Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

Official e-savage thread

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2009, 10:46 AM
generis

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Official e-savage thread

ez run hobbywing 80 amp combo with the 65 or the 74mm motor and you're on the road. Cheap and they work great
Old 08-22-2009, 01:33 PM
t9dragon
My Feedback: (11)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: guver

Leaner , but not meaner. I needed to tame this down since all it did was break shafts.

E-maxx outdrives, bigger yokes, lipos, reversed trans, and a Mamba Max esc.

Hey guver, what motor are you running with the Mamba Max?
Old 08-23-2009, 03:30 PM
guver
My Feedback: (325)

A cheap Hobbycity 36x60 mm on 4S. This tamed it down somewhat , but still continues to break shafts,arms,ect. This one vehicle has proven to be one of the worst vehicles I've owned because it sets on the bench broken most of it's life. The duratrax arms aren't woking out very well either. I'm going to try some steel dogbones soon.
Old 09-09-2009, 05:51 AM
Andyjk

ORIGINAL: generis

ez run hobbywing 80 amp combo with the 65 or the 74mm motor and you're on the road. Cheap and they work great
So i've been looking on ebay and the only"EZ Run" ones I have found are 19T 2350kv esc/motor combos. Thats not a very quick motor, I don't know if it would be worth it?

I also found a Kershaw motor and ez run esc combo that seems a bit better but i've never heard of the brand "Kershaw" before.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Old 09-09-2009, 08:56 AM
generis

well I've used the 2300 kv motors before in the e-savage, and it's at least 100% improvement over stock. That's no joke. it's a perfect match for that truck right there.
Up to 2700 kv is ok, and after that, into the 3000 and 3500 kv range is just not a good match, you get too much heat and have a hard time gearing it right.. although it can be done, the 2300 is so much better, and the gear is the right one right from the box with that ezrun combo.
What do you mean by it's slow? 14.4 volt stock batts with that motor will already be a 50% increase in motor rpm total over stock, and it's got elephant loads more torque and efficiency, even using stock batteries.
Old 09-09-2009, 06:57 PM
Andyjk

well I've used the 2300 kv motors before in the e-savage, and it's at least 100% improvement over stock. That's no joke. it's a perfect match for that truck right there.
Up to 2700 kv is ok, and after that, into the 3000 and 3500 kv range is just not a good match, you get too much heat and have a hard time gearing it right.. although it can be done, the 2300 is so much better, and the gear is the right one right from the box with that ezrun combo.
What do you mean by it's slow? 14.4 volt stock batts with that motor will already be a 50% increase in motor rpm total over stock, and it's got elephant loads more torque and efficiency, even using stock batteries.
I thought it was slow for a brushless motor. I have a 3500kv in my Slash and the E-sav weighs a whole lot more than my Slash, so I thought that it would be slow?

So does this EZ run set up require you to use two batteries for it to work?
Old 09-09-2009, 08:40 PM
generis

yes, the 3500 in the slash is a blast, and the 2300 in the e-sav will use 4s most likely, or 12 cells, so that's going to bring up the rpm and the gearing is all different.
14.4 volts into the ezrun 2350 is 33840 rpm on paper, which is still a solid 50% more static rpm than the stock motors, which tend to run around 20k in my gues-timations. Using the ezrun will make your e-sav fly.
The slash is using 3500 kv, but on 7.4 volts you get 25900 rpm or on 3s you get 38850 rpm, and on 4s the 2350 gets 33840, so you get the picture. The lower kv motors tend to make considerably more torque than the higher kv motors, and therefore work better in the heavier vehicles.
That's using the volts times kv rating formula, by the way. V x kv = rpm static
Old 09-09-2009, 08:55 PM
Andyjk

Oh ok cool, thanks heaps for explaining that!

I think I might give it a miss. I'm getting some 3s LiPo's for my Slash and wanted to use them on the E-sav if i got a brushless set up for it. But that would only give it 26085rpm (11. x 2350).

Actually, i was always wondering what I was going to do with my spare 6cell NiMH packs. hmmm......haha.

Well, I'm either going to get a brushless system for my E-sav for my TT-01. Price will probably determine this lol.

Thanks again for our help
Old 09-09-2009, 09:04 PM
bhcvc

I back up Generis's statements that the EZRun setups are really great! I have the 3665SL 2300kV motor and on stock TVPs, I flip on the lid every run. With GCM TVPs, flipping reduced, but still tons of power. And it runs cool. I'm geared for about 45mph and still runs just above ambient even on 100+F days. The 3674SL 2350kV motor would be even more a beast! The tranny helps reduce stress on the motor, so that helps it run cooler than if you were to put the same motor in an identical weight truck that's direct drive (i.e. 1/8 buggy). I've run the 3674SL 2350kV motor on 3s in a 1/8 truggy (heavier and direct drive) and it was still VERY fast. So yes, you can run both the 65mm and 74mm motors on 3s and just gear for the speed you want. They'll handle it fine. But their sweet spot is on 4s.
Happy running!
Old 09-09-2009, 09:17 PM
generis

we have one truck here on a 50mm long 2200kv motor (e-savage) and it's on 3s lipo and still a total rocket. Actually amazing speed. Certainly kills the stocker, and it's geared high because it's got tons of torque. Nice.
Hope to see a pic here of your BL e-savage soon
Old 09-10-2009, 05:16 PM
banx

i cant believe there is a 20 page thread on the e-savage wow.

what a waste. GOOOOO Traxxas. [:'(]
Old 09-10-2009, 09:50 PM
rcslsafut

where have i heard this argument before [ my camero will kick but on your mustang]
cant we all just get along they both are good trucks have t maxx e maxx and savage thyey all have there
pros and cons
Old 09-11-2009, 02:27 AM
DARKWAV

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: Andyjk

Actually, i was always wondering what I was going to do with my spare 6cell NiMH packs. hmmm......haha.
...well, as long as those are high performance NiMH packs. Economy sticks might not be able to get a brushless monster truck going. I had some reasonable priced economy packs that ran fine in my 5700 Kv 1/10 Stadium Truck (single pack), but wouldn't power-up my 3100 Kv E-Sav (dual pack). And yeah, 3100 Kv overheats a mamba max (with fan and external BEC) on stock tires and 20t pinion, estimate about 45 MPH with that setup. Perhaps a more powerful ESC like the Monster Max could handle it, but can't say for sure. Not an issue for me though since I run mine with small 1/8 buggy wheels and a short-course truck body.
Old 09-12-2009, 08:02 AM
Andyjk

ORIGINAL: rcslsafut

where have i heard this argument before [ my camero will kick but on your mustang]
cant we all just get along they both are good trucks have t maxx e maxx and savage thyey all have there
pros and cons
We generally all do get along fine, its just the small minority of tools that seem to think they are better than everyone else.
Old 09-13-2009, 06:09 PM
banx

whats even crazier is there is a whole webite dedicated to the e-savage.

www.e-savage.com

freakin bananas i tell ya
Old 09-13-2009, 07:22 PM
Andyjk

ORIGINAL: banx

whats even crazier is there is a whole webite dedicated to the e-savage.

www.e-savage.com

freakin bananas i tell ya
You must be fairly interested if you went out searching for it.
Old 09-14-2009, 02:33 AM
banx

i'm a fan
Old 09-14-2009, 05:49 PM
dbigfoot111

hi guys im planning to buy E-Savage soon, and i need to make sure if my battery set up is good or need some adjust to make it fun. so im asking for some opinions,
first i will probaly buy the E-Savage from towerhobby.com

here is my battery set up
umh i guess i might be running with 2s, would that be wheely on demand?

charger for 2s
http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/s...ancer/Charger#
i also know that charger doesnt come with AC charger, but i have a lap top charger that put out 19.5V 3.34A is that safe to supply the power for the charger?

Battery
http://hobbycity.com/hobbycity/store..._hardcase_pack (2X)
how long am i expecting with that battery? would that battery fit the e-savage? or i need some modification to fit it?

Lipo cut off
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXPGN1&P=7

memeber on here has recommended to buy traxxas axle, because the stock one wont fit for long, so here
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXSP55&P=7

what kinda shims i should get, i prefer the item is from towerhobby so i wouldnt have to pay shipping =)

this is all i think of now, so it it a good set up? LMK
Old 09-14-2009, 06:21 PM
generis

charger is good
charger power supply is NO GOOD. You need 12 to 14 volts and minimum of 10 amps clean.
Battery linky no worky
Smartstops are not cool. Get a lipo alarm from hobby city or e-bay or jns.com.
Axles, yes. Good idea.
Old 09-14-2009, 06:39 PM
dbigfoot111

charger is good
charger power supply is NO GOOD. You need 12 to 14 volts and minimum of 10 amps clean.
Battery linky no worky
Smartstops are not cool. Get a lipo alarm from hobby city or e-bay or jns.com.
Axles, yes. Good idea.
here is link for battery
http://hobbyking.com/hobbycity/store..._hardcase_pack
im buying 2, do i need modification for battery to fit? how long is the run goin to last?
lipo cutoff
http://hobbycity.com/hobbycity/store...idProduct=8927
isnt novak is is better? but i found this is cheaper, it would fit my battery right?
BTW what is the recomanded brand, how would i know how many to order?
Old 09-14-2009, 06:57 PM
generis

Great battery choice, but it might need to have the battery cover massaged slightly because of the square edge.. but it will fit in the physical hole.
Lipo alarms are good, it's not a 'cut off' it's a monitor and screams like a stuck pig when the voltage gets low. One for each battery is the best way.
Old 09-14-2009, 08:53 PM
dbigfoot111

Great battery choice, but it might need to have the battery cover massaged slightly because of the square edge.. but it will fit in the physical hole.
Lipo alarms are good, it's not a 'cut off' it's a monitor and screams like a stuck pig when the voltage gets low. One for each battery is the best way.
do you know the run time on the battery? also is that lipo alarm a good brand? what do you use?
Old 09-14-2009, 08:57 PM
generis

I'm guessing a nice 25 minutes on those.. if you keep the heat down on the motors. Those are fine for lipo alarms. I have the jns ones, which is basically a no-name brand, and there's many other people I know that use these well. What you linked is great.
Old 09-14-2009, 09:32 PM
dbigfoot111

thank you for bein so helpful , how loud does your lipo alarm goes? so each battery would need one lipo alarm correct? would lipo cutoff better becuase it would just stop the truck, and the lipo alarm will just alarm, but what if you cant hear it[X(]
Old 12-17-2009, 09:49 PM
Jeremy Z

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Well, I finally found this thread and spent a few hours reading the whole thing. I've already signed up on E-savage.com, so I see some familiar names.

guyver, have you figured out why you keep breaking axles yet? At first, it looked like you were running some pretty wheels and tires, and I thought the weight of them might have something to do with it. Then, I saw you went to stock, fitted Revo axles, and were still breaking them?! Seems like the only things left to check are the clutch being too tight or maybe the diffs not being shimmed right. That was a few months ago. I have to say, I admire your persistence, and I hope I don't have this sort of problem with mine when it comes.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.