Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

Official E-FIRESTORM thread

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2011, 06:10 AM
namewasdallas

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Official E-FIRESTORM thread

the Mamba Monster system is great, The motor and the speed control are both huge. My friend runs that setup in his 100mph Rustler on 6s and it takes it like a champ with 31-35 gearing... You'll be very pleased with the combo its top notch. Just like all castles new stuff

I havent temped my motor yet
Old 09-05-2011, 08:54 AM
thehuntingterminator

yeah i've seen alot of people do that with their Rustler, looks insane. only problem for me is i don't have $300 for the Monster and another $40 for an aluminum tranny that'll fit that huge motor.
ORIGINAL: namewasdallas

the Mamba Monster system is great, The motor and the speed control are both huge. My friend runs that setup in his 100mph Rustler on 6s and it takes it like a champ with 31-35 gearing... You'll be very pleased with the combo its top notch. Just like all castles new stuff

I havent temped my motor yet
Old 09-05-2011, 10:58 AM
redfisher1974

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I wanted to change out the bearings on the storm today, But my kids (one and three) are just like wild animals today[&:]
Old 09-05-2011, 10:59 AM
thehuntingterminator

lol, exactly why i don't want kids when i get older...
Old 09-05-2011, 11:13 AM
redfisher1974

some chick will sucker you into the whole family thing
Old 09-05-2011, 02:57 PM
namewasdallas

I think it fits right in the stock tranny but I cant remmber. I got a rustler I could do it with but im not buying that setup. I got like $1400 invested in my firestorm charger batterys and all the other crap, So im trying to chill on spending more money. I may actually be trading my rustler for a Team Associated 1/10th scale b4 or something the AWD buggy thing. It's a roller but i got my firestorm brushless motor and esc to drop in it. I'd only have to buy a driveshaft that it needs.

I started working on a small track I made over in my old man's garden. It's nothing crazy just one jump and a berm on each end. At first i made the jump like a foot high and tested it and hit the jump and laucnhed my car all the way across the track so I may need to bring it closer to the turn so we dont have as much speed or make it a tripple. I want to make some whoops but I was having a hard time thinking of how to make them so small to the point where the our trucks wouldnt just use them as a jump... If anyone can explain let me know.

Here's a pic of the garden turned race track. It's not done but it will be by next weekend hopefully. I got some plastic drainage pipe to devide the center line.

Old 09-05-2011, 02:58 PM
nitro-rob

ORIGINAL: thehuntingterminator

lol, exactly why i don't want kids when i get older...
Thats what every guy says.
Old 09-05-2011, 03:19 PM
redfisher1974

Nice garden/track.
Old 09-05-2011, 03:41 PM
namewasdallas

Thanks its coming along pretty quick for doing it all by my self and only using a shovel and a rake, I took the easy way and took some firewood to build the jumps and berm and just laid dirt over it which makes them stronger. The one jump i got I think i may make a tripple out of it.

Yeah kids are a handfull for sure alot of friends have kids now im 23  and It's just so much work. I was planning on having a kid with my ex I was engaged to for 3 years but things didnt work out and im glad we didnt there so expensive and to much work for me.. I like playing with everyone elses kids for now
Old 09-05-2011, 06:20 PM
nitro-rob

Engaged for three years by age 23!  Slow down buddy, just drive the RCs fast.  Good job on the track, I wish I has some space to do something like that.  Kids are both wonderful and frustrating but I wouldn't trade mine in for anything (or anybody elses).

Old 09-05-2011, 06:26 PM
namewasdallas

Yeah me and her were happy and good untill the end. We had our own place for 3 years and are lil family which was our fish tank and our 2 cats. I've met other girls sense and dated but they end up being bums im trying to start a life with a girl and I want to build my own house within the next few years.

What are the little white foam O-rings Team Associated runs on there trucks and cars at the ballcup on the tie rod ends?

What to they do exactly?

I was thinking they take out the play and when i say play on my firestorm you can wiggle them. So i was thinking of buying some associated ones to take out the play on all of them as a cheap upgrade.

Old 09-05-2011, 06:28 PM
rclugnut10
My Feedback: (1)

they're made of a soft foam, they won't take out any play, they're to prevent dust and grime and such from getting up and under the ball cup and wearing it out...

the lug
Old 09-05-2011, 07:03 PM
namewasdallas

hey Nitro-rob with your 3800kv motor do you have issues with the nut on the slipper clutch backing loose, Cause i just read about someone having that issue, Now that I think about what happened the other day when my slipper came loose and spur gear was loose and got stripped I am almost positive thats what happened because right before that i was tighting the slipper because it was to loose and I know I wasn't loosening it.

So I'm going to pick up some locktight to put on nut. The titnium top shaft is very short compaired to the stock one where you have 6-7 threads when the nut is tightned down.

I've never bought lock tight so which one do I get, The Blue?
Old 09-05-2011, 07:11 PM
nitro-rob

I did have a problem with it going loose and posted about it for a while earlier in the summer. The symptoms seem identical to what you are describing. The problem turned out to be a bad nut that stripped a little bit but enough to look like it was okay and tighten down fine but would go loose easily. Luckily it didn't wear the threads on the set screw shaft it was on. Loctite isn't necessary on a slipper. Definitely try another nut.
Old 09-05-2011, 07:31 PM
nitro-rob

Dallas, I did some playing in the scryptasylum calculator assuming you are running on 3s with 77/24 gears and 4.2 inch tires. The calculator says 63 MPH.

I run 83/24 with 3.6 inch tires.  With this gearing it calculates to about 50 MPH. With this gearing it runs at safe temperatures. 

To calculate this to go to 63 MPH I would have to add six teeth to the pinion or increase the tire size to 4.2 inches and add two teeth to the pinion.

The calculated number is pretty meaningless at these speeds since you have drag and tire expansion as countering effects that complicate things but it gives you an idea of how differently we are geared.

Old 09-06-2011, 08:56 AM
namewasdallas

Ok ill try to switch nuts on it and see if that solves my issue. I dont think i run 4.2inch tires, I run the 2.2 rims and 2.2 tires but maybe there

I just measure the tires and rims, Rims were 2.2 and tires where 3 1/4inch's tall, there street hawgs. I bought them from a buddy for $5.00 to just have  a set of tires and rims to run on the road cause I'd tear my gladiators apart in less then 20 mins on the road.

I don't think at speeds under 80-90mph there's much drag, the body on these cars are nice and areodynamic there pretty damn sleek and there low to the ground so the air paces pretty easy. I mess with regular cars and they create alot of drag cause of the size but I just can't see a r/c making alot of drag being so small at lower speed. The Tire issue I don't really get with road hawgs there a super low profile tire and have hardly anyside wall so they dont balloon at all. I think 70mph is in within reason.

Nitro-rob what settings do you have your motor at under the castle Link like punch and traction control and brake, Cause I need to tame this beast a little.
Old 09-06-2011, 09:59 AM
nitro-rob

Its well known that aerodynamics and other drag starts to play a role over 50mph for all vehicles and even the scryptasylum sotware warns of this for speeds calculated over 45 mph.   You are running low profile tires like I am, though, which is good.  I should have specified tire diameter and didn't mean to assume rim size.  The calculator is not accurate over 50 mph at all but it helps with tuning.

I just run punch control and bring the BEC voltage up.  The way to tame it is to gear down, you will notice a big difference in control when the wheels aren't spinning at 70mph when you hit the throttle when the truck is moving at 30 mph.  The whole truck comes into control.  I find even my 50 mph setup to be a handful on the street.

Old 09-06-2011, 12:07 PM
nitro-rob

Took some photos of my storm today and thought I would share. All is well except I am waiting for new tires and rims.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Lj21861.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	74.7 KB
ID:	1658987   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wr53843.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	193.2 KB
ID:	1658988   Click image for larger version

Name:	Db84584.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	71.0 KB
ID:	1658989  
Old 09-06-2011, 12:59 PM
redfisher1974

Looks good Rob.
Old 09-06-2011, 01:32 PM
namewasdallas

that truck is super clean looking. I'm thinking of picking up those shocks at some point.

I usally dont drive my truck on the street usally just on a dirt track, I just ran a 87t Spur and 26 pinion and it ran good motor stayed cool. I'm going to glear it down and toss on my aluminum 21t pinion for dirt track racing tonight. I also made more holes in the windsheild and tossed a few more between the back mounting post area. I also think droping from 3s to 2s tames the motor alot which we will see tmrw.

Ups left a note saying they missed me today and its my Lipo from HobbyKing after a month so I signed it and will have a 2s tmrw.
Old 09-06-2011, 04:03 PM
nitro-rob

New video from today taken just after the photos. Nothing special. The new battery needs to be conditioned, there was more cogging than normal and I could feel it wasn't as sharp as my regular battery. It also got warm which never happened with the other lower C rated battery. A couple of cycles and it will be better.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nO2WGj5JgGc
Old 09-06-2011, 05:18 PM
redfisher1974

Thats a danger zone for real...lol....Zipps along pretty good.
Old 09-06-2011, 05:39 PM
nitro-rob

I do most of my driving there its in front of my house, I love on a T.  The traffic isn't usually that bad since I mostly go at night.  Its pretty tight with cars parked on the road, though.
Old 09-06-2011, 05:49 PM
AIRSAVAGE

LOL Redfisher! I'm a family man myself....currently expecting our third! I love being a dad, but it does mean I can spend what I used to on this hobby. One cool thing is my son is starting to get interested in driving the cars now. Very cool.
Old 09-06-2011, 06:15 PM
AIRSAVAGE

Nice Firestorm Rob. That truck is moving alot faster than mine! Looks great. What shocks are you using?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.