Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

Just got my old Mini Mustang running!

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2007, 09:21 AM
cbs52

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Just got my old Mini Mustang running!

Another update - the range on my old radio gear has been getting worse and worse, so I couldn't even drive across the street without it glitching like mad, then just stopping. Thought it was the ESC for a bit as the steering appeared to work, but it was actually just going out of range. In fact, I could put it in my kitchen, then walk just out of the door (about 10 feet) and it would stop working!

Anyway, enough was enough, so I spent some time looking through ebay and after losing a few, I ended up with a Futaba Attack 40MHz transmitter and receiver which arrived today. First impressions are that the transmitter is bigger and takes more batteries, but feels more "precision" and that the receiver is much smaller (which is great). Quick lookup to see which way round the ESC plug goes (unfortunately, I cut the original plug off my FPS148 servo, so I don't know) and plugged it in. Then, put the ESC in the correct channel :-) ESC works, and there is no glitching at all. Stuck the car in the kitchen and it works right up to the front door, which is about 25 feet away, again with no glitching!

All I need now is a new connector on the servo, or a new servo - my Dad has a bunch of spare servos so he's going to look one out - and I'm away. No more having to chase the car around...

Also found some used but good tyres on ebay that should be arriving tomorrow to give me some grip, then I'm ready to go.

I'll post up some more pictures when I get it all up and running again, and maybe some video if I can convince one of my daughters to operate the camera (or the car).
Old 12-17-2007, 10:51 AM
zagato

I remember the MM very well. I had the PB Mustang xi2 1/8th with novarossi red head
Old 12-18-2007, 06:57 AM
cbs52

I am pretty sure that PB were fairly big in the 1/8th scale nitro scene back then, and thought they would get in on the 1/10th electric action, using their expertise. Unfortunately, the MM was eclipsed by the likes of the RC10, and to a lesser extent the Kyosho Optima. I still like my MM - it is quite tough and the belt drive seems to work quite well - it's certainly a lot more robust than anything that Tamiya was putting out at the time, and a lot more competetive.
Old 12-18-2007, 08:20 AM
zagato

PB didn't pay pro drivers in quite the same way huge companies like kyosho could. The winning kit on podiums is usually due to the companies paying for it to be there through sponsorship.

The reason PB died was people simply stopped buying their cars. Unfortunately when the Burns came out that was the end for PB. The Burns was on another level. Which is why every 1/8th car on sale today is a total Chinese rip off from this original design. Looked like PB couldn't afford to develop a model to compete. The X3 was the end of the line.
Old 12-20-2007, 01:24 PM
cbs52

It's all back together now, with an S3003 servo to replace the old FPS148 (faster and use of a different horn has given more lock). Much better to be able to stay in one place and drive it around :-)

All I need to do now is clear the grit out of the inside which keeps jamming the belt and find a way of filling the holes where it is getting in. Will have some time over the Chritsmas holidays to do that and hopefully take some pictures and video.
Old 12-21-2007, 09:03 AM
cbs52

D'oh, just whacked a low curb and snapped a front shock tower. Fortunately, I have spares, so not a problem. Is running very well now, but the tyres I have on the back don't grip on the road, so it is very twitchy in the turns. Must find some dirt to run on...
Old 12-30-2007, 08:09 AM
cbs52

As promised, here is a short video of the car running...

http://www.rcuvideos.com/item/QF6FB6PYNPHBMJ5R

Old 08-28-2011, 02:19 PM
Biscuit

Your so right Kyosho came along and changed it all