Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

Beadlock wheel concept

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2007, 07:28 AM
wings_of_fire

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Beadlock wheel concept

how does the beadlock wheel concept work?..
how many different parts make up a complete beadlock wheel ?
Old 12-01-2007, 01:47 PM
sunco1

Default RE: Beadlock wheel concept

this is all i know. and idk even knows if im right or not. but i tihnk the whole point behind it is so you dont have to glue your tires or something
Old 12-01-2007, 03:23 PM
Jeeprick

When Off-roading in a 1:1 you get better traction by running extremely low air pressure. I usually run somewhere between 5 and 10 lbs of pressue. When you do this the the tire flexes (conforms) to the rocks you are driving over. However this also allows for the tire to slip on the rim or roll off the rim altogether. So in come bead locks. They basically sandwich the bead of the tire between the rim and an outer ring. Which prevents the tire from both rolling off the wheel and slipping.

The concept is identical for whatever scale your running. Sandwich the RC tire between two parts of the wheel to prevent it from slipping or rolling off the wheel altogether.

In both RC and 1:1 if you slip a tire you have little to no traction. No traction and your not moving.

In RC you have the option of glueing your tires... to achieve the same goal... but glueing is not scale at all, and what if you want to replace a worn out tire... your replacing a wheel too!

I am guessing that most RC beadlocks consist of a wheel and an outer ring. So as to sandwich the tire between. There are are other styles in the 1:1 world but this seems the most practical on the RC scale

* I am only making an educated guess at the RC side. Maybe you can unglue a tire.

Old 12-03-2007, 12:20 AM
wings_of_fire

thnx a lot guys for those reviews Jee***** & sunco1
Old 12-03-2007, 01:18 AM
mindwreck

it pretty works the same way real 1:1 beadlocks work. theres a plate on the outside and it sandwiches the bead(the part you usually put glue on) to the wheels. plates are held in by screws. which are annoying as hell..

i have a set of proline commando beadlocks and there are 18 screws per plate. 36 screws per wheels. and for a set its 36x4 wheels = thats 144 freaken screws!!![sm=drowning.gif].

they are stronger ways of holding the tires. for crawling they run bbs or weights inside the tire to increase unsprung weight and provide mroe traction for crawling. also they need the beadlocks to handle the torque. also the scaleness is cool.

for other truck uses. its mainly for ballooning.. i've seen soem brushless trucks have they're tires explode off the wheel because they were spinning so fast and the glue just wasn't strong enough.
Old 12-03-2007, 01:34 AM
wings_of_fire

so r there total 3 parts in a bead lock wheel except for the screws ?
r the screws held by the inner diameter of the main wheel or the outer diameter of the main wheel ?

thnx a lot for ur review !

regards,
Pradeep
Old 12-03-2007, 01:36 AM
wings_of_fire

ORIGINAL: mindwreck

it pretty works the same way real 1:1 beadlocks work. theres a plate on the outside and it sandwiches the bead(the part you usually put glue on) to the wheels. plates are held in by screws. which are annoying as hell..

i have a set of proline commando beadlocks and there are 18 screws per plate. 36 screws per wheels. and for a set its 36x4 wheels = thats 144 freaken screws!!![sm=drowning.gif].

they are stronger ways of holding the tires. for crawling they run bbs or weights inside the tire to increase unsprung weight and provide mroe traction for crawling. also they need the beadlocks to handle the torque. also the scaleness is cool.

for other truck uses. its mainly for ballooning.. i've seen soem brushless trucks have they're tires explode off the wheel because they were spinning so fast and the glue just wasn't strong enough.
so r there total 3 parts in a bead lock wheel except for the screws ?
r the screws held by the inner diameter of the main wheel or the outer diameter of the main wheel ?

thnx a lot for ur review !

regards,
Pradeep
Old 12-03-2007, 08:20 AM
Dan S

I don't if all beadlocks system are the same ( I haven't look ) but on the HPI Baja 5B you have 3 pieces, 1 inner and 1 outter beadlock ring and the rim/wheel.

the screws are screwed into the rim/wheel on bothe sides.

Dan.
Old 12-17-2007, 12:51 AM
cd_14

Are there tires specifically made for bead rims? Or do the screws just screw throught the tire bead?
Old 12-17-2007, 05:39 PM
Grits

go to maximizerproducts.com and click on the Instructional Video button and that will show how their version works
Old 12-18-2007, 04:25 AM
wings_of_fire

hey Grits thnx for tht link .. the video was helpful . I was looking out for something like tht.
Old 12-18-2007, 04:36 AM
wings_of_fire

ORIGINAL: cd_14

Are there tires specifically made for bead rims? Or do the screws just screw throught the tire bead?
what I know is as follows .....
The hpi baja tire itself has a different bead design to allow the screws through. Other`s have different wheel design with separate parts which integrate to work out the whole concept.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Yw68418.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	15.8 KB
ID:	828453   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kf12458.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	10.9 KB
ID:	828454