Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

mad rat 3s brushed motor question

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2014, 02:00 PM
LENYLOW

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default mad rat 3s brushed motor question

Hi all i have just got a 2nd hand ansmann mad rat it has a brushed esc but no motor. The esc can run 2-3 cell lipo and has a motor limit of 12turn for 2s and 18turn for 3s. Just wanted to no what kind of speed i would get with the above options which one would be fastest?
Old 05-11-2014, 10:08 AM
EXT2Rob
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That's a good question, Leny. One that I do not have the answer to, but am very interested, myself. I would guess that they'd be close. With the 18turn, you could probably gear it up a tooth on the pinion, and with the higher voltage, that combo might be faster. But I'm just trying to logic it out. I could be wrong, but that's my feeling. I'm sure someone else with more extensive experience will come along with a more definitive answer. Didn't want ya to think we're ignoring you.
Old 05-11-2014, 01:24 PM
LENYLOW

Thanks for the reply, i no that with brushless set ups 3s on a lower kv motor will be faster than 2s on a high kv motor so i guess this would be the same on brushed set ups. Would be good if someone had an idea of what sort of speeds i would get with the 18turn on 3s.
Old 05-13-2014, 06:45 AM
Northern Mike

I never liked the older (brushed) method of measuring turns over the newer kV units. Way too bard to calculate anything on paper before going into the real world.
To give a solid answer to this would be really hard and maybe even impossible.

Toss into the mix can size. Traxxas runs a 550 can for their 12t brushed motor. That on 2s could support a taller gearing which could make it faster then a 540 can 18t on 3s.

Toss into the mix that unlike brushless, taller gears makes the truck slower to accelerate. So if you are looking at top end speed, you will suffer getting there.