Community
Search
Notices
RC Drifting Discuss all aspects of rc drifting here!

ESC: Not good for drift..

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2007, 04:49 AM
Auslide
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ESC: Not good for drift..

Well.. As Every one has by now known there is a Certain ESC that is terrible for Drift...

Why are they So Bad for Drift???

For Offroad and Onroad Racing these ESC's would be Great but for Drift they are just not responsive enough...

I recently Went for a Slide with my TT01 with the LRP AI Runner PLUS Reverse 15T esc..
I Was Using a LRP GT3 19x2T, Poly pipe Tyres and with a RCLINE ESC this Set up is Awesome to Drift...

With the LRP it was terrible..

First of All, The ESC wanted to go into reverse, so I Reversed the Switch on my Controller, no Big deal..

The AI relies on throttle inputs on your controller to tell if it has to go forwards or Backwards.. the constant on and off throttle applications used in RC Drift throw this ESC into utter confusion..
So I Just basically free Styled it.. then pulled the car in to cool down the ESC and the Motor as it was going for around 20 mins on a 3000mah Bat with no sign of Current Drop...

So I Re-connected the Battery again and this time the ESC decided to Go Backwards again... So I had to Re- switch my Controller from Reverse to forward...
This time... the ESC didnt let the motor rev past 10000 rpm... Like it had a flat Battery but the Battery was still all good..
Brought the Car back and Disconnected and re-connected the Battery again.... This time, it went Backwards again!!!
So I Repeated the steps before... No Big deal but damn annoying...

The ESC seems to Not let the Motor reach peak RPM and it is Very slow to respond to rapid throttle commands..

I Use this ESC for my Offroader and it is Brilliant.. it is great when you are Holding the Throttle flat out for a Long time but it just cannot react quick enough for Drift...

Old 01-27-2007, 07:33 AM
FireStriker

Default RE: ESC: Not good for drift..

Thnx 4 da info,, Magnet
Old 01-27-2007, 08:30 AM
GraTou
My Feedback: (6)

Funny, I've been using LRP ever since I heard of them way back when and I've never had a problem with their ESC's nor their motors.
Seems like you had a bad one.
Old 01-27-2007, 08:42 AM
FireStriker

Meen ether never a prob
Old 01-27-2007, 11:07 AM
dorkymk3

im also running a LRP too and not have one bad thing about it. its great!
Old 01-27-2007, 11:54 AM
running_gag

Well I'm running a novak and it works great so LRP must suck. Just playing. Not enough to do today and I just drank a red bull. ok I'm done post jacking now.
Old 01-27-2007, 04:52 PM
Auslide
Banned

I Have 3 of these ESC's (Bought Two HPI Sprint2's and they are the Standard ESC) and 1 Was Given to me as the Owner Hated it and Since I shove my Offroader through Rivers and all that a Water Proof ESC comes in Handy..

All Three Do the Same Job..
They Lack the Responsiveness a Non AI ESC has..
LRP make Great Motors and Have never had an issue with their Motors (Where as other people have had them burn up inside 20 mins)
But these Particular AI ESC's just cant cut the Mustard.
The Next Series up from these ones are much better but these Micro sized ones just aren't Responsive enough..
Old 01-27-2007, 06:59 PM
fl0PPsy

That ESC looks very similar to the Nosram Hawk Power Reverse and it has the same kind of issues sometimes. I have to disconnect the battery, wait 2-3mins and then reconnect it to reset the ESC and make it happy.

Give me the cheap RCLine No-Limit ESCs any day
Old 01-27-2007, 07:27 PM
Auslide
Banned

ORIGINAL: fl0PPsy

That ESC looks very similar to the Nosram Hawk Power Reverse and it has the same kind of issues sometimes. I have to disconnect the battery, wait 2-3mins and then reconnect it to reset the ESC and make it happy.

Give me the cheap RCLine No-Limit ESCs any day

Nosram and LRP are the same, just depends where your from.. ones Red and ones Blue..

Old 01-28-2007, 01:56 AM
fl0PPsy

Hmmm think I'll get rid of the Nosram ESC and put another RCLine No-Limit in.
Old 01-28-2007, 07:18 AM
Auslide
Banned

Today at my Drift Teaching Session another Students AI ESC Packed it in, it started with the same Problems as mine Had, the Constant Switching, then it just started the Cutting out for no reason thing...

so I have advised him to upgrade to the RC Line... ASAP..
Old 01-28-2007, 10:03 AM
Spartan-Drifter
Banned

is that the nly bad LRP magnat? cuz Im plannin on puttin one in my future chassis
Old 02-05-2007, 09:57 PM
killerphish

Magnat.... I totally agree with your assessment of the LRP esc.

My TC4 came stock with one (they all do I guess). I tested my brother's LRP on his TC4 too. Same problems you had with the esc/motor wanting to go in reverse when you switch it on. Had to switch controllers to reverse, but yeah no big deal.

The big drawback is the reverse/braking mode. With the LRP, there is no way to brake (just stopping the wheels). When you're going forward and try to BRAKE by reversing the throttle, the wheels spin in reverse - which is not the same as braking. In drifting, this messes you up big time. Maybe there's a way to change this (setting?) on the LRP, but I haven't found it. Or maybe there's another LRP esc that brakes properly, but not the stock TC4 LRP esc.

I switched to the Novak XRS Sport ESC for $49. Great braking action! It stops the wheels, not spins them backwards. Then, if you REALLY want to go backwards, just put the throttle in reverse again and off you go.

Thanks for the tip.
Old 02-06-2007, 05:10 PM
bte214

I had no problems with my LRP except that it doesn't have a setup or brake, but that is how its made. Otherwise it performs as it should.
Old 02-06-2007, 08:27 PM
killerphish

ORIGINAL: bte214

I had no problems with my LRP except that it doesn't have a setup or brake, but that is how its made. Otherwise it performs as it should.
Yes it probably performs as it it should, but it was not built for drifting, which was the topic of this thread. It's probably great for grip racing, monster trucks, or other applications.

The 2 that I've tested don't even perform as they should - going in reverse when switched on, glitches/drops, etc. Magnat also mentioned poor battery/motor management.