Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Combat
Reload this Page >

New England Area combat Schedules!

Community
Search
Notices
RC Combat Discuss rc combat planes, techniques and strategies here.

New England Area combat Schedules!

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2007, 10:41 AM
Bad-n-Blue

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New England Area combat Schedules!

Hi Mont.

Haven't seen you since Salem Ct combats some years back anything going on around me.
Looking to jump back in the ranks....or even some non sactioned fun! still have a fleet of 1/12s and some open B's.
Honestly I jumped out with all the continuall rule changes, we fly it so little up here that it just didn't make sense to build new birds evey season for just 1 or 2 events. Wondering if the rules changes have calmed down so we can use the same builds from season to season.

From
Scott Herritt
Rhode Islands best r/c combat Pilot
(I,m the only one I know of)!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ca82493.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	37.6 KB
ID:	706336  
Old 06-18-2007, 11:03 AM
Montague

Default RE: New England Area combat Schedules!

As far as I know, there aren't any contests up that way besides club-rules stuff and probably the gremlin stuff, but I'm not in contact with anyone flying combat up there. I wish there was more going on up that way, since my father lives in Middletown, and it's fun to come up there for a visit and hit a contest.

As for rules changes, SSC has been pretty stable, the biggest thing recently was the electrics, and there is always someone making noise about this or that. But I've been flying the same SSC planes for 4 years now, maybe more. Heck, the fuses I'm taking to Nats this year are the same fuses I built 4 years ago, I haven't broken any beyond easy repair. Some of my wings have been repaired a bunch of times, but I do have 3 year old wings still in service.

2610 scale is pretty much dead except in a pocket in Idaho (I think?) and Nats. 2548 is just about as dead except in Texas. I think in the next few years you will see a fusion of those two classes which will hopeuflly result in a single class that stays stable for quite a while. Look for "scale to 48 inch wingspans" but scale judging closer to 2610 in nature, and maybe with options for two power systems, but at least the same more stable airframe design.

B class hasn't changed at all in years. Some people are trying to make a limited-power version, but it's not really popular outside of MI and Ohio as far as I can tell. But at least you can use the same airframe for OpenB and LimitedB. (20 rounds of combat on the same airframes at Nats this year. Yow!)

I'd love someone to throw a contest up there. Heck, I'd help run it if somoene had a field and wanted a contest.
Old 06-18-2007, 08:22 PM
erik58
My Feedback: (4)

been looking for some club meets too.[&o] the swamp flyers in north haven ct had one last year run what ya brung .60 size and down any kind of plane. it was a blast! hope they have it again.keep you posted Erik
Old 06-18-2007, 09:54 PM
yankee samurai
My Feedback: (175)

Kirk,
We are the hot bed of 2610. I think we are the only ones flying it to date. We love scale for what it's worth.
Old 06-19-2007, 07:49 AM
Montague

Randy, yeah, it's cool that you guys are flying it. I understand that you've kept to the smaller fighters there though? I don't know if that matters, but some planes do seem to get some people bent all out of shape.
Old 06-19-2007, 05:19 PM
Demon

How to have contests in your area 101:

1) Get your club to set aside a date for the field to be used for a contest.
2) Get some club members or even general public folks to help with judging.
3) Get a club CD to sanction it through the AMA.
4) Buy some streamers, string, clip boards and a couple cheap hard hats. Don't worry, you'll get this money back from entry fees.
5) ADVERTISE, ADVERTISE, ADVERTISE.

The only way to have contests is to host & promote them. Yes, you can fly in your own contest provided you have others willing to be Line Marshall while you're up.

Been there, done that. You're turn!
D
Old 06-20-2007, 10:29 AM
yankee samurai

Kirk,
No issues with smaller planes, most fly 2610 stuff but occassionly a 2105 bird will show up. We're here to have fun.
Old 06-20-2007, 10:50 AM
Montague

I think you mis-understood. No one has a problem is someone wants to fly a smaller plane. It's usually the 55+" wingspan planes that bother people. There are a lot of designs that in 2610 make planes like Mustangs, Corsairs, etc seriously outclassed. And that bothers some people. 2548 is an (over) reaction to that.
Old 06-20-2007, 09:58 PM
yankee samurai

Kirk,
I'll second that. Over reaction.
Old 06-21-2007, 08:07 AM
Montague

Heh. I do think that eventually the two classes will merge in to a new one. I'm hoping it takes the best of both, and works for most guys out there. It won't work for everyone, nothing really will, but I think it's possible. There are already rules proposals in for the current AMA rules change cycle.

You can submit your rules change proposals anytime between now and September.