Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

Electric Lighting Question/Idea

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2008, 10:18 AM
dhyde79

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Electric Lighting Question/Idea

I'm trying to figure out how to set up a lighting system on my Electric TC's (TripleX-S and TC3) that'll be activated by the 3rd channel on the radio if possible, so that it's not running all the time.

if I can set it up to run with a separate BEC & capacitor to keep them smoothly running at 6V I'd like to do it that way, or, am willing to wire it with a separate 9V Battery if absolutely required.

I'm contemplating headlights, tail lights, and possibly driving lights. (or, optimal would be a pair of always on yellow for "parking lights" and then when 3rd channel activated kicking on a set of headlights, tail lights, and fog/driving lights.)

anyway, the hard part is the debate of how to do the on/off with 3rd channel, is there an easy way to make that one run without going the route of a micro servo and a little switch that it'll trip it when actuated, or is that pretty much the only way I'll get it to work?
Old 05-19-2008, 10:47 AM
The Hedgehog

Default RE: Electric Lighting Question/Idea

They sell plenty of light kits, that can do everything you want for about 20 bucks. 3racings makes them, Yeah racing, Tamiya.
Old 05-19-2008, 10:59 AM
dhyde79

see, all the ones I've seen are designed to be always on kits.....that and I was hoping that making from scratch would be a bit more creative.....that and all of the ones I've seen ran around $50.....but, if you've got links for the others, I'll gladly look at them and see what they have....

3racing's not that cheap either, they're $30 for just the controller, and then you pay per LED at $4.17 per individual LED, with what I was looking at, that's another $33.36, so now we're at $60+ for the 3racing setup......
Old 05-19-2008, 11:48 AM
Access

You can use a really cheap brushed ESC, like the $9. ones and then just take the voltage from that.
Old 05-19-2008, 11:52 AM
dhyde79

run dual ESC? one for the lights/cooling fan(s) and one for the motor? (both cars will be running a Mamba Max 5700 before too long)
Old 05-19-2008, 12:15 PM
The Hedgehog

http://cgi.ebay.com/3Racing-8-LEDs-6...QQcmdZViewItem
Old 05-19-2008, 01:04 PM
dhyde79

all of the "cool" things that kit does only work from nitro systems.

but, it's a possibility.....
Old 05-20-2008, 07:25 AM
The Hedgehog

Huh? That kit works with electric and nitro powered equally as well.
Old 05-20-2008, 07:30 AM
TIGER76

I saw a drift car which had a third servo setting to pop up his headlights it looked so cool not sure how he was running his LEDS tho []
Old 05-20-2008, 07:39 AM
The Hedgehog

The LED kit I posted does not even need a 3rd channel, it can run off a 2 channel radio. It comes with a Y-harness that can hook up to the steering or throttle channels.
Old 05-20-2008, 07:48 AM
GYNAIKAS

Well that's easy to be done with a simple R C circuit. This will transform the pulse signal from your 3rd channel into a DC signal wich will vary according to the pulse lenght. That rc circuit will drive the led circuit. You don't need additional source cause it will be powered from the input signal that uses the receiver battery pack. Also if the signal has low power you can use a simple BJT transistor to amplify it.