Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

NEW truck

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2011, 02:02 PM
32_d3gr33s

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default NEW truck

So ive never had electric cars... And i just recently purchased a HPI Sprint 2 Flux. Problem is, it is still on backorder, and i really want to drive something. I just ordered a HPI E-Firestorm 10T Flux today. Hope that it will hold me over until my car gets here! Any suggestions on anything i should get before the truck gets here?
Old 08-26-2011, 09:47 PM
thehuntingterminator

Default RE: NEW truck

nice battery and charger setup if you don't already have it.
Old 08-26-2011, 09:50 PM
thehuntingterminator

Old 08-26-2011, 11:18 PM
ThunderbirdJunkie
My Feedback: (3)

You should be beyond happy with that truck.

Did Riders hobby shop close up in GR?
Old 08-27-2011, 03:08 PM
32_d3gr33s

ORIGINAL: thehuntingterminator

Any you reccomend? I know absolutly nothing about batteries/chargers. I know it comes with a battery, but probably a cheap one.

ORIGINAL: ThunderbirdJunkie
Did Riders hobby shop close up in GR?
No they are still open.

Old 08-27-2011, 03:56 PM
nitrosportsandrunner

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

go with lipo batts. running a brushless truck on nimh is like running a race car on pump gas, you only get a % of the power.

turnigy 2s 5000mah hardcased lipos are decent(budget friendly)
the max amps lipos are really nice(hurts the wallet tho)
i have an imax b6 lipo charger. its only about $50 and works well. there are much nicer chargers tho, if you are willing to spend more cash.
Old 08-27-2011, 07:24 PM
FoamyVictim

Visit HobbyKing or Hobby Partz for lipos and chargers. Gens Ace, Turnigy and Zippy packs have all be great packs at a reasonable price. There's an online vid of a Gens Ace battery out performing a Max Amps pack by leaps and bounds. The G.A. pack was $40, the M.A. pack was $120+
Old 08-27-2011, 10:17 PM
For_The_Win

The best lipos PERIOD!!! http://www.poweredgerc.com/locate.htm This guy is so nice hell help anyone out.
Old 08-28-2011, 05:53 AM
ThunderbirdJunkie

ORIGINAL: FoamyVictim

Visit HobbyKing or Hobby Partz for lipos and chargers. Gens Ace, Turnigy and Zippy packs have all be great packs at a reasonable price. There's an online vid of a Gens Ace battery out performing a Max Amps pack by leaps and bounds. The G.A. pack was $40, the M.A. pack was $120+
Yeah, but ThunderbirdJunkie wants to see Jang test a Thunder Power 5300 65c battery and compare it to the Gens Ace...the only data he has are for cheapos apart from the Maxamps, and we all knew the Maxamps was junk to begin with[&:]
Old 08-28-2011, 06:07 AM
FoamyVictim

ORIGINAL: ThunderbirdJunkie

Yeah, but ThunderbirdJunkie wants to see Jang test a Thunder Power 5300 65c battery and compare it to the Gens Ace...the only data he has are for cheapos apart from the Maxamps, and we all knew the Maxamps was junk to begin with[&:]
Considering FoamyVictim does nothing but Race his RCs, performance is a key factor, second only to price point. If FoamyVictim were Adam Drake, the extra performance a Thunderpower battery offers "might" be worth the substantial increase in price. Since FoamyVictim is a club level racer, Zippy and Turnegy are more than adequate. He'd rather have 3-5 batteries with a cheapo label, than one lipo with a nifty label.

Case in point, $26:

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...arehouse_.html

$117:

http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...5C-74V-5300mAh
Old 08-28-2011, 06:12 AM
ThunderbirdJunkie

ThunderbirdJunkie's only point was he wanted to see a test of a different high end battery, he doesn't care about HK or Gens Ace batteries...none of them have been able to survive in his cars.
Old 08-28-2011, 06:32 AM
FoamyVictim

Just one last point before we hijack the OP's thread. FoamyVictim merely wants to save a guy a ton of money. Its likely the OP is NOT a pro level racer, and therefore will not benefit from the $120 pack over the $27 pack.

P.S. I've had HK batteries last for years; what on Earth are you doing to those batteries? [X(]
Old 08-28-2011, 07:23 AM
32_d3gr33s

lol

im just looking for a basic battery.  Ill mainly be driving in my backyard for short periods of time.  I may eventually try my hand a racing, but that would be quite a ways down the road.  I have a hpi Sprint 2 Flux car coming as well.  Is there any batteries that would work great for both of the cars?  or should i purchase 2 seperate batteries?  would i still be able to use the same charger? I see that the E-firestorm is capable of 3s, where the Sprint only says 2s.  I dont want something thats going to burn my motor up either, just something that will make it quick and reliable. Sorry for all the questions...

Old 08-28-2011, 07:26 AM
32_d3gr33s

1 more question..

i see batteries range from 20c all the way up to like 55c

any advice on which one of these to get?
Old 08-28-2011, 08:23 AM
FoamyVictim

If you buy the more efficiently priced packs, there's no reason you can't have a 3S pack for one and a 2S pack for the other. In fact, if you buy HK packs you can get two 3S packs and two 2S packs all for the price of a single expensive 2S pack.

C rating indicates how much the battery is advertised being able to discharge at any given moment. The higher the C rating, the more powerful the battery is supposed to be. As we've seen with Maxamps, who advertised 150C, many of these ratings are complete bullcrap. I've been using 30 and 40C packs. While the 40C pack does have more punch, unless you're racing another car, you likely won't notice. I would suggest anything 30C +. So 40-50 or 60C pack will be more than adequate and fun to drive.

Many of the balance chargers on HK's site will charge anything from a 1S pack all the way up to 6S. You'll notice some chargers have different wattage ratings. A 50 watt is most common, and great for up to 3S. Its only when you get to 4S-5S and 6S packs that you want a higher wattage charger. This is because a 50 watt charger will only charge a 4S pack about about 3 amps(so a 5000 mah pack can take 2 hours to charge). So for those of us into brushless 8th scale, running 4, 5 and 6S batteries, we use 200+ watt chargers. In your case, a 50 watt should be more than adequate. If you get all your batteries and the charger from HK, they will all have the corresponding balance plugs. This allows the charger to match the juice in each of the cells, and makes the pack live much much longer.
Old 08-28-2011, 08:58 AM
32_d3gr33s

Ok so I'm looking at the chargers...  mosy of them say input 12-14volts.  Do they sell any that come with the adapter for a wall charger, or do i need to buy that separate.  Also, is it just the power cord that looks like it goes to a laptop that is the adapter, or do i need a power supply?
Old 08-28-2011, 10:48 AM
FoamyVictim

This one has a power supply built in:

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...wer_COPY_.html
Old 08-28-2011, 11:12 AM
32_d3gr33s

This one has a power supply built in:

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...wer_COPY_.html
must have looked right over that one!!

Do only the stock bodies fit this truck, or can i buy any body and have them fit. Really want a tahoe body or h2 body, but didnt know if they would work

Old 08-28-2011, 11:15 AM
redfisher1974

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sadly not many bodies fit the firestorm. Pro-line has a Baja body that fits.
Old 08-28-2011, 11:17 AM
redfisher1974

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Come by the official E-Firestorm thread for all the info and help you will ever need.
Old 08-28-2011, 02:29 PM
silvermansteve
My Feedback: (2)

one poster on the hk site said that charger has an eu plug so i guess you'd have to change it. somebody chime in if i'm wrong.