Default YS 20-20

I fly planes and helis and am back to cars too. I use a fuel called YS20-20, made by Powermaster, for everything. It's 20% nitro, 20% synthetic oil. Works great. If you want a little castor in it, adding about 2-3 ounces per gallon gets the job done. But the helis run in a VERY high heat environment, and I've never had to add the oil. I do with new engines for the first gallon, just for the peace of mind. More oil is always better. And more nitro too. The nitro allows you a broader needle valve setting, and the oil keeps things cool. That's what we've all been taught, and so far it's true in my experience. I burn about 16-20 gallons every flying/racing season, with no after-run and no problems. ---Tony
Old 05-08-2002, 08:23 PM
Krusty

Default Re: YS 20-20

Being I also fly planes, I too use the same fuel YS 20/20 in my cars. I just add an additional 2 oz of castor. Never had a problem. I have been into nitro engines since 1960, starting with planes and then with the addition of cars in 1969. I've always used model airplane fuel in my cars without any issues whatsoever. Model airplane engines were used in cars in the early days.

Originally posted by Tony Iannucelli
I fly planes and helis and am back to cars too. I use a fuel called YS20-20, made by Powermaster, for everything. It's 20% nitro, 20% synthetic oil. Works great. If you want a little castor in it, adding about 2-3 ounces per gallon gets the job done. But the helis run in a VERY high heat environment, and I've never had to add the oil. I do with new engines for the first gallon, just for the peace of mind. More oil is always better. And more nitro too. The nitro allows you a broader needle valve setting, and the oil keeps things cool. That's what we've all been taught, and so far it's true in my experience. I burn about 16-20 gallons every flying/racing season, with no after-run and no problems. ---Tony
Old 05-09-2002, 04:59 AM
KevinBourland
My Feedback: (9)

I have had great luck with Wildcat in all my planes, and my chopper. My XXXnt's are burning Traxxas 20% right now, and I am pleased with this blend, just as I am with the "Blue Jug". I have heard, that O'donnell is great for racing, matter of fact, some drivers swear by it! I don't see any reason for 30% in a T-Max, unless you just want a new motor! LOL!

Good luck!
Kevin
Old 05-11-2002, 01:47 AM
aznham

i use 20% Powermaster racing fuel... stuff runs fine... but it smells while burning and it hurts my nose..
Old 08-18-2002, 06:01 PM
nrctc3
My Feedback: (3)

O'Donnel 20% then I add a 1 oz of synthetic and castor oil. For added protection for my engine because of the hot temperatures.
Old 08-18-2002, 10:54 PM
FlyinRazorback

I am now using Trinity Monster and like it alot. The ODonnel burned my eyes too bad so I ditched it after less than half a gallon. I now use the O'donnel fuel to soak dirty screws and stuff.
Old 08-18-2002, 10:55 PM
nrctc3

how do u burn your eyes and nose??? lol what do u do drive it in the house? lol
Old 08-18-2002, 11:00 PM
FlyinRazorback

Nose? I didn't say anything about my nose. You must know what I'm talking about though. BTW, if my wife would let me, I'd have a track set up in my house
Old 08-18-2002, 11:02 PM
nrctc3

ya you'd kill yourself too. the exhuast from your rc is the same as from normal cars!!!
Old 08-18-2002, 11:04 PM
Shadow102
My Feedback: (5)

well even though i dun have my gt anymore and wnet back to electric i rly like trinity monster and the platnum stuff is great if you feel like spending a little extra so thats the only thing i let my bro run in his t-maxx with hpi SS engine that i do all the werk for because god forbid he reads
Old 08-19-2002, 04:10 PM
coop-RCU

I fly helis too, so I have been using Cool Power 30% in my T-Maxx, and RC-10, no problems, maybe a little more smoke than the car fuels, but oil is good ...Coop
Old 08-21-2002, 10:35 AM
LSP972
My Feedback: (13)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Man; where were all you guys when I was debating the hard-core car enthusiasts on RCO a couple of years ago? I was flayed severely for even SUGGESTING using that evil airplane fuel in a car/buggy/truck.

I'm glad to see that the brainwashing is not affecting everybody...<G> I suppose folks who only run the land vehicles don't mind paying up to one third more for fuel, since they don't use as much of it.

But when I got into the stadium truck scene a couple of years ago, and paid $25 for a gallon of 10% "car fuel"(Blue Thunder), I knew something was fishy.

These days, my grandson's RC-10 and my Nitro Rush run just fine on $12 per gallon Omega 10% with 3 ounces of castor added. I stopped using high nitro fuel in my helos a few years back; the stuff has simply gotten too expensive for my tastes, and I used 15% for years successfully; and am doing so again.

But I tried a tank of 30% CP in the Nitro Rush one time, with predictable results. You guys that want to blow away your pal in street or back yard races, this is the stuff. For just putzing around and having fun, you can tune your engine to just about any type of fuel you want. I would stay with at least 10% nitro, though; these little engines need it.

Steve
Old 08-21-2002, 01:58 PM
scale only 4 me
My Feedback: (158)

Received 51 Likes on 49 Posts

10 -12% oil :spinnyeye
The minimum in airplane fuel is 18% and you have all that air passing over the engine to keep it cool!!

Me an a Buddy of mine were discussing this yesterday
I think the Fuel companies and the engine manufactures are in cahoots!!
These so called racing fuel are made just for that RACING
And I'm sure developed like all other racing products, by sponsored drivers.
If I was sponsored by OS. I wouldn't think twice about leaning out my engine with only 10-12% oil

It all comes down to a compromise. You’re going to have to trade durability for speed, or speed for durability. You choice!!

And I have found over the years that High nitro is not necessarily bad. quit the opposite,
The higher nitro allows you to get more power from a richer needle setting
How many times have I seen someone at the field leaning the heck out of his motor to get that extra power when he's only running 10% nitro?
I never run less than 15% in my airplane engines and 20% in cars.

Good luck.
Old 08-25-2002, 12:29 AM
kdh77

I have been running bt 20% for about 2 years now and I love it. I was also thinking of switching over to aircraft fuelbecause of the tremendous price difference. I pay $25 for a gallon of bt and it usually goes bad before i get to use it all. Anyways What is a good aircraft fuel to use in the 20 to 30% nitro range. Also where can you buy the castor oil seperate? and how much should I add to a gallon?
Old 08-25-2002, 12:34 AM
nrctc3

your hobby shop carries castor oil it's in a red bottle i know my lhs has it
Old 08-25-2002, 12:35 AM
Bonefrost
My Feedback: (6)

Sidewinder race fuel.Runs great w/ my truck.
Old 08-25-2002, 12:43 AM
coop-RCU

kdh77...Get some 30% Cool Power heli fuel, it has 22 % synthetic oil in it, no need to add any more, castor or otherwise...Coop
Old 08-25-2002, 12:46 AM
kdh77

do you know the approx price of it?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.