Community
Search
Notices
RC Drag Racing For all you straight line enthusiasts. Discuss all aspects of rc drag racing here!

is it possible to.......

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2007, 02:40 PM
Igotntc3andrevo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default is it possible to.......

Hey do you all think that it will be possible to change a team walbern nitro dragster over to electric? I like the rigidity of the nitro dragsters as oppose to the electric built ones.
Old 11-20-2007, 03:09 PM
absolutemayhem

Default RE: is it possible to.......

im sure its possible, you just have to make the mounts for it, and figure out the gearing. but those electric chassis are plenty tough, and much lighter.
Old 11-20-2007, 05:30 PM
ahr43

ORIGINAL: Igotntc3andrevo

Hey do you all think that it will be possible to change a team walbern nitro dragster over to electric? I like the rigidity of the nitro dragsters as oppose to the electric built ones.
The rear clip on my R2E is mostly converted over to Team Walbern from OEM (Original Equipment Manufacturer). I use Team Walbern nitro parts - because they fit my OEM electric chassis. You probably have most of what I bought already on your chassis. Not sure why you want to stay with double reduction (spur/pinion - pulley/belt) over a single reduction (spur/pinion) electric setup. Unless you're like me, and that's what you've got and you have to make it work. I race double reduction; but it's not for everybody. My biggest challenge was modifying an electric motor mount that would not flex, resulting in separation/misalignment b/w spur/pinion. After I broke the code on that, the car began to perfom reliably. That was for a 2.5 car. Now that I've gone TFE, I'll have to re-engineer that piece again. The downside is I still have too much rotating weight-that kills a cars performace in RC drag racing.

Bottom line. If you are going to race a heads-up class, like Top Fuel Electric or Extreme, don't try to convert. Go with an electric chassis instead. If you are going to race an Index class or Bracket class, then a double reduction converted chassis can work for you. My 2cents. Hope this helps.

AC
Old 11-22-2007, 04:19 AM
Igotntc3andrevo

hey felllas thanks for the reply ok well i guess i will be going to a electric chassis i just like the look of the nitro the electric looks so plain to me. .......do you think that a team walbern prostock electric chassis coupled with a mamba max 7700 kv motor would be over kill (do back flips the second the trigger is pulled? and can i use nitro wheels on the electric dragsters i like the chrome star rather than the black rim.
Old 11-22-2007, 08:34 AM
ahr43

ORIGINAL: Igotntc3andrevo

hey felllas thanks for the reply ok well i guess i will be going to a electric chassis i just like the look of the nitro the electric looks so plain to me. .......do you think that a team walbern prostock electric chassis coupled with a mamba max 7700 kv motor would be over kill (do back flips the second the trigger is pulled? and can i use nitro wheels on the electric dragsters i like the chrome star rather than the black rim.
Happy to help. Oh! and Happy Thanksgiving.

The R2E uses 3 1/4" foam rears, but the double reduction gearing allows me to run the tall nitro tires. Not sure, but I'm thinking 2 5/8" foam is the largest diam that'll be easy to gear to on a single reduction gear chassis like the Walbern PS. At least that's the daim Team Walbern offers on its electric TF chassis, and 2 5/8" is what I'm running on the R3E-1 Bracket Camaro. Be sure to inquire if the larger tire set will fit completely under the body. Rules stipulate that for doorslammers running any other class except bracket.

Here's the link to Walbern's custom wheels: [link]http://www.teamwalbern.com/specialwheelstires.html[/link]

They "look like" 3 1/4" diam. Truing the foam down to 2 5/8" would be an option to ask the manufacturer about. Call Team Walbern and tell Paul what you want to do. He'll make the recommendations that will help you decide. Not sure if GMS offers a custom wheel. Don't see one in the online catalog.

Good luck.

AC
Old 11-23-2007, 02:57 PM
Igotntc3andrevo

hey thanks alot hope you had a happy one also.