Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

Traxxas going the way of Losi?

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2008, 06:44 PM
hands without shadows

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Traxxas going the way of Losi?

http://www.traxxas.com/products/promo/5805_promo.htm

Looks like a rebodied Rustler with new bumpers. In my mind new wheels, body and one or two new parts do not make a new car. Am I the only one that feels that way do RC companies have it wrong?

EDIT: Just found the slideshow [sm=red_smile.gif]

Maybe its more than one or two new parts. Looks to have new elecs and a new chassis. Its kind of a Rustlapede. I'm happy about the radio box, mini receiver, and new wheels/tires. That means there will be more cheap crawler receivers and receiver boxes on Ebay soon and new wheels/tires are always good. They also thought the chassis design through this time. They got rid of that 20 year old MSC servo box so you can move your battery around and servo wires can pass under the battery.
Old 04-11-2008, 06:49 PM
nitrosportsandrunner

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default RE: Traxxas going the way of Losi?

hey i like it. waterproof electronics, good looking body and tires. if i had the cash, id sell my rustler and buy the slash in a heartbeat.
yes, they used parts from older trucks but there is some updating. brushless ready steel tranny and waterproofing, much better servo than old rusty. it looks like it has pede ground clearance, but handling more like a rusty. i like watching CORR, and would love a body that looked like those trucks, they are awsome.
the only thing i dont like that traxxas did, is use the titan. should have gone with some new 540 motor.

oh, who says traxxas didnt start making this truck before losi started making theirs? could have happened either way.
even if both companies are re-using parts to make new trucks, as long as they only keep the parts that worked well before, i dont mind.
Old 04-11-2008, 06:51 PM
wolfgang123

i think it looks sweet
Old 04-11-2008, 07:04 PM
Access

They could have picked a better name... though it looks like a good concept at first glance, I think the name will kill it.
Old 04-11-2008, 07:05 PM
zjwhitrock

no traxxas is not coping losi they at least change parts on it to updated it a little.

whats the most inavatove thing to come from Losi in the past 2 years??
Old 04-11-2008, 07:17 PM
sheograth

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I feel that both companies, (and most others) are bowing to pressure from the market to continuously release products just so that they can call them new. It's the nature of the beast, though it's unfortunate because to me it feels like a watering down of the hobby. I'm seeing far too many RTR cars and trucks with an emphasis on driving only and not working on and maintaining - which to me is a huge part of the fun. Personally I'd be fine waiting for a longer period of time in between new releases if it meant that those new releases would actually be innovative. Installing some hop ups, changing the name, and putting a new body on a car does not make it new in my eyes. Most hobbyists do that kind of stuff to their vehicles within the first few months of ownership anyway.
Old 04-11-2008, 07:21 PM
sheograth

All that said, I do like the look of this "new" truck
Old 04-11-2008, 07:28 PM
nitrosportsandrunner

i feel that losi and traxxas new trucks will help some new people into the hobby, cause the trucks look more like the real thing. it is hard for companies to make rcs that perform good, and look like real vehicles. tamiya make some awsome real looking rcs, but you cant bashem like a rusty. these truck of losi and traxxas look like racing trucks, and i think that will appeal to more people.

yes, some REAL inovation would be nice. but inovations cant come along very oftem. think about where RTR vehicle are now! its not easy to make huge leaps over vehicles that are already tough as nails and that perform good out of the box.
Old 04-11-2008, 07:35 PM
Jeff Oliver

Looks basically like a rally truck.
I'd say it's a cool new edition. Quite creative, some thing new. I like it!

Is it out yet?
Old 04-11-2008, 07:40 PM
hands without shadows

ORIGINAL: zjwhitrock

no traxxas is not coping losi they at least change parts on it to updated it a little.

whats the most inavatove thing to come from Losi in the past 2 years??
The Micro-T line.
Old 04-11-2008, 07:47 PM
nitrosportsandrunner

was the mini t line inovative? they just shrunk a stadium truck down. more like they saw a new market they could create.
creating a new market for rc could be considered inovative i guess, but i wouldnt car the rc itself inovative. fun tho.
Old 04-11-2008, 07:48 PM
s7jstep1

i like it. id like to see a race between it and a losi desert truck on a scale track. that would be cool
Old 04-11-2008, 07:53 PM
SavageX78

Very nice truck. I will probably pick 1 up. I think they should have gone with something other than the 12t motor though. I remember reading alot of bad thing about the titan 12t on traxxas's forms. but at least traxxas has great support.
Old 04-11-2008, 09:34 PM
HpiDrifter420

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i motor swap is a easy thing but id just run the titan til its dead first. i want one and a losi they would be fun to race around
Old 04-11-2008, 10:29 PM
annie_himself

Thats nice looking but I won't buy it.
Old 04-12-2008, 02:40 PM
The_Shark

hate most of traxxas, but love that truck!

its like a real stadium truck, it almost looks like something from taymia, because of thier drive for a more realistic look.
handling may be a little worse than regular stadium trucks though due to the tire size and chassis width.

looking foward for a T-Rex r/c (the three wheeled canadian made sports car) that would be sweet
Old 04-12-2008, 02:56 PM
justinep

I own a few traxxas vehicles but they really need to start a new vehicle with new technology from SCRATCH! These same platform vehicles with different names and prices are getting aggrivating. I wont buy it... if I want it, I will buy the body, mounts and wheels haha
Old 04-12-2008, 03:00 PM
SavageX78

ORIGINAL: justinep

I own a few traxxas vehicles but they really need to start a new vehicle with new technology from SCRATCH! These same platform vehicles with different names and prices are getting aggrivating. I wont buy it... if I want it, I will buy the body, mounts and wheels haha

Ya but at least they changed the chassis and a few other things. Losi is just taking the XXX chassis and making everything with it. Not much inovation there either. But why mess with what works i guess is there theory.
Old 04-12-2008, 04:34 PM
cobra26

I like that body! It's a cool lookin' rally-style truck but it should come in nitro, or does it? I can't tell . . .
Old 04-12-2008, 05:01 PM
sheograth

If you like that look but want nitro check out the BR50 by Axial/Robitronic. I don't own one but have heard nothing but excellent things about it.
Old 04-12-2008, 05:08 PM
SavageX78

The tires look similar to the HPI geolanders.
Old 04-14-2008, 09:23 AM
Chris_RC

ORIGINAL: MF2MM5700

Ya but at least they changed the chassis and a few other things. Losi is just taking the XXX chassis and making everything with it. Not much inovation there either. But why mess with what works i guess is there theory.
You don''t think Losi changed anything with the Losi 1/10 Desert Truck!??!?!? A lot more then Traxxas I can tell you right now. here are the new features:
Functioning Off-road lights and taillight
Molded roll cage and tubular bumpers
Chrome Wheels and realistic Desert Racing all-terrain tires
Rugged Suspension with long-travel, aluminum, oil-filled shocks
CV style Long Rear Dog bones
Losi Radio System with Spektrum DSM 2.4 GHz Technology
Losi MSC12RB 12T Fwd/Rev Electronic Speed Control
Extended chassis accommodates LiPo and NiMH batteries
Low maintenance spider-gear differential
Captured rod ends for less ball pops
Losi LM-32K 32,000 RPM performance motor

The only thing Traxxas did was add a body, waterproffed the electronics which I think is stupid because they made it for short dirt track racing, tires which don''t look as good as the Losi ones, and a new chassis. They kept the same ESC and electronics while Losi kept their Spectrum 2.4ghz while Losi made a new motor and ESC. Pretty good 12t one if you ask me. And the roll cage and all terrain tires are also a BIG ++
Old 04-14-2008, 10:08 AM
SavageX78

ORIGINAL: Chris_RC

ORIGINAL: MF2MM5700

You don''''t think Losi changed anything with the Losi 1/10 Desert Truck!??!?!? A lot more then Traxxas I can tell you right now. here are the new features:
Functioning Off-road lights and taillight
Molded roll cage and tubular bumpers
Chrome Wheels and realistic Desert Racing all-terrain tires
Rugged Suspension with long-travel, aluminum, oil-filled shocks
CV style Long Rear Dog bones
Losi Radio System with Spektrum DSM 2.4 GHz Technology
Losi MSC12RB 12T Fwd/Rev Electronic Speed Control
Extended chassis accommodates LiPo and NiMH batteries
Low maintenance spider-gear differential
Captured rod ends for less ball pops
Losi LM-32K 32,000 RPM performance motor

The only thing Traxxas did was add a body, waterproffed the electronics which I think is stupid because they made it for short dirt track racing, tires which don''''t look as good as the Losi ones, and a new chassis. They kept the same ESC and electronics while Losi kept their Spectrum 2.4ghz while Losi made a new motor and ESC. Pretty good 12t one if you ask me. And the roll cage and all terrain tires are also a BIG ++

Everything with the exception of the lights and roll cage are from the speed-T. I dont think the put to much effort into it. They just took the speed-T and added lights and a roll cage. And a different body. Now that ive taken a closer look at the losi Desert truck Id probably get that before the Slash. But theres still nothing new on it. Just a bunch of Seed-T parts and a roll cage. I do like the tires too. Very scale looking.

Personally I like losi A lot. I had a rustler first and then got my MF2 and I love my MF2 its fast and durable. My rustler was always down and needing repair.

Old 04-14-2008, 12:59 PM
The Hedgehog

ORIGINAL: nitrosportsandrunner

was the mini t line inovative? they just shrunk a stadium truck down. more like they saw a new market they could create.
creating a new market for rc could be considered inovative i guess, but i wouldnt car the rc itself inovative. fun tho.
You''re saying the mini-t wasn''t innovative??? They pretty much created a new segment to the hobby. That sums up innovation to me.
Old 04-14-2008, 01:05 PM
SavageX78

ORIGINAL: AutoXMan

ORIGINAL: nitrosportsandrunner

You''''re saying the mini-t wasn''''t innovative??? They pretty much created a new segment to the hobby. That sums up innovation to me.
Ya wasnt it losi''s mini-t that started the whole 1/18th craze.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.