Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Combat
Reload this Page >

Pica 1/12th Scale P-51

Community
Search
Notices
RC Combat Discuss rc combat planes, techniques and strategies here.

Pica 1/12th Scale P-51

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2007, 10:23 AM
bobman06

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pica 1/12th Scale P-51

I am currently building the Pica 1/12th P-51. So far the kit is building well. Instead of using their idea of using covering to hinge the rudder and elevator, I just made a couple of hinges...in the long run I believe it will work better. I did have a couple questions though about power and gear and what not.

I was going to try and use an old OS .25 my dad has because it would be free. I dont know if it will fit so we will see about that. If it doesnt fit, I was going to either use a .15 or .10...which do you think is better? Is the .10 plenty of power?

Also, I was debating whether or not to put the gear on. They are kind of skimpy and I read somewhere that they are in the wrong place and it looks dorky in the air. But I was worried that if I went without gear that I would end up ripping the belly scoop off when landing. Is that going to be a problem?

Finally I will try and post some pictures just to give you guys a peek at how the building is going and what it looks like. Thanks!

Bobby
Old 06-21-2007, 10:38 AM
Montague

Default RE: Pica 1/12th Scale P-51

You won't have any problem ripping off the belly if you land on grass and allow the plane to slow down.

A .10 might fly the plane, but not well. A .15 would work. A .25 would be a lot of power, depending on what .25 it is. If it's an OS .25FX or SX, it would be a ton of power. If it's an LA or FP, then it would be a good match to that airframe.
Old 06-21-2007, 01:41 PM
bobman06

The engine is an OS .25 fp
Old 06-21-2007, 04:04 PM
Montague

That will fly it fine, go with that engine. The FPs are also lighter than most .25 size engines since they are bushed rather than BB
Old 06-25-2007, 09:47 PM
WMB
My Feedback: (1)

I used a Magnum .15 on mine. I liked the APC 7x6 over the 8x4. I mounted the engine so the muffler was under the fuse. Used a 4oz tank, but switched to a 3oz when the engine was assigned new duty. The 3oz gave more consistent run from full to empty. I built mine with landing gear, but I would eliminate gear if doing over. Hitec HS55 for throttle and each aileron, HS81 for rudder and elevator.
Take offs easy, landings- fast. I stalled mine in a fast bank and yank turn, it snapped and went in hard.
It was fun while it lasted! MikeB