Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Classic Cars & Trucks
Reload this Page >

Please help ID classic and older nitro cars...

Community
Search
Notices
RC Classic Cars & Trucks Have a classic that is at least 15 years or older? Discuss it here!

Please help ID classic and older nitro cars...

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2013, 03:29 PM
elksniper

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Please help ID classic and older nitro cars...

OK, so I picked up three boxes of cars and parts and a substantial track kit from someone. In addition to a hpi RTR RS4 3 nitro road car with a manual and a Wild Willy 2 with a manual, I received these two off off-road nitro cars. I am not a complete newby, but have been out of the game for a while and when I was in, it was electric. Don't know jack about nitro.

Here is the first. I did find out a few things about this first one once I found the Land Jump 4D manual. However, what confuses me is all the Land Jumps I'm finding online have a different shock mount system and single shocks. Otherwise, looks like a Kyosho Land Jump 4D, circa early 80's. Can anyone tell me what I'm looking at? Other than needing a radio/servos and new shocks (if I can find them) or some workbench jury rigging to re-spring the rebound and put new oil in the shocks, this thing looks like it was taken care of but has been sitting for likely over 15 years.

- Also found out it is somewhat valuable. Don't plan on selling it, but it is making me want to restore it. Anyone got a ballpark value? Saw one for sale on ebay in pieces for 250 and one online complete for $750. Seriously? What a score.
- Engine? It has a Thunder Tiger. Is this a .21 motor?
- Does this thing have a 2-gear gearbox or single speed? Reverse?
- Anyone know where I can get new suspension? The front is completely gone and the rear isn't much better. I'm willing to single shock this thing if it would work.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1093.JPG
Views:	479
Size:	368.1 KB
ID:	1921835   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1094.JPG
Views:	387
Size:	306.7 KB
ID:	1921836   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1095.JPG
Views:	326
Size:	287.0 KB
ID:	1921837   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1096.JPG
Views:	364
Size:	353.2 KB
ID:	1921838  
Old 09-17-2013, 03:31 PM
elksniper

Here is the second car. This one looks ready to go, other than an onboard battery pack, some TLC, greasing and new gas. I assume this is around late 90's/early 2000's judging by this guy having an early 2000's nitro road car. I can't find ANYTHING on this car. It does have a OS Max RG, .21 motor in it.

I'd like to replace the beat up body and I think that is about all it needs.

Any resources you guys know of for parts for either car? I have found sporadic Land Jump parts on ebay, but is there a definitive source for parts for either truck? I haven't broken them down to look inside at the important stuff, but they look to be close to ready to go. Anything else other than a thorough disassembly, greasing all points, cleaning the fuel tank and engine with some good carb cleaner and likely some wiring cleanup?
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1097.JPG
Views:	351
Size:	352.5 KB
ID:	1921839   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1098.JPG
Views:	392
Size:	368.1 KB
ID:	1921840   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1099.JPG
Views:	308
Size:	339.6 KB
ID:	1921841   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1100.JPG
Views:	310
Size:	335.3 KB
ID:	1921842  
Old 10-11-2013, 09:46 AM
whee-sconsin basher

Your first car appears to be a Kyosho LandJump like you are thinking. Otherwise it may be a Vanning, but I'm reasonably certain it isn't. As for the second one, I think that is a Duratrax model. I don't remember anyone else using phillips fasteners to that extent like they did back in the day. As for parts availability, good luck on the Kyosho. Ebay is where I'd start and then I'd just trust in the google-fu after that. Good luck with these classics!
Old 03-07-2014, 03:53 AM
DWT74

Old thread I know. The second rc is a Duratrax Nitro Quake. If I remember correctly, it was the same as a Duratrax Axis buggy, except with different shock towers for the body to clear the big tires it came with.