Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

TMAXX engine swap

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2002, 09:16 PM
FlyinRazorback
My Feedback: (8)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default TMAXX engine swap

I can't seem to get my engine to run right. Never ran all that great after the break-in per manual. Now it is spitting fuel out below the cylinder head. I was planning on putting a new engine in it anyways. I would appreciate a little advice on which engine / pipe set up would work good for the truck. I'm not planning on changing alot, just want to drop a new engine in and go. I have always liked and trusted OS engines in my planes. Do they make good car engines as well? Also, will I be able to use my electric starter on a new engine? Thanks in advance.
Old 03-23-2002, 09:54 PM
Hots_Flyer
My Feedback: (2)

I have a Megatech 16 in mine. Big difference from the stock TRX 15. It's a drop in engine. No mods at all.

You need to check the tightness of the 4 head bolts on your TRX. Tighten them in a cross pattern.
Old 03-24-2002, 01:11 AM
JohnVH
My Feedback: (38)

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

anything with a pullstart should drop right in it, Ive got the novarossi .12 in mine. claimed 1hp
Old 03-24-2002, 04:09 AM
nfosec

OS engines are rock solid across the board. There are conversions available to use the EZ start with other engines, but pull start isn't that bad either. The pull start .15 CV-RX is due in the next month or so, over twice the power of the TRX engine. The CV-X or CV engine is a good engine as well, but not much more power than the TRX. Any way you go with OS, they will be easier to tune than the TRX as OS's tend to be. Another good choice is the Fantom .15. Steer clear of the megatech, they're nice for a while, but have durability issues.
Old 03-24-2002, 08:47 AM
FlyinRazorback

Default Thanks nfosec

I guess I'll just be patient and wait on the CV-RX. I've always been a little leary getting away from the mainstream, especially when engines are concerned. I have read elsewhere about the M-16 problems as well. Seems like half of the people who get one love it while the other half hates it.

Anyways, I guess I'll sit and stare at the truck until the engine hits the market.
Old 03-24-2002, 03:02 PM
nfosec

One option I forgot to mention is the OS .12 CV-RX. It has been out for quite some time, and is pull start. It's not as powerful as the .15 (1.0 HP vs. 1.2 HP, still almost twice the power of the TRX) but is something you could get right now. I see you're in Memphis - speaking of Memphis and TMaxxes, our RC monster truck demo team was down there in Feb. for the Thunder Nationals at the Pyramid. We performed before the show and during the intermissions. Had a good time, and made it down to Beale for the Mardi Gras festivities.
Old 03-24-2002, 03:56 PM
Elwood

How about a Novarossi .12? I have the pull start and it is awesome in my RC10.
Old 03-24-2002, 05:57 PM
FlyinRazorback

nfosec, I'm sure the show was good. Just so happens that I will be in St. Louis April 13-15. Not RC related though, I will be there to watch the Cards. Let me know if there is anything RC going on that weekend. Maybe I can talk the wife into going......

Elwood, I have thought about the Rossi. Any info or comparisons to the OS (price, power, reliability, where to buy, etc) would be appreciated. I'm sure they are strong engines as Rossi's always are.
Old 03-24-2002, 08:32 PM
Elwood

Here is some info. Both are for rotary carbs. Slide carbs (For T-maxx) should run a few $'s more.

Rossi CX-12 Pullstart $160 at Bruckner Hobbies
CUBIC CAPACITY 2.1c.c.
WEIGHT gr. 210
BORE 13.80
STROKE 14.00
POWER 1 H.P.
RPM 35.000

OS .12 CV-RX $180 at Bruckner Hobbies ($200 for slide carb)
Displacement: 0.129 cu in (2.11cc)
Weight: 258g
Bore: 0.55" (14.0mm)
Stroke: 0.54" (13.7mm)
Power Output: 1.0 bhp / 31,000 rpm
Practical RPM: 4,000 - 36,000

Service for the NovaRossi is done at http://www.parisracing.com/. they are the sole importer/distributor, and Bruckner buys from them. So service is no problem, although I have not had a need for any!

I have about 1.25 to 1.5 gallons of O'Donnel race fuel through my Rossi. Only gas used in it. It has great compression despite having only 12% oil for all that time. You should expect gallons to run through it with no problem if you use 18 to 20% oil.

It also holds a needle setting without problem. The only thing that I had trouble with was running it too rich during break-in. I broke the starter a couple of times since it was flooded. This was my problem, and not the engines however. I was not leaning it out fast enough.

Good luck with your choice,

Elwood

PS - Maybe I should copy this post out and put it in the review forum!!!

PPS - What would you rather have, a Toyota or a Ferrari!!! (For those that do not know, OS is made in Japan, and NovaRossi is made in Italy.)
Old 03-25-2002, 02:15 AM
nfosec

I only want to take two issues with your post Elwood. First, the OS is $190 for a slide carb version at Tower. Second, the Toyota vs. Ferrari comparison is a bit off-base, as both make the same horsepower. Besides, I don't think you REALLY want to start talking about Italian car reliability, fit and finish. A more accurate analogy for the OS CV-R series would be to an Acura NSX or Supra Twin-Turbo if we're going to continue in that direction. But in the spirit of 'truth in advertising', the OS engine is considered a race engine and comes with NO warranty. Not that I've ever had an OS engine that needed it... All mass production nitro engines are made outside this country as far as I know, so source is irrelevant. Reputation is what matters. I've never heard anything bad about 'rossi engines that I can recall, but I do know for certain that OS has a solid history of engines with excellent fit, finish, tuneability and reliability.
Old 03-25-2002, 03:27 AM
FlyinRazorback

Thanks for the info Elwood. They are pretty similar in specs. I have to say I got a kick out of your comparisons between a Toyota and Ferrari though. This is what I have been driving for the past 6 months:
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	6697_542.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	14.8 KB
ID:	4771  
Old 03-25-2002, 12:46 PM
Steve Campbell2

nfosec,

Dunno if it has carried over into the car engines, but we've been seeing some issues with OS aircraft engines over the past few years. Not so much a QC problem, although there has been some of that; mainly, manufacturing shortcuts that are disturbing to some.

Having said that, the bulk of my engines are OS, and the company does have an unsurpassed track record.

As to Rossi, it sounds like the car engines are not as temperamental as the aircraft versions. I had two, and when they were running right, they were in a class by themselves. But they woke up in a different world every day. Good engines, but they needed a lot of tweaking and TLC.

Are these Rossi or Novarossi engines we're discussing here?

Steve
Old 03-25-2002, 01:03 PM
Elwood

Default Chill out, dude!

nfosec,

To answer your issues in order.

I know that it is $190 in Tower, but Tower does not sell Novarossi. To give an honest comparison, I thought it was best to look at a supplier that stocked both. I am sure that FlyinRazorback has a preferred hobby shop that he will deal with. I though I answered his question and gave him a fair comparison. BTW, Bruckner may have matched the Tower price.

Italian reliability - Everybody knows about it. If you can afford a Ferrari, I am sure that you have a backup car.
Italian fit and finish - I would rather get a Ferrari that was assembled by hand. Hand sewn Italian leather seats... Sounds nice to me!

Source is important if you want good service. Read through these pages to find out what engine gets good sevice and what does not. Also, thanks for making a point for me. The NovaRossi has a warranty. I guess OS does not want to stand by its products. Have you heard of the liner issue with the OS .46 FX? I hope mine does not peel like many others.

I guess the comparison between the 2 countries was more for the oohs and aahs! Please don't take offence. A lot of people where I race have OS, but the NovaRossi gets a lot of attention in the pits. Simillary, what will get more attention? A Supra or Barchetta?

I too have a strong opinion on cars, but this is not the place. If you would like to discuss the various merrits of different cars, then we should take it off-line and go to e-mail.(?)

FlyinRazorback,

Nice truck. Hope you enjoy it. My father in law has an 83 that still runs great. Just don't ask about the bed!

Most cars from Japan are of good quality that will last a long time. 2 cars that I am looking at from Japan are the new RX-8 from Mazda and the Subaru RS. I say this only to put down any fears of Japanese car bashing!

Later,

Elwood
Old 03-25-2002, 06:33 PM
FlyinRazorback

Default No need in waiting

Well, let me say I appreciate the info guys. Didn't mean to start an argument about real cars I was milling around Tower and guess what I found? OS 15 CV-RX. I got the rotary carb mainly b/c I had read somewhere that it would be fine for what I want to do. It cost me just under $190 shipped. I'll go ahead and be the guinnea pig here and let you guys know how the engine does.

Now a new question. What type of exhaust should I use? Will it be ok to use the standard setup that's on it now? I plan on getting a new pipe in time but if I can use the one I have I will for now. What do you guys think?

Elwood, here's a new pick for ya. Looks like they are doing something right in Japan.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	6743_542.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	12.9 KB
ID:	4772  
Old 03-25-2002, 06:47 PM
Elwood

Doesn't the t-maxx have a slide carb? Did you take this into account? It might require a setup change with the throttle servo.
Old 03-25-2002, 07:56 PM
Hots_Flyer

The T-Maxx TRX 15 has a rotary carb.
Old 03-25-2002, 08:01 PM
Elwood

I could swear it did...Oh well. I guess my mind is going!
Old 03-26-2002, 12:09 AM
nfosec

Yeah, the 350ZX looks to be one hot little number (that is a 350 in the pic, right?). You can use the stock traxxas pipe, but it may be a bit restrictive. CVEC makes a killer pipe, but it's a bit pricey (but they come in PRETTY colors!). Paris, Novarossi also make nice pipes. Ace Hobbies has some of them, but as always try and give the biz to your LHS. You bought a high performance engine, now you need a high performance pipe
Old 03-26-2002, 01:00 AM
FlyinRazorback

Originally posted by nfosec
Yeah, the 350ZX looks to be one hot little number (that is a 350 in the pic, right?). You can use the stock traxxas pipe, but it may be a bit restrictive.
By restrictive do you mean damaging the engine or just not getting all of the hp out of it? I will get one in time, just not now.

And yes that is the new Z-car. They will be out in August, thinking about pre-ordering one now. Close to 300hp in that little baby.
Old 03-26-2002, 01:34 AM
nfosec

Should just hurt your power, but keep an eye on that stock pipe. The baffle cones inside have been known to melt from time to time. Breakin temps on the OS shouldn't hurt it, but the cone inside can melt if it gets hot enough. You might try taking the cone out (which will make it loud) or drill some more holes through it, but make sure you still have enough backpressure for your fuel supply.
Old 03-26-2002, 03:53 AM
Elwood

He should be OK on back pressure. My GT does not have a baffle. It gets the pressure from restriction that the stinger provides.

I would go with a different pipe, but look for low-end power. A lot of pipes out there are for Touring Cars. They make them to make more power in the higher RPM range.
Old 02-27-2012, 05:00 PM
BulgarianBullwhip
Banned

Default RE: TMAXX engine swap

ORIGINAL: FlyinRazorback

I can't seem to get my engine to run right. Never ran all that great after the break-in per manual. Now it is spitting fuel out below the cylinder head. I was planning on putting a new engine in it anyways. I would appreciate a little advice on which engine / pipe set up would work good for the truck. I'm not planning on changing alot, just want to drop a new engine in and go. I have always liked and trusted OS engines in my planes. Do they make good car engines as well? Also, will I be able to use my electric starter on a new engine? Thanks in advance.
sounds like it's running fine
Old 02-27-2012, 08:16 PM
BulgarianBullwhip
Banned

repeat: no chance
Old 02-27-2012, 08:31 PM
BulgarianBullwhip
Banned

hello? I thought I said something here!
Old 03-17-2012, 03:51 PM
RectalExam
Banned

bump

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.