Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

Official Rustler Thread

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2011, 05:30 PM
thehuntingterminator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Official Rustler Thread

what kind of connector does that Onyx battery have on it? and what kind is on the charger? you can charge that battery at 1,2, or 4 amps, but 4 amps will be the fastest and shouldn't be overly-hard on the battery, so i would go with that. since neither the stock or Onyx batteries are lipos, i would say go ahead and just leave your charger on 4 amps to charge both. they should be fine. good luck. by the way i have a youtube channel all about RC, but alot of it is on my Rustler. here's a link: TheHuntingTerminator
ORIGINAL: Sportsdude225

Thanks! So I think I'm gonna go with the Rustler XL-5 and the 8.4V 4200mAh battery from tower hobbies. The VXLis a little pricey for my beginner stage... But I'm thinking that if I use both the charger that comes with the truck and the charger I have at home, as well as the battery it comes with and the one I will buy seperately, I will get some good time out of it. The battery Iam looking at says that if I'm using it with an Onyx charger - which Iam - it will need a female connector to molex male connector adapter?? Do I need that too? It seems like if the charger and battery are the same brand, it shouldn't need an adapter? Also, is there anything I need to watch out for as far as switching between two batteries? Like watch the heat on them or whatever? Thank you!

- Also, my charger has options for 1, 2, and 4 amps.. Which should Iuse for the 8.4V 4200mAh battery? what about for the other battery that comes with the truck?
Old 10-23-2011, 05:51 PM
Sportsdude225

I know the Battery has a traxxas connector, butI'm not sure about the charger. It justsays "For batteries using the traxxas type connector, order the adapter" so Ibetter go ahead and get that... Will it still charge just as well? Or will the adapter take away some of the power? And that youtube channel sounds great! I'll be sure tocheck it out tonight!Thanks!

Old 10-23-2011, 06:14 PM
thehuntingterminator

technically any extra connector like an adapter will suck power, but for something like this i wouldnt worry abou it. and thanks for checking out my channel! the main vid on my channel is of me going off my roof! pretty insane!

I know the Battery has a traxxas connector, butI'm not sure about the charger. It justsays "For batteries using the traxxas type connector, order the adapter" so Ibetter go ahead and get that... Will it still charge just as well? Or will the adapter take away some of the power? And that youtube channel sounds great! I'll be sure tocheck it out tonight!Thanks!

Old 10-23-2011, 06:39 PM
Sportsdude225

Thats Insane! I will be sure to watch that one! And do you suggest I look at a different battery/charger combo? Or will that one work fine?
Old 10-23-2011, 08:32 PM
J0EC00L
My Feedback: (3)

Sportsdude,

In terms of the mini e-revo having durability issues, I will explain what issues people have and why. I have owned multiple MERVs (mini e revos) and they are extremely tough for their size and wicked fast! The MERVs in their stock format are a blast and will last forever on stock batts. Introduce lipos to your vxl system and now you're entering a world of speed and thrashing. The merv can take quite a few hits, but can and will break in typical areas. Arms tend to break after a few high speed crashes. The Pinion shaft that feeds into the front and rear differentials has a tendency to wear down on the gears causing easier stripping. This is in almost direct relation to the wheelie popping fun people get with lipos and the merv. Infact, everyone wants to emulate the cool back flip theyve seen on videos that the merv is capable of. Show me any set of gears that can handle that much abuse without wearing down. The hubs also have a tendency to wear down. The merv hypothetically should be as tough as its twin larger brother, but unfortunately due to size and limitations on the plastic components, it is weaker. Have no fear though, with some RPM upgrades and Tbone bumpers, the Merv will last forever and be a blast... Plus, it can get around a track rather quickly and it fits inside a shoe box.

You can pick up a good used merv, probably with half or more of the necessary upgrades for around 200 on eBay.

On the flip side, I have really enjoyed my rustler for the short time and it is extremely fast and durable. I was able to get it and another roller for about 250 shipped. You don't necessarily have to buy brand new to get a good rc.

If you're on a budget... Look for something used

Joe
Old 10-24-2011, 10:29 AM
SmOkEeJay

I have an Onyx 100 and it only has a molex connecter. Just get the adapter for the traxxas connector and you will be fine. I only used my Onyx 100 for a few months before I bought a Thunder AC680 charger. It does pretty much any type of battery and also balances lipo's.
Old 10-24-2011, 12:41 PM
Jackedman
My Feedback: (2)

The onyx chargers are a good line of chargers. I had one but sold it cause I already had a charger bit I did use it a few times and it wasn't bad
Old 10-24-2011, 12:55 PM
Sportsdude225

Thanks for all the help guys! I have no idea what to do at this point... I don't have a big back yard so I plan on just making some snow jumps in my front. It would be awesome if I could get a car to jump my driveway and land on the other side.  The main reason I'm concerned about the durability is because I am betting it will take quite a few hits on my driveway or on the grass on the other side and I am not very good at upgrading parts...  I am considering the Rustler XL-5, Rustler VXL, and the Mini E-Revo VXL all as possibilites right now.. Also, I want to get a good battery for it and I understand that a lipo would probably be best if I buy a VXL. I'm not very good with this stuff and all I have ever used is a NiMH.  I have that Onyx 100 charger and I will probably get a truck that comes with one too so I will have 2 different chargers.  If I get a lipo battery, I am guessing I will need to buy yet another charger... Any suggestions on what car, battery, and charger would be right for me? I will buy from either a local hobby shop or Tower Hobbies online but I bet it will be Tower Hobbies.  Thanks!
Old 10-24-2011, 10:56 PM
J0EC00L

Sports dude,

First, you don't have to go lipo to be fast. You can run nihm batteries in series, doubling your volts and you'll be amazed at the speeds u achieve. The only downside is the nihm batts will not push the max volts the duration of the amps charge, something lipos are famous for. You'll get more burst initially with the nihms, but you'll lose power as batt weakens.

Now, since you plan on making a snow basher, I recommend a larger scale. Cold weather is not good for any plastics, since things tend to snap or break easier due to integrity of the plastic. Think of it like this... It's a lot easier to break a piece of ice in half than it is to break water in half

Without the rpm parts on a Merv, it will have durability issues in the cold weather.

Think slash or stampede and do not gear it for speed runs but in fact, gear it for low end bashing in the snow.

Joe
Old 10-25-2011, 02:35 AM
Muskokarc

Also for a snow basher there are front skis that you can get.  From what I have heard they do ok, with some tweaking they should be lots of fun.
Old 10-25-2011, 04:53 AM
TCA999
My Feedback: (32)

Toss all Integy parts you have(besides a battery hold down bar). Integy aluminum is not hardened like STRC or FLMand you can bend it with a pair of pliers.Upgrade to aluminum shocks and have the same for your knuckles. Steel yolks and good shock towers and bulk.
Old 10-25-2011, 05:20 AM
J0EC00L

TCA999,

I assume your post was referencing my question about all the bling on my rustler? I am in the process of removing the integy parts and going with RPM suspension components.

I have always been against Integy... some people go for that colorful bling, while i like functionality and durability.

I am selling my other rustler, basically it comes with everything you need except a battery and an ESC, i'll probably put the integy and carbon graphite arms on the other one to help it sell on cheapbay.

Joe
Old 10-25-2011, 05:29 AM
Sportsdude225

Thanks.  The main reason that I wanted the Rustler or the Mini E-Revo over the Slash or Stampede is because, first, I like the look of them a lot more, and also the Rustler VXL and Mini E-Revo VXL are both a lot cheaper than the Slash or Stampede VXL.  The MERV is only about $285, and the Rustler is around $320, but the Slash VXL is $375 and the Stampede $400.  Would the Rustler work alright for what I want if I put an RPM front bumper on it?  Also, I think I will go NiMH and try to use my Onyx 100 charger.  What NiMH battery is best for fast charging and long runtime but also to make the truck faster and will work with the truck?  Will I need a molex to traxxas adapter for that?  And can I just run one battery until it's dead and then stick in a new one?  Or will that hurt it?  Sorry about all the questions! And thank you!
Old 10-25-2011, 05:59 AM
TCA999

Another good upgrade is the Proline Protrac kit. Ihave it on my Rustler and love it...
Old 10-25-2011, 07:26 AM
J0EC00L

Sportsdude,

first and foremost - with any battery, you never want to drain it dead!!! that can damage cells and in a lipo could cause devasting damage. Generally, with Nimh's once the car is sluggish (you will know) you need to go ahead and stop and let it cool and then re-charge. With lipos, without lipo voltage detection, you will need to stop immediately when you see the car's performance degrade. (something you will also know). Most brushless systems nowadays come with lipo voltage protection built in, which detects the drop off in the lipo voltage production from the battery and immediately degrade power to 50% to protect the cells from over discharging.

You are much safer running a nimh battery low than a lipo - just keep that in mind.

As for a MERV, the T-Bone bumper is actually better than the RPM bumper IMHO. I have hit a curb doing full speed with a T-Bone bumper on my merv and it survived, only breaking the steering linkage after the front bumper absorbed 60 to 80% of the blunt impact. T-bone bumpers are also 100% made in USA and carry a lifetime warranty, no questions asked!

If you want a rustler, I am actually selling a rustler VXL with everything but an ESC. Comes with all 4 talon wheels (think stampede) and the front ribbed tires. All you will need is a VXL ESC, battery and its ready to run! The radio system is the 27mhz, but will still do you just fine for your type of driving - some still prefer the older radio over 2.4 Ghz.

We can discuss via PM's if you are interested, i can basically install the Integy parts you see on my rustler a page back if you like that stuff, or you can get it with the stock components - though, i already mounted the Blue Alum front bumper.

Joe
Old 10-25-2011, 07:34 AM
TCA999

Heck, Ihave a 2.4ghz on my Rustler and looking for a 27mhz...I prefer the am over 2.4
Old 10-25-2011, 09:51 AM
J0EC00L

Good catch TCA... FM radio ha ha ha ha, what was i thinking

I have the 27MhZ radio system. not the FM radio. lol
Old 10-25-2011, 12:55 PM
Sportsdude225

Thanks. Sorry but I want a Rustler that is fully loaded. ESCs are expensive and knowing myself, I would screw it up trying to install it. Plus, I still don't know if I'm gonna get a VXL..I might get the Rustler XL-5 or the MERV. I will be sure not to run my battery until its dead! Thanks for telling me that! Quick question on batteries. I have only used a Duratrax Onyx battery so that's the only brand I know about and that's the brand I am looking at right now. I want the best possible NiMH battery though for my truck, so I am looking at an 8.4V right now. I'm guessing a 5000mAh battery would be best, but would that work with my charger and car? If I get a 4200 or 5000mAh battery, do I charge it with the charger set to 4 amps? I guess that charges the fastest but will that damage it? And one more thing.. I am confused about how each charger, battery, and car has a different connector. I see that Duratrax Onyx batteries have a traxxas connector and my Duratrax Onyx 100 charger has a molex connector. Will my battery even be compatable with my car then? I know I will have to buy an adapter to be able to charge the battery with my charger, but will I also need it to connect the battery to my car? Thanks!

Also, I was told to lower the gears and run it in snow bashing mode... How do you do that? I love tinkering around with my old Duratrax Evader EXT and it would be really cool to upgrade some parts.. I'm just not great at it yet. I will get better Oh and can Itake the battery that comes with the truck and run it then take it out and put in the new battery that has higher mAh and run it and it will work fine? Thanks
Old 10-26-2011, 03:00 AM
Muskokarc

For a good battery pack would go with ProTeck from Amain.  My friend has gotten a few from them before switching to lipo.  They run great and last long to.  

Yes the fun part of the hobby is the tinkering with parts and settings.

Old 10-26-2011, 04:11 AM
thehuntingterminator

yes, a 5000mah battery will worlk with the charger and the car. yes, the 5000mah battery is able to be charged at 4 amps it will just take a little longer. if you find that your car/battery/charger have different connectors, you will just need to pick up an adapter for about $3. don't sweat over it.

Thanks. Sorry but I want a Rustler that is fully loaded. ESCs are expensive and knowing myself, I would screw it up trying to install it. Plus, I still don't know if I'm gonna get a VXL..I might get the Rustler XL-5 or the MERV. I will be sure not to run my battery until its dead! Thanks for telling me that! Quick question on batteries. I have only used a Duratrax Onyx battery so that's the only brand I know about and that's the brand I am looking at right now. I want the best possible NiMH battery though for my truck, so I am looking at an 8.4V right now. I'm guessing a 5000mAh battery would be best, but would that work with my charger and car? If I get a 4200 or 5000mAh battery, do I charge it with the charger set to 4 amps? I guess that charges the fastest but will that damage it? And one more thing.. I am confused about how each charger, battery, and car has a different connector. I see that Duratrax Onyx batteries have a traxxas connector and my Duratrax Onyx 100 charger has a molex connector. Will my battery even be compatable with my car then? I know I will have to buy an adapter to be able to charge the battery with my charger, but will I also need it to connect the battery to my car? Thanks!

Also, I was told to lower the gears and run it in snow bashing mode... How do you do that? I love tinkering around with my old Duratrax Evader EXT and it would be really cool to upgrade some parts.. I'm just not great at it yet. I will get better Oh and can Itake the battery that comes with the truck and run it then take it out and put in the new battery that has higher mAh and run it and it will work fine? Thanks
Old 10-26-2011, 05:27 AM
Sportsdude225

Thanks to all.  So I do like the look and price of those Protek battery packs from amain.  I will probably get one of those and buy an adapter so I can use my old charger.  Quick question.  I know that the rustler vxl comes with an optional 28 tooth pinion gear.  Should I install that or will the stock pinion gear work better for my needs?  And I would also like to upgrade a few parts... I really like the look of the blue rpm and aluminum parts.  I am already planning on buying a blue rpm front bumper, but what else do you think I need?
Old 10-26-2011, 05:56 AM
Jackedman
My Feedback: (2)

You guys charge te nimh at 4 amps I charge them at 5 amps. The nimh batteries get warm when charging and that's good them means the batteries are charging right. Now if that happens with a nicad that's bad. With a lipo unplug it right away and put it in something safe just in case
Old 10-26-2011, 10:58 AM
J0EC00L

For what you will do with the Rustler, the stock Pinion will be plenty in the snow and back yard. Stay away from high speed pinions (larger pinions) if you plan on going offroad with the RC or you'll burn out your motor or ESC...

Now, that said, you are looking to get the Brushed version anyways with nimh batteries, so don't expect fast speeds in the first place.

Brushless is a differnt story, especially with lipos. You will probably be at half the speed of a brushless with lipos if you stick with the brushed version on nimhs.

Still, not a big factor when you plan on bashing and running through the snow. In fact, depending on the gearing and such, you'll do better with less worry about burning up the motor and esc if you stick to the stock setup. Less speed = less parts breaking for the most part.

Joe
Old 10-26-2011, 11:45 AM
Sportsdude225

So I am either going to get the Rustler XL-5 or the VXL... Not sure which yet... But either one, I am planning on buying a Protek 7 cell 4600 mAh NiMH battery from amain.  I also want to upgrade some stuff.  Is amainhobbies.com the best place to buy upgrade parts?  It seems like they have a wide selection and are fairly priced.  Also, I am planning on sticking with all traxxas trucks from now on because of the waterproof feature.  My Onyx 100 charger is a few years old now and has been through a lot.  Should I think about getting a better charger that will charge faster/work better?  I don't think I will be going to lipo anytime soon (too complicated) so I won't need a lipo charger.  What is a great NiMH charger with a traxxas connector?  As I said before, I am already planning on an RPM front bumper, but what other upgrades should I look at?  I understand that tires can make a big difference... What tires would be best for what I want from my rustler (a little street, jumps, grass, snow)?  And thanks for all the help! Sorry, I am trying to learn as much as possible before I get my car so that I don't waste my money...

-Sportsdude

Old 10-26-2011, 02:56 PM
thehuntingterminator

i highly, highly recommend getting the VXL version. yes, its gonna cost you 150 bucks more, but trust me, its worth it. it comes with a 2.4ghz rx/tx ($70), all bearings ($20), and obviously the VXL system ($160). that a total of $250 if you upgrade to all that after getting the XL-5 version. the VXL is only about $330 shipped and its got all that stuff. plus, with the XL-5, you'll be burning up stock motors left and right. those Titan 12t's are terrible. i burned up 6 b4 going brushless (cost me $120 since they're $20 a piece). plus with brushless you'll get alot more power (but stil controlable depending on your battery). so the bottom line, get brushless if at all possible, but its not gonna kill ya' if you don't.

So I am either going to get the Rustler XL-5 or the VXL... Not sure which yet... But either one, I am planning on buying a Protek 7 cell 4600 mAh NiMH battery from amain. I also want to upgrade some stuff. Is amainhobbies.com the best place to buy upgrade parts? It seems like they have a wide selection and are fairly priced. Also,I am planning on sticking with all traxxas trucks from now on because of the waterproof feature. My Onyx 100charger is a few years old nowand hasbeen through a lot. Should I think about getting a better charger that will charge faster/work better? I don't thinkI will be going to lipo anytime soon(too complicated)so I won't need a lipo charger. What is a great NiMH charger with a traxxas connector? As I said before, I am already planning on an RPM front bumper, but what other upgrades should I look at? I understand that tires can make a big difference... What tires would be best for what I want from my rustler (a little street, jumps, grass, snow)? And thanks for all the help! Sorry, I am trying to learn as much as possible before I get my car so that I don't waste my money...

-Sportsdude

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.