Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Combat
Reload this Page >

Mid-Atlantic Combat????

Community
Search
Notices
RC Combat Discuss rc combat planes, techniques and strategies here.

Mid-Atlantic Combat????

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2006, 10:22 PM
PE2fan
My Feedback: (8)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mid-Atlantic Combat????

I am newly interested in Combat and was hoping to find some contests my area. RCcombat.com does not list any contests on the east coast currently. Is this usual? Will any happen in the Mid Atlantic?

I am trying to get the guys in my club interested over the winter. I will be taking my gnat to the next meeting to show how easy it can be to get started. I hope it works out.

TIA
Micheal
Old 01-07-2006, 11:46 AM
Montague

Default RE: Mid-Atlantic Combat????

Hi,

You happen to live in a good spot for combat. In the last few years, we've flown around 4 contests a year at Freestate Aeromodelers. FSA has a good overflight area for combat.

The reason nothing is on the RCCombat site calendar is that the 2006 contests haven't been scheduled yet. But they will be. We usually get our contests scheduled in Feb or so, as does much of the country.

We have a rather activ group of combat pilots here, and you're welcome to come down. Several of us are also willing to help you get started if you want or need help or have questions.

The most popular class here is SSC. We also fly B class.
Old 01-07-2006, 11:50 AM
Montague

Oh, I forgot.

FSA website:
www.freestateaeromodelers.org

And I run (but don't really maintain) a small combat website for the area:
www.midatlanticcombat.com

We also have a mailing list for the area that I also run, if you are interested.

In past years there have also been contests in VA, PA, and NY, most 4hrs or less away. But there were fewer last year for various reasons.

I also travel out west quite a bit. It's only an easy 8hr drive from here to places like Muncie, IN for Nats, Ohio, or the Detroit area. I drive out friday, fly sat and sun, and drive back sunday night and am back at work on Monday. There is a lot of flying in that area if you're willing to travel to it.
Old 01-09-2006, 03:31 PM
JSGILL

Mr. Kirk Adams
Could you contact me about the Polk radio as soon as you can.
By e-mail [email protected] or phone at 973-351-9800
I leave for the AMA convention on the 11 and return on the 16 I then go to Pa. from the 19to the 22.

Regards
John S Gill
Sales Manager
Polk's Hobby
Old 01-10-2006, 01:27 AM
Montague

John,

Due to some network problems at the office today, and some random stuff at home, I just now saw your message. I sent you email, and I'll try to call tomorrow, hopefully before you head out of town.
Old 02-06-2006, 12:33 PM
Montague

We have our combat dates picked, though they aren't posted anywhere yet.

Sat, April 8th
Sat, May 13th
Sun, Jul 30th
Sun, Sep 24th

We aren't sure what classes we will run for sure, but SSC will be at all of them, at least 5 rounds. We might do one or two of them as SSC-only, which would mean ~8 rounds of SSC. If we fly a second class, it will be Open-B.

I also just finished cutting a pretty good pile of wing cores and I've started on some fuse blanks for my SSC design. I should have the kits available in the next couple of days. I do have a limited supply of wing spars right now. New ones are on order, but haven't arrived yet, and I do have a small stack of recycled spars.
Old 02-11-2006, 10:54 PM
boiler1

Kirk, I'm working the Toledo booth in April. I have conflicts with the next two dates and will probally go to the largest since they are all the same 8 hour drive. The one in September looks like a go for me. I think that is the one that I made last year which was 8 rounds of ssc.
Old 02-14-2006, 04:30 PM
Montague

The all-ssc contest last year was actually added late, as a 5th contest. But I'm currently looking to make the Sept contest all-SSC anyway. The first 3 will be 5 rounds SSC and 5 B class, the last will be 8 rounds SSC, I think
Old 02-15-2006, 12:10 AM
rcfury
My Feedback: (5)

Hey kirk, so there will be no open A this year? Guess ill change my Ripper to an SSC ship. I heard word from Chris Shepard that he's going to try to compete this year. So maybe Chris and I would roll up together. That would be a blast!!!
Old 02-15-2006, 09:00 AM
ctshepherd
My Feedback: (34)

Yep, I plan on doing more flying this year. In the middle of switching brands of radio. Will be picking up a 9303 and rx's. Undecided if I will campaign different aircraft this year or stay with what I have now.
Old 02-15-2006, 09:43 AM
Montague

Nathan, we flew SSC in 2005 and it really wasn't a problem. Most A class planes can fly in SSC with just a bigger wing, or in the case of the Lanier planes, just a prop change (if that).

Chris, Good to hear. Any chance of hosting something down that way?
Old 02-15-2006, 11:05 AM
ctshepherd

Quite possibly. If I rejoin the club. The club has two fields, one is in Stephens City and the other is in Bentonville. The Bentonville location is more rural and is actually on the old capped landfill. Things are starting to settle down a bit with the boys, but I'll need to get things finished around the house as we will be putting it up for sale in late spring/early summer. Cleaning out the garage a bit, sold my Venture 30 heli and probably will sell off the Top Flite Sea Fury. Any guys in your club interested in building wood kits?

Old 02-15-2006, 11:52 AM
Montague

Actually, lot of guys here are building kits. I'm sure you can find someone who wants the Sea Fury. I'd like it myself, but I've too many other projects right now.

Keep us posted about a possible contest. You know, if it's just a time thing, Earl and I can run the contest if you just want to arrange use of the field and then fly.
Old 02-15-2006, 03:39 PM
ctshepherd

It is a time thing. I can probably get the field without too much hassle. I just don't have the time to organize everything. Let me re-up my membership first and then I'll ask the higher ups about holding a contest or two....
Old 02-15-2006, 04:24 PM
rcfury

Its Chris!!!! haha... good to see ya back on RCU. You also had to turn to the dark side and switch to JR. Oh well my trusty 9C super synth is my poison. When all things are settled in with you, shoot me an e-mail and maybe we could catch a round or two.

Well Kirk thats good, anyway im going to just take off my mousse can muffler and switch to the famous MAS blue prop. I do need to figure out how to fix this hole i have in my engine near the exhaust outlet. 2 stoke goo is just going everwhere!!!
Old 02-15-2006, 04:38 PM
Montague

You have a hole in your engine? Is it just a loose fit between the muffler and case, or something larger? If it's just a loose fit, try using some RTV to make a gasket for the muffler. If it's something like a chip then you should be able to fill it with JB Weld. Just make sure to clean it off really well first.
Old 02-15-2006, 06:19 PM
rcfury

I dont know if you would call it an hole or a chip on the exhaust outlet. Maybe this picture could clear it up. So far ive tried RTV w/ paper gasket, and just RTV. The nitro just breaks the RTV down when running. Maybe JB weld could fix it for a longer period of time.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Xv63549.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	25.4 KB
ID:	408817   Click image for larger version

Name:	Je10875.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	19.9 KB
ID:	408818  
Old 02-15-2006, 06:26 PM
Montague

Yeah, looks like a job for JB Weld. Just make sure to get all the oil and such off first. I've used JB weld to seal up pressure tap holes on mufflers to move the tap to another location.
Old 02-16-2006, 08:50 AM
ctshepherd

ORIGINAL: rcfury

I dont know if you would call it an hole or a chip on the exhaust outlet. Maybe this picture could clear it up. So far ive tried RTV w/ paper gasket, and just RTV. The nitro just breaks the RTV down when running. Maybe JB weld could fix it for a longer period of time.
Now how did that little chippy get there? Looks like maybe "installer error" when putting those long ***** nuts and bolts on? JB should take care of it.
Old 02-16-2006, 08:54 AM
ctshepherd

ORIGINAL: rcfury

Its Chris!!!! haha... good to see ya back on RCU. You also had to turn to the dark side and switch to JR. Oh well my trusty 9C super synth is my poison. When all things are settled in with you, shoot me an e-mail and maybe we could catch a round or two.
I've been lurking... just not posting. I sold the 8 super the other day here on RCU. Working on getting a 9303 off of ebay.

Well Kirk thats good, anyway im going to just take off my mousse can muffler and switch to the famous MAS blue prop. I do need to figure out how to fix this hole i have in my engine near the exhaust outlet. 2 stoke goo is just going everwhere!!!
we'll be very quiet about his "$65" engine that he has strapped on that thing. I don't have an issue as long as it is turning the required 17.5k.
Old 02-16-2006, 09:54 AM
Montague

That looks like a Megatech to me, and as always, I don't look any closer, as long at the RPM is good.

And yeah, that chip looked a lot like a drill bit got away from someone when doing mounting holes
Old 02-16-2006, 10:39 AM
ctshepherd

ORIGINAL: Montague

That looks like a Megatech to me, and as always, I don't look any closer, as long at the RPM is good.

And yeah, that chip looked a lot like a drill bit got away from someone when doing mounting holes
I would say to get some glasses, but you don't need any more of an advantage. We'll leave his engine alone. [:-]
Old 02-16-2006, 10:45 AM
Montague

Well, I'm still running my Magnum .15's. But for the local guys, no harm no foul. If it was Nats or something, that'd be different.
Old 02-16-2006, 10:50 AM
rcfury

Yeah that chip was all my fault. Actually the head of the screw didn't make it past the exhaust outlet when i was trying to take the motor off and then it happend. chris you were 100% correct.

And actually it wont be all that bad because you'd have my streamer off my tail so fast because i just straight up S**K!!!
Old 02-16-2006, 10:55 AM
Montague

Heh, you just need to practice, and get to a few more contests this year.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.