Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Car Radio Equipment
Reload this Page >

Switch to a 2.4GhZ radio w/ spread spectrum

Community
Search
Notices
RC Car Radio Equipment Discuss specific topics related to RC car radios. For general or non rc car specific radio topics please see our regular radio discussion forum.

Switch to a 2.4GhZ radio w/ spread spectrum

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2011, 08:36 AM
Kevin_RHS

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Switch to a 2.4GhZ radio w/ spread spectrum

Hi everyone,

I have to build a "sumobot" for a state Science Olympiad competition coming up in a few weeks. I have purchased the car (
<meta charset="utf-8" />2.4 Ghz Himoto Racing 1/10 Electric Buggy Off Road 3 CH), but I need to make it run in at least three different frequencies to avoid interference with other bots. The car comes with the stock AM 27Mhz, and I'm looking to upgrade it to "something else" to make it fit the 3-frequency requirement.
So far in my research, those two "something else"s are
1) Buy a crystal transmitter/receiver pair and buy three crystal sets
2) Buy a 2.4GhZ radio that uses a spread spectrum

What I'm concerned about is the compatibility between the car and the controller. Will any radio brand work for the Himoto car? Is there such thing as a "generic" controller?

And finally, do you have any recommendations regarding price?

This is my high school's second year competing in the competition, and "Sumobots" was a new addition to this year. We don't have any experience in the realms of radio control, and since we're a public high school and have to build 8 more projects similar to this, we operate with a minimum-spending policy in mind.

<meta charset="utf-8" />Looking forward for some feedback,

Thank you very much!
Kevin
Old 03-22-2011, 10:40 AM
3.3 revo 3.3

Default RE: Switch to a 2.4GhZ radio w/ spread spectrum

doesnt that buggy come with a 2.4 ghz transmitter and receiver? [&:] because when i searched it, the description says

"Himoto electric truck kit comes with everything you need to get the truck up and running in no time (includes battery pack, charger and fully assembled kit). Charge the battery overnight for the first 3 charges and you'll have tons of rc fun! Now comes with improved 2.4 Ghz 3 Channel remote control transmitter and receiver"

and if you bought it used, this is the best 2.4ghz 3 channel radio you will get for cheap
Fly Sky FS-GT3B 2.4Ghz radio
[link]http://www.HobbyPartZ.com/79p-gt3b-carradio-lcd.html[/link]
its out of stock, though [&o]
Old 03-22-2011, 11:33 AM
Kevin_RHS

Default RE: Switch to a 2.4GhZ radio w/ spread spectrum

It does come with that radio. Ibought it new from rctoyhouse.com.
Maybe I should've clarified my question better:do ALL 2.4Ghz transmitter/receivers have something like a spread spectrum system?
Also, there are no restrictions on "channels"(which, as far as I'm concerned, are used to control different functions like forward/backward, left/right), so another 3-channel radio wouldn't help unless Iget to run it on 3 different frequencies.

Thanks though!
Kevin