Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

Thoughts on chargers

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2008, 11:43 PM
Enzyme80

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thoughts on chargers

I think I have narrowed my search for chargers down to three of them.
Dynamite Vision Peak 2 Advanced AC/DC Peak Detection Charger
Duratrax Piranha Digital Peak Charger NiCd/NiMH
Superbrain 977

I know there are others in this price range and maybe one will be better then what I have listed... again I am new.

I really don't want / need anything over 100 dollars, only going to be running NIHM for a while.

For now I will probably have 1-4 batteries, starting with just one for right now. I am guessing I will get something cheap to start out with because I might as well start with crap and then see the "real" difference so something like a venom 3000 mah and then maybe a DTX4200 and then maybe like the ener-g 6 cell and 7 cell. I figure if I am going to get 7 cell batteries I might as well get the good ones.
Old 03-19-2008, 02:08 AM
sheograth

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Thoughts on chargers

Out of all those I'd go with the superbrain
Old 03-19-2008, 03:18 AM
bte214

I concur.
Old 03-19-2008, 10:18 AM
sloppyG

if you're going to spend up to $100, you may want to think about running lipo in the future

you could pick up a nice lipo capable charger like the hyperion 0606i for $130-140 and only buy one charger

where if you buy the 977, (about $75 if I remember correctly) and then in 8 months decide to buy a lipo charger anyways you've ended up spending more money

the 977 is nice for it's dual pack capabilities, but it's lipo capabilities are a joke
Old 03-19-2008, 10:48 AM
mkoresh12

I agree with sloppyg. I wasted my money on a low level charger and had to upgrade later to get the features I wanted. I also got the hyperion 0606i. I haven't used it much since I'm waiting for the race season but so far its a great charger for not that much more money. It can do your NIMH, LIPO and I think it can do A123 cells as well. It also is AC/DC and comes with a built in balancer if you decide to go lipo. The little extra it costs is well worth it in my opinion. If your mind is totally made up on those then the 977 is the way to go.
Old 03-19-2008, 10:52 AM
Vic Nyce

i have the SB977 and its great. the LiPo charge mode will only go up to 2.5A at 2S and 3A at 3S. but since most of my packs are NiMh, it doesnt bother me. it can also charge two batts of same or different chemistries simultaneously. lastly, it comes with a 10A power supply. you wont be disappointed.
Old 03-19-2008, 11:43 AM
Longhair

ORIGINAL: sloppyG

if you're going to spend up to $100, you may want to think about running lipo in the future

you could pick up a nice lipo capable charger like the hyperion 0606i for $130-140 and only buy one charger

where if you buy the 977, (about $75 if I remember correctly) and then in 8 months decide to buy a lipo charger anyways you've ended up spending more money

the 977 is nice for it's dual pack capabilities, but it's lipo capabilities are a joke
Why is the 977 a joke when it comes to charging lipos?

Is it because it doesn't have a built in balancer or the 3s limit on it?
Old 03-19-2008, 12:02 PM
sloppyG

the amp rates, the lack of balancing, the fact that it's completely not intuitive to get to lipo mode on the charger

I also don't like that a peak racing lipo pack I purchased said specifically on the battery that it was absolutely not to be charged on any MRC charger

the warning on my battery leads me to belive that MRC is not using as good of a charging method as other chargers

for not much more than the cost of the 977 and a balancer, you get a more user friendly, smaller, quieter charger that can charge lipo's at higher amp rates
Old 03-19-2008, 12:51 PM
DARKWAV

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Here's a thought to chew on…I would almost suggest just spending about $30-35 on a really basic a/c peak charger, but that doesn't put you too far off for a more capable Digital Pirahna (DP) so lets discuss that option.

If you don't enjoy the hobby or you need to liquidate what you've got for financial reasons, you're not that heavily invested with a Digital Pirahna (but it is still something you could probably get a nice chunk of money for if you sell, anything less will have very little value used).

On the other hand, which is more than likely going to be the case, lets say you really enjoy this hobby. Well in that case you will likely EVENTUALLY want a more capable charger especially if you end up with a bunch of NiMH batteries you need to maintain, something that will run you more than $100 just for the charger and require an external power supply further escalating costs (for arguments sake lets say an ICE and a 20-25 Amp PS) . Well you know what, that Digital Pirahna (DP) will make a great second charger…you can charge one battery up on the ICE and at the same time another battery up on the DP. You'll have the ICE to use to better manage your batteries, and you'll now have a PS powerful enough to run both chargers at the same time so your DP will also now be capable of charging at higher rates.

Or even another consideration, maybe you go LiPo sooner than you think, and don't end up with a heavy investiment in NiMH batteries. Now unless I'm not understanding things right, it seems like dedicated LiPo chargers are really not all that expensive. And with LiPo, you don't need a feature rich charger, just something basic that uses the safest charging methods. So in this scenario, you will have both NiMH and LiPo charging capability without breaking the bank.

When I was looking at chargers I was pretty wrapped around the axle about having a single do-it-all charger. However, now that I have essentially 6 inexpensive 3000 mAh NiMH batteries, 2 inexpensive 1100 mAh NiMH (for Mini's), it is really nice to have my cheapo $25.00 peak charger available when I'm getting ready for the weekend. Even though I did upgrade to an ICE, that $25.00 spent on the cheapo to get me started in the hobby is still an investment I used…heck I almost which I would have picked up a DP because my cheapo only goes up to 2.5 A and has no capacity readout…it is really nice to be able to monitor how much charge your batteries have taken and I believe the DP shows that information. Just writing this I'm tempted to go out and get a DP! (the nice thing about my cheapo is that it is very portable…its like a notebook computer power supply…so it is really hard to hate on it even though it takes 1.3 hrs for it to charge my 3000 mAh batteries!)
Old 03-19-2008, 01:32 PM
yellowfuzzle

ORIGINAL: DARKWAV

Here's a thought to chew on…I would almost suggest just spending about $30-35 on a really basic a/c peak charger, but that doesn't put you too far off for a more capable Digital Pirahna (DP) so lets discuss that option.

If you don't enjoy the hobby or you need to liquidate what you've got for financial reasons, you're not that heavily invested with a Digital Pirahna (but it is still something you could probably get a nice chunk of money for if you sell, anything less will have very little value used).

On the other hand, which is more than likely going to be the case, lets say you really enjoy this hobby. Well in that case you will likely EVENTUALLY want a more capable charger especially if you end up with a bunch of NiMH batteries you need to maintain, something that will run you more than $100 just for the charger and require an external power supply further escalating costs (for arguments sake lets say an ICE and a 20-25 Amp PS) . Well you know what, that Digital Pirahna (DP) will make a great second charger…you can charge one battery up on the ICE and at the same time another battery up on the DP. You'll have the ICE to use to better manage your batteries, and you'll now have a PS powerful enough to run both chargers at the same time so your DP will also now be capable of charging at higher rates.

Or even another consideration, maybe you go LiPo sooner than you think, and don't end up with a heavy investiment in NiMH batteries. Now unless I'm not understanding things right, it seems like dedicated LiPo chargers are really not all that expensive. And with LiPo, you don't need a feature rich charger, just something basic that uses the safest charging methods. So in this scenario, you will have both NiMH and LiPo charging capability without breaking the bank.

When I was looking at chargers I was pretty wrapped around the axle about having a single do-it-all charger. However, now that I have essentially 6 inexpensive 3000 mAh NiMH batteries, 2 inexpensive 1100 mAh NiMH (for Mini's), it is really nice to have my cheapo $25.00 peak charger available when I'm getting ready for the weekend. Even though I did upgrade to an ICE, that $25.00 spent on the cheapo to get me started in the hobby is still an investment I used…heck I almost which I would have picked up a DP because my cheapo only goes up to 2.5 A and has no capacity readout…it is really nice to be able to monitor how much charge your batteries have taken and I believe the DP shows that information. Just writing this I'm tempted to go out and get a DP! (the nice thing about my cheapo is that it is very portable…its like a notebook computer power supply…so it is really hard to hate on it even though it takes 1.3 hrs for it to charge my 3000 mAh batteries!)
This all makes sense to me. To add further to this: I had an MRC Superbrain 959 which is comparable to the DP. I bought it for $50 new, and sold it a year later for about $30. A good mid-level charger doesn't seem to lose too much of its value over time.
Old 03-19-2008, 04:31 PM
Enzyme80

Thanks for the info guys. I think that the DP is the one I am going to go with. My friend has the Dynamite charger (listed above) and it gives him false peaks or at least it was I think it is working now. Also I do like the digital aspect and saving 50 bucks is another battery or parts for a while when something breaks. Its not that I don't like the other chargers mentioned but I just don't want that much invested just yet and again why not start out cheap and work your way up right? Thanks again.
Old 03-19-2008, 07:06 PM
ah-see

ORIGINAL: Enzyme80
....why not start out cheap and work your way up right? Thanks again.
Because if you start out cheap and then decide on getting a LiPo capable charger in the future it will cost you more in the long run.
Old 03-19-2008, 07:25 PM
Redvanmafia

theres a Duratrax one for 59.99 on tower thats the one i used to use it was really good to me. now i run a dtx ice
Old 03-19-2008, 07:58 PM
sloppyG

I think the cheap 30-40 dollar charger is a good idea, darkwav has some good points
Old 03-19-2008, 08:34 PM
Enzyme80

Because if you start out cheap and then decide on getting a LiPo capable charger in the future it will cost you more in the long run.
but if I decide not to go liPo. Some of us have to pay lots of bills (mortgage, electric, oil, cable, cars) and don't make tons of money to support every hobby we want with the full disregard to money so saving us 100 bucks now is huge I mean that is my cable / internet / phone bill right there because I bought a charger that works great for me now rather then a charger I might use in the future for battery packs I don't own now. Sometimes I understand buying more than you need / planning ahead but in my current situation spending more for what I don't need is not planning ahead its just bad spending.
Old 03-19-2008, 08:45 PM
mog ruith

dont tell me you are not going lipo
its the next thing to come in the rc scene from what i see
Old 03-19-2008, 09:56 PM
TheTruckingGuru

Well I hope you do stay in this hobby. I understand the finances but I think you will find this hobby gives back a lot in fun and satisfaction.
Old 03-19-2008, 10:33 PM
Cheap Guy

All too often I see experts tell noobs to go "all out" when getting into the hobby. When I started looking for a hobby last year, I thought R/C planes were the thing to do. I sought the advice of "experts" who convinced me to go all out - build a kit v. RTF, ailerons, lipos, expensive radio, etc. Turns out I never flew the plane and I probably would have actually enjoyed the hobby had I gone with a simple RTF for my first plane. I ended up selling everything at a big loss. I finally bought a Parkzone RTF for $100 and I'm satisfied for now.

So when I decided to try RC cars, I got a cheap TL-01 clone RTR car with a wall wart charger and Radio Shack batteries and got hooked. Now I'm on to my THIRD car and I'll probably go lipo later this year on my TB-02 kit that I just built. None of the cheaper stuff like upgrade motors and batteries I bought is going to go to waste because I'll either still use it or give it to my daughters.

I just bought a used Super Brain 959 for $30 shipped from a forum member and if/when I decide to go lipo, I'll get a dedicated lipo charger which from my research I've found are a lot cheaper than dual lipo/nimh chargers. Going lipo is a lot more involved than a lot of people let on, so you may end up staying with nimh longer than you think. From what I've seen, you can easily get a used 959 for around $30 shipped, or a new 960 for about $50 plus shipping.
Old 03-20-2008, 06:25 AM
sxcurtin

what about the triton jr????
Old 03-20-2008, 01:40 PM
Enzyme80

What about it? Details help someone like me who knows nothing well maybe a little something as I have been reading reviews and this web site for a few months now. At work right not don't have too much time to look at it.
Old 03-20-2008, 02:21 PM
Longhair

I have the Super Brain 977 since I don't need anymore than what it offers.

I don't go over 3s lipo since I am just running cars/trucks.
I don't bring the charger with me, so trying to charge a battery in 2 minutes is pointless.
It is able to charge 2 packs at once - bonus for me.

It is a little noisy because of the built in fan, but it is in the same room as my loud computer.
Old 03-20-2008, 03:26 PM
mkoresh12

ORIGINAL: Cheap Guy

All too often I see experts tell noobs to go "all out" when getting into the hobby. When I started looking for a hobby last year, I thought R/C planes were the thing to do. I sought the advice of "experts" who convinced me to go all out - build a kit v. RTF, ailerons, lipos, expensive radio, etc. Turns out I never flew the plane and I probably would have actually enjoyed the hobby had I gone with a simple RTF for my first plane. I ended up selling everything at a big loss. I finally bought a Parkzone RTF for $100 and I'm satisfied for now.

So when I decided to try RC cars, I got a cheap TL-01 clone RTR car with a wall wart charger and Radio Shack batteries and got hooked. Now I'm on to my THIRD car and I'll probably go lipo later this year on my TB-02 kit that I just built. None of the cheaper stuff like upgrade motors and batteries I bought is going to go to waste because I'll either still use it or give it to my daughters.

I just bought a used Super Brain 959 for $30 shipped from a forum member and if/when I decide to go lipo, I'll get a dedicated lipo charger which from my research I've found are a lot cheaper than dual lipo/nimh chargers. Going lipo is a lot more involved than a lot of people let on, so you may end up staying with nimh longer than you think. From what I've seen, you can easily get a used 959 for around $30 shipped, or a new 960 for about $50 plus shipping.
I agree and disagree. I think we were recommending the more expensive chargers because he initially stated he wanted to go up to $100. If your going that far its only a marginal increase to get a charger that is more capable, I got my Hyperion for $135 and it has a lot of good features the others in a similar price range didn't. I agree in the sense that maybe he should get a cheap 25-35 charger for now and get a lipo dedicated charger later. You can get a dedicated lipo balance charger starting around $40.

Enzyme80- I also had a dynamite charger(prophet plus) and it false peaked quite a bit too. I couldn't finish a 5 minute heat on a brand new 4200mah battery, very frustrating.
Old 03-20-2008, 03:49 PM
magnat

I for one wont be going Lipo till they no longer make NIMH yet I still believe that a Charger like the Triton JR is a good investment.

To be truely honest, as long as it has Nicd/NIMH capability and a Discharge/Recharge/Cycle Capability and a Charge rate of up to 5amps then your Cells are going to be in good hands..
An information screen helps you to know the state of your Batts and when there in need of a Cycle... LIPO is not essential but the feature is nice to have..

So the Triton JR is the pick of the Bunch for me...
Old 03-20-2008, 10:31 PM
Enzyme80

Enzyme80- I also had a dynamite charger(prophet plus) and it false peaked quite a bit too. I couldn't finish a 5 minute heat on a brand new 4200mah battery, very frustrating.
I think that is enough for me to stay away from the dynamite charger.

the DP does do 5 amps but only on DC... hrm will 3amps hurt a batter or really just take longer to charger?
Old 03-21-2008, 04:38 PM
DARKWAV

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: Enzyme80

I think that is enough for me to stay away from the dynamite charger.

the DP does do 5 amps but only on DC... hrm will 3amps hurt a batter or really just take longer to charger?

No harm, it will just take longer.

My friend has a prophet sport , which is a step down from the prophet plus. Maybe the are really two totally different chargers and shouldn't really relate the two but it may worth noting that the Prophet Sport has given my friend problems false-peaking and stuff. Recommend staying away from the Prophet Sport as an economy charger or anything that looks exactly like it (I think there's a rebadged one by Megatech).

Optimally you want to charge your batteries at 1C. It will take one hour to charge your battery at 1C (more or less depending on the condition of your battery, a battery in great condition will likely take more capacity than it is rated at so it will take longer for it to fill up). That is a 3000 mAh battery at 3A, a 3600 battery at 3.6 A, etc. Charging at less than 1C (like a 3600 mAh at 3A) will just take longer . It is also perfecty reasonable to charge up to 1.5C (3000 mAh battery at 4.5A) … it will charge faster but it will peak with less capacity than if you charged at a lower rate, and over the lifespan of the battery you'll get less cycles out of it if you always charge at 1.5C as opposed to 1C. So I charge as close to 1C as possible. Anyway this is why it is nice to have a charger that is adjustible in 0.1A increments.

Economy chargers may onle have a few charge settings. My cheapo charger just has a 3 position switch so I can only choose between 0.5, 1.0 and 2.5 amps on that one.

One last thing to consider, which makes getting a digital charger a reasonable idea, is that you will be able to see when your batteries are starting to take less capacity, that's a good indication that your cells are getting out of balance and run time will be affected. When that happens you charge at C/10 for about 14-16 hours. This will help to get your cells back in balance and restore some, maybe alot of that lost capacity (you'll never get it all back because the cells will degrade with use).

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.