Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

Official e-savage thread

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2008, 04:44 PM
VXL ENCHILADA

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Official e-savage thread

Haha yea i cant wait to see it.
Old 02-28-2008, 08:58 PM
PedeBeater

Should be ready soon. All I am waiting for is the ,otor mount and center drive shafts. Should have them both in the next week or so.
Old 02-28-2008, 09:29 PM
calvino

http://www.rcuniverse.com/market/item.cfm?itemId=369170 considerin an E-Savage since my 18T isn't so hot of a basher, low ground clearance, tons of steering slop.... tough though, is this truck a deal, plan on upgradin it to VXL in the future, and that is why it seemed interesting http://www.rcuniverse.com/market/item.cfm?itemId=369170 deal or no (potential) deal????
Old 02-28-2008, 09:40 PM
PedeBeater

Looks like a good deal Calvino.

BTW: I have been waiting for these parts for ever. I am getting them before release and will be testing and reviewing them.

They look amazing!
http://gcmachine.ca/index.php/rcstuff/exarm
Old 02-28-2008, 10:19 PM
email4walker

ORIGINAL: Wheelnut

ORIGINAL: email4walker

Question guys, When you put heat sinks on the stock motors, do you remove the sticker on the motor?

Thanks.
Yes you do. Take the motor sticker off and use some alcohol to remove the glue. Then use some contact grease found in computer stores to get good contact between the heat sinc and the motor.
This is the method to get the maximum cooling results and yes it does make a difference.
Hey, I did not know that the part on the motor with the sticker was just a sleeve. I am asumming it was used as a heat sink. I just took the whole sleeve off and put on the new heat sinks. Is that ok to do? If not, why?

Thanks.
Old 02-28-2008, 10:37 PM
Wheelnut
My Feedback: (81)

Question guys, When you put heat sinks on the stock motors, do you remove the sticker on the motor?

Thanks.
Yes you do. Take the motor sticker off and use some alcohol to remove the glue. Then use some contact grease found in computer stores to get good contact between the heat sinc and the motor.
This is the method to get the maximum cooling results and yes it does make a difference.
Hey, I did not know that the part on the motor with the sticker was just a sleeve. I am asumming it was used as a heat sink. I just took the whole sleeve off and put on the new heat sinks. Is that ok to do? If not, why?

Thanks.
No don't do that. Those are to give the magnets more strength.
Old 02-28-2008, 11:53 PM
email4walker

Thanks.

Thanks.
No don't do that. Those are to give the magnets more strength.

I got the sleeves back on there, but they are not a prefect fit any more. But still pretty good. Is that going to cause some issues? Should I just buy new motors?
Also, I tightened up my slipper clutch a half turn. It was very hard to do that. Is the slipper suppose to feel that tight?

Thanks.
Old 02-29-2008, 12:16 AM
calvino

ORIGINAL: PedeBeater

Looks like a good deal Calvino.
tks, ya, gooooooood price, amazin how you can get an RTR for less than a sport, leaves a good margin for a VXL system, lol, anyone know of some high cap cells that can fit in it, thinkin the DTX 4200, thought they made 4600, I dunno, just gessin there, if I do get it, plan to make it a RC car with a cam maybe, get some sweet stuff with it, gota have one nice electric
Old 03-01-2008, 12:19 PM
e-firestorm

can i put 7 cell batterys in my all stock e-savage?whats the most needed upgrade
Old 03-01-2008, 03:02 PM
Wheelnut
My Feedback: (81)

ORIGINAL: e-firestorm

can i put 7 cell batterys in my all stock e-savage?whats the most needed upgrade
Yes you can use 7 cell batteries, but I would suggest putting a cooling fan on the esc, heat sinks on the motors and a cooling fan on the motors. a cooling fan for a computer will cover both motors
Old 03-01-2008, 04:12 PM
hands without shadows

The elecs can handle 14 cells but it will take some dremelling to fit the chassis.Send HWS all your RCs!!!!!
Old 03-02-2008, 12:33 AM
pilsner6981

ORIGINAL: pilsner6981

they are very durable. i've only broke one universal shaft on a brushless system.

I removed the sticker and glue on my motor and put on a rcmonster clamping heat sink. temps are waaaaay down. i've heard the stickers actually hold heat in. even if it doesn't make a difference you may as well take it off for the chance that it might make a differance.

Hi wheelnut! new wheels, bowties, and roadboy chassis on the way! having a blast! Hows your new maxx?
Hey bud, doin fine thanks. Very cool to hear the great stuff you are doing with the truck.
My son and I have a blast when we can, but it's been raining, sleeting and snowing every chance we get to run, so we are waiting on spring. Here is a pic of what we have been doing in our down time.
WHOA!!! looking SWEET! RPM got richer this winter

@e-firestorm
Get 7 cell "hump packs" you can just cut a notch out of your battery holder to make them work. e-savage.com has lots of pics with people doing the mod on there trucks. Or you can get one of these http://www.gpmracing.us/?partnumber=A300&c=229 I haven't seen or heard anyone use these but they look sweet
Old 03-02-2008, 04:52 AM
e-firestorm

thanks so icant cut the holder on the end and put a 7 cell stick inonly hump will fit?
Old 03-02-2008, 04:53 AM
e-firestorm

thanks for the advice i dont want too plug them both in and fry my esc
Old 03-02-2008, 01:06 PM
email4walker

Has anyone tightened up their slipper? If so, how much should it be tighted (full turn, Half turn, etc)?

Thanks.
Old 03-02-2008, 04:59 PM
email4walker

What is the best thing to do for speed: two 3000mah 7 cell packs or two 4600mah 6 cell battery packs?

Thanks.
Old 03-03-2008, 07:44 PM
DARKWAV

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: calvino
tks, ya, gooooooood price, amazin how you can get an RTR for less than a sport, leaves a good margin for a VXL system, lol, anyone know of some high cap cells that can fit in it, thinkin the DTX 4200, thought they made 4600, I dunno, just gessin there, if I do get it, plan to make it a RC car with a cam maybe, get some sweet stuff with it, gota have one nice electric
Yup, good deal. I've been checking prices lately. I just joined the E-Savvy fold myself this weekend. Got a similar deal at $210, only the seller needed to keep the charger. It was local so didn't have to contend with shipping and I could inspect the vehicle. I think it worked out for both me and the seller. Output shaft that is part of the side bevel gear in the rear diff was broke but the seller had the replacement parts. I was able to stuff about 2800 mAh into the used stock batteries. next time I cycle I'll overnight charge to see if I can bring up the capacity a bit more.
Old 03-04-2008, 01:07 AM
pilsner6981

ORIGINAL: DARKWAV

ORIGINAL: calvino
Yup, good deal. I've been checking prices lately. I just joined the E-Savvy fold myself this weekend. Got a similar deal at $210, only the seller needed to keep the charger. It was local so didn't have to contend with shipping and I could inspect the vehicle. I think it worked out for both me and the seller. Output shaft that is part of the side bevel gear in the rear diff was broke but the seller had the replacement parts. I was able to stuff about 2800 mAh into the used stock batteries. next time I cycle I'll overnight charge to see if I can bring up the capacity a bit more.
Nice to see someone else join the madness!

@E-firestorm
maybe this will help for your batt tray ideas http://www.e-savage.com/forums/showt...?threadid=2518
lots of other ideas on that site
Old 03-04-2008, 12:32 PM
DARKWAV

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

How vulnerable to damage from collisions are the shocks. I've got 8 Kershaw aluminum shocks on order and was wondering if I need to get an RPM bumper as insurance. Is that bumper even wide enough to actually protect the shocks or is it mostly protection for the body?

I almost ordered just the set of 4 and thought of mounting them behind the towers…that's what HPI did with the E-Firestorm so I was thinking that location would provide the best protection for them … but at the last minute I decided to go in for all 8. So anyway just want to protect the investment.

Bumpers aren't really that hight on my list of must have items …though if anyone has any war stories and can tell me from experience why it is or isn’t an important item for this truck I would like to hear what you have to say. I'm not anti-bumper either…they were a necessity on my little 1/16 scale buggies because the original friciton shocks got bent-up pretty quick so I got wide bumpers for those when I upgraded to aluminum shocks and I've yet to have a shock damaged from a collision. So anyway my experience with those buggies is what's led me to aske the question about bumpers for the E-Savage.
Old 03-04-2008, 12:56 PM
pilsner6981

You won't have any problems at all. The tires and body do a great job of protecting. But i would recomend getting shock socks for your new investment.
Old 03-04-2008, 02:07 PM
email4walker

Has any one bought alumnium parts? Is it a worth while thing or only for looks?
Old 03-04-2008, 04:37 PM
PedeBeater

aluminum parts will definently add strength over the plastic parts. But imo you only need aluminum parts to replace broken plastic parts, unless you want to spend the money on the look.
Old 03-05-2008, 12:48 AM
pilsner6981

aluminum parts also add more weight to a already 10lbs truck... the e-sav is already very durable. Here are a few links anyway[8D]
http://www.teamstrc.com/ebproduct.asp?catmainid=2
http://www.integy.com/cgi-bin/webc.cgi/st_sresults.html
http://www.kershawdesigns.com/
http://www.e-savage.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1393
Old 03-08-2008, 11:07 AM
e-firestorm

ive not used mine much and ive broken 1 of the front shocks not sure how it happened tho
Old 03-08-2008, 11:10 AM
e-firestorm

thanks for the link. Can i definatly put 2x 7 cell batteries in it with all shock electrics?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.