Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Car General Discussions
Reload this Page >

"Why don't you pick a cheaper hobby?"

Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

"Why don't you pick a cheaper hobby?"

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2010, 07:16 PM
blkman73

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE:

When my wife complained about the cost of RC's I said to her.
"I dont do drugs or drink... Cheap trade off dont you think. "
She thought about how much money her family spends every week on alcohol and agreed with me.
Now I live in peace.....
Old 01-02-2010, 07:18 PM
2.4ghs
My Feedback: (15)

Default RE: RE:

VERY GOOD REPLY
Old 01-02-2010, 07:43 PM
StevL

ORIGINAL: jacjac

oh hell no if she broke my stuff on purpose, like the wing off my 40% YAK, we would be DONE, ive known women like that next they are throwing pots and pans at you.
There is a young man that works at one of our local hobby shops. He was to meet his wife for lunch and time had slipped by while he was working on the hobby store's trailer (about 15 minutes late). She drove up and jumped out the car, grabbed his 27% extra from behind the trailer and slammed it to the ground breaking it into several pieces. Then threw the engine and motor box to the ground.

I later asked what did you say to her, this was his reply; "you shouldn't have broken Paul's airplane, he had just paid me for it and I was going to take us out of town for a great weekend, now we have to buy him a new plane"!

Never did find out how that went over as it was his plane, he had not sold it.

They fight like cats and dogs, I don't know how he puts up with it, I sure wouldn't.

Steve
Old 01-02-2010, 08:21 PM
frets24
My Feedback: (15)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

RE: RE: - 1/2/2010 6:15 PM

monsterbombs

maybe some of us should start looking at guns for a hobby like tbj. j/k
That doesn't go over too well either...especially when you tell her the next MG you've been eyeing goes for around 10k plus the transfer taxes, sheriffs dept fee and dealer fees. Telling her it's part of the "retirement/investment portfolio" helps some since the prices keep climbing on tranferables and they haven't dropped a bit while the stock market tanked. Then there's the ammo...at .30-.45 cent a round and a cyclic rate of 550-900/min, it doesn't take long to burn some serious cash. 100 rd drum magazine out of the tommy gun is @ $40 to fill it up and 10 seconds to have nada left but hot empty brass and an empty drum...let's not even talk about the belt fed.

The water sports and music/guitars are easier since they both make for a good way for everyone to enjoy time together and allows for getting involved with the kids AND their friends. Lets you check out who they're hanging around with without being intrusive. Two of the three kids also developed an intrest in guitar and are both getting pretty good.

Too bad not a one of them (the kids) caught the R/C infection. R/C being the most economical of the intrests, she doesn't complain too much. Even bought me a plane for a birthday gift year before last. I just need to balance my time spent between family and hobbies and it seems to be all good. Both the kids and the wife seem to spell love as T-I-M-E.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Zw69681.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	76.1 KB
ID:	1347713   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ea84310.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	75.4 KB
ID:	1347714  
Old 01-02-2010, 08:25 PM
colmo-RCU

or grow a pair
Old 01-02-2010, 08:28 PM
colmo-RCU

ORIGINAL: quietnas1

ORIGINAL: ThunderbirdJunkie

ORIGINAL: andernamen

For my wife it is not simply the money, cause I rarely buy new planes and I don't spend money on anything. Pelse. For her it is about controlling me and keeping me under her thumb. She HATES the hobby and rarely do I get away with doing it. She has broken more than one plane and hangs them over me at every opportunity to make me ''fall in line''. My suggestion, if the GF is balking at the hobby now, definitely don't marry her and start looking for another. Life is too short. It will only get worse if you stay with her.
Wow...
Dude that's bad.
Wow brother. Sounds like a volitile situation. Breaking your stuff to keep you in check? Not good brother. My wife hates the hobby but understands it's what makes me happy. As mentioned in my earlier post she got me the Savage for Christmas.

In your case here is what I would do. Just act like you don't care. Ignore her when she tries to have converation. Push her emotianally away until SHE cheats on you. Then you can divorce her and keep pmpost of your stuff. She will be the one messing up not you. Just play the victim and play it good. Trust me it works.
Or grow a pair and cut her dresses in half
Old 01-02-2010, 08:29 PM
rast4man
My Feedback: (10)

I definitely went the gun route. My current girlfriend is terrified of them so they are all gone. I jump "hobbies" like chaning underwear.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Hf99114.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	65.0 KB
ID:	1347721  
Old 01-02-2010, 09:25 PM
RCRON
My Feedback: (33)

Default RE:

First you need a new woman!!!! This is my cheaper hobby. I used to have a real Plane, talk about MONEY thats where it was going to. Hobbies are not cheap, but what is these days!!!!!
Old 01-02-2010, 09:42 PM
Ttam Says Blarg

Default RE:

This hobby isnt to bad. I spend about 300 a month. I probably spend just as much on gas and my car.
Old 01-02-2010, 09:55 PM
retransit
My Feedback: (18)

I feel sorry for the guys that have problems with girlfriends/spouses.

My wife bought me my first R/C radio in 1972 and my most recent engine, an ASP FS400AR four stroke 5 cylinder radial. Ah, life is tough!

Bob
Old 01-02-2010, 10:22 PM
rast4man
My Feedback: (10)

Default RE:

All I know is some of you guys better "clear history" in your respective browsers. Nosy wives and girlfriends can get wind of this thread and it's going to be pure hell.
Old 01-02-2010, 10:32 PM
quietnas1

Default RE:

Why are some women like that. What is the point? IDK. Glad my wife tolerates it. Hell I tolerate her Coach purse hobby.
Old 01-02-2010, 11:34 PM
ForkedTailDevil
My Feedback: (21)

Default RE:

Wow, feel sorry for all u fellers with complaining wifes/girlfriends! Mine has been supportive since the day she finally realized what the hobby was. I fly giantscale warbirds and spend hours to replicate or "try to" replicate what those who fought for our country in. Not only do i have the thrill of building and flying these machines, i'm also learning a part of history by researching squadrons and pilots from the WWII era. My wife has searched on the internet, libraries, books, mag. you name it to help me find documentation for whatever project i undertake. Heck, Dino from meister-scale was so intregued, she now is also part of the meister crew with her very own shirt and name! She loves going to airshows, she cuts templates for my insignas, and even bought me a mesiter FW 190A from my graduation last year. Therefore, since then i'v married her LOL! In the flip of things, I also support her in wanting shoes, paints, shirts, accessories because she enjoys it. As long as we are fair with each other and stay within budget, everything is gravy! Happy New Year!

Bubs
Old 01-03-2010, 12:21 AM
JimboGreek
My Feedback: (7)

Been dating my GF about 5 months...I think she might really support my hobby...bought me the Phoenix flight simulator for Christmas....she's been playing with it more than I have. I wonder if in a year's time I will be complaining about how much money she spends on the hobby...
Old 01-03-2010, 01:10 AM
usa98030

Default RE:

In my opinion this is the cheapest hobby out there (THATS ACTUALLY FUN) If i would mod. my vette its close to 1g everytime, for example my magnaflow exhaust was 1g.
Old 01-03-2010, 01:28 AM
LAWNDART65

Default RE:

Ya gotta have some fun!!! Nobody gets off this rock alive!!!! John
Old 01-03-2010, 01:33 AM
ThunderbirdJunkie
My Feedback: (3)

ORIGINAL: rast4man

All I know is some of you guys better ''clear history'' in your respective browsers. Nosy wives and girlfriends can get wind of this thread and it's going to be pure hell.
ThunderbirdJunkie's woman was sitting right beside him watching his actions as he made this thread
Old 01-03-2010, 01:39 AM
MetallicaJunkie

Default RE:

ORIGINAL: ThunderbirdJunkie
Why don't you pick a cheaper hobby?"

LoL Flying RC aircraft is addicting, and im hooked....The experience of flying is drug like and drugs(RC) are expensive
Old 01-03-2010, 01:40 AM
Desertlakesflying
My Feedback: (28)

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts
Default RE:

Still haven;t found a g/f that thinks going flying every Sunday with some exceptions of course is worth sticking around for. Lucky me though, about the time I think about dating again, something new comes out I really want. So, I have no date money.....lol Really looking at jets lately. Guess I'm planning to be single a longgggg time.
Old 01-03-2010, 01:54 AM
scott page

I guess I too am lucky. My wife bought me the new Great Planes Shoestring ARF for Christmas. She also arranged to have it all assembled and ready to fly before it went under the tree. We both agree that RC is cheaper than therapy. Her knitting with hella expensive yarns is her "therapy" and I fully support her doing that. Many a summer day you will find us at the flying field, her knitting and me flying.
A gal that wants to change you is trying to put you under remote control. That's NOT healthy.
There is nothing in this world I can control but that damn airplane... and even that's an iffy proposition.
Old 01-03-2010, 02:14 AM
Prop_Washer2
My Feedback: (26)

My wife *****eees about the boxes in the garage...26 new ARF's NIB...big one's too, what the hell is the problem...??? So what you can't walk around them...

P.S. New motors and an Hitec A9 with 6 receivers, and a 26cc, 52cc, and two .52 four strokes in bound...Ohh...tha Radar Gun, and 2 other 1.20 -50cc size ARF's, what can be her problem...???

I can fire her azz like the other 3....you want sum??
Old 01-03-2010, 02:16 AM
ThunderbirdJunkie
My Feedback: (3)

Default RE:

26? WOW.

That, sir, is mind-blowing!
Old 01-03-2010, 05:32 AM
lez1troubles

Default RE:

oh my god I feel sorry for alot of you men out there, you go working really hard to have so decent clean fun and just get hell from the wife or girlfriend. DUMP HER AND BE HAPPY, with a bit of luck you'll find the right one for you who suports you and your hobby or whatever passion you may have.
FRETS24, wow dude, you've got a Schmeisser MP40,dude.[8D]
Rast4Man, dude, nice rifles.
Old 01-03-2010, 05:42 AM
animalnut

Default RE:

I'm so glad my wife supports my hobbies and I'm bad about it I buy a rtr and then buy every upgrade build it run it a couple times then sell it for 1/10 the build cost , all she's say's is why are you selling it? my reply is always the same because it's done and there's nothing left to work on or improve! I think I like building and working on them more then running them!
But the one I will never part with........unless it was for something really cool!!!
http://i186.photobucket.com/albums/x...0/P1010004.jpg
and these are a couple that are gone!
http://i186.photobucket.com/albums/x...0/P1050012.jpg
http://i186.photobucket.com/albums/x...0/P1010013.jpg
bought this took it home gutted it and dropped in a bl motor mamba esc and 2c lipo end cost around 350.00 ran it about 15 times got board with it now it just sits there but it was fast!
http://i186.photobucket.com/albums/x...0/DSC00031.jpg
http://i186.photobucket.com/albums/x...0/P4140001.jpg
http://s186.photobucket.com/albums/x...t=M4V00019.flv
and she never said a word about these either?
http://i186.photobucket.com/albums/x...ruckpic009.jpg
http://i186.photobucket.com/albums/x...ruckpic017.jpg
http://i186.photobucket.com/albums/x...ruckpic010.jpg Right on takeoff launched up out the water rolled mid air landed upside down and sank!
and don't forget these huge waste of cash!
http://i186.photobucket.com/albums/x...ruckpic008.jpg
http://i186.photobucket.com/albums/x...ruckpic007.jpg
Then there is the other hobby and I don't "hear" nothing about it either
http://i186.photobucket.com/albums/x...0/P5210010.jpg wasn't enough! So I went to this.
http://i186.photobucket.com/albums/x...0/P5260056.jpg
http://i186.photobucket.com/albums/x...0/P5270057.jpg
http://i186.photobucket.com/albums/x...0/P5310059.jpg
Then after reinforcing the cars electrical system for around 2500w rms, 200 consent amp draw I got this Now it's loud enough!
http://i186.photobucket.com/albums/x...0/P6170006.jpg 148.6 legal @40HZ
believe it or not even she was happy when the windsheild shattered! I let it go for about a week until it had been flexed&shattered so much you could barely see through it.lol And I have already cooked two of those 15"s at about a 1000.00 apiece all I hear from her is when are you fixing it I can't stand the way it sounds without it!(nothing but highs everything is set at a cutoff point on the amps!LOL)
Old 01-03-2010, 08:03 AM
TruckerPat

Thank you for the info on the Tx. This site is HUGE. So much information. To me, this thread is funny as most all the replies are regarding that post about 'her controlling him'. If women were talking about their men on a site, we would be laughing about it. Oh yes, you know we would.But some are doingthe same thing here. From my experience, (married 3 times), if you have no children and the woman complains all the time about anything you do - LEAVE HER NOW. Ifyou have toliveevery dayin fear that whatever you do will be met with hostility, the long term stress will get to you. I had to divorce my last wife because she got into doing speed/meth. Did not know itfor a year until I found some needles she accidentally left around the house. The stress I went through trying to keep the marriage together, and nothing was working trying to placate her to keep things calmwas taking its toll. Eventually, when we went bankrupt, she started having an affair with her dealer to get the stuff. Had to say so long. She ended up marrying the guy. 10 years later, they are still married to this day and very happy (and clean - no drugs). I nowhave a wife and a marriage where we are bonded on a spiritual level and so many otherlevels. Never knew the 'soulmate' thing actuallyexisted until now. My point being, if you know you are going to hear about it, no matter what insignificant thing 'it' was, itsnot worthsticking around and wasting years of your life living in fear. There is a good woman that isa perfect match for you out there. Wait for her and do not settle for the first thing thathappens by. I waited 9 years after the divorcefor my wife to come along. It was worth the wait!

[quote]ORIGINAL: Jeremy Z

Wow, this thread has reeled in two new RCU members. Welcome Skyleader and TruckerPat!

TruckerPat: If you need help getting going again, head over to the electric forum. There's also a special forum just for transmitter issues, though it is pretty slow, traffic-wise.

For old battery holders for the Tx, keep an eye on ebay. Maybe a replacement transmitter is in order. (a used one just like yours or a new one altogether)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.