Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

The Official Losi Desert Truck Thread!

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2010, 08:18 PM
goedmonds

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: The Official Losi Desert Truck Thread!

ORIGINAL: goedmonds

Proline Epic Beadlocs on the rear of SDT

Well today was a wheel project day to fit rear Proline Epic Beadloc and Slash Switch tires (P/N 1076-12, 2.2 x 2.2) on the rear of my Speed T. Offset was good. I bought Traxxas hex adapters tall offset #3654 and a piece of copper tube that is 7/32 x .014 to make axle shim spacers. The Losi axle is smaller in diameter than the the Traxxis axles. I put a piece of the tubing in a drill and used sand paper to take the tubing down to the size I needed. I used my dremel and cut off wheel to notch the axle shim tube for the drive pin and split it so that it would compress and fit tightly. I will post a picture later. Drive pins have to be shorten also for the Traxxas hex. Took me around 30 minutes to do both sides on the rear. I ran a bit and then took the tires off and taped them. One of the guys here in the RV Park is experimenting with stick on sand paper on the inside of the loc ring to help keep the bead from pulling free. Running on a paved oval with these tires creates that issue from time to time. But they hold the track very well! I have ran these tires on Losi DT wheels, but I hate the glueing issues. Pain in the behind.

Next will be to fit Losi front wheel hubs into another set of Epic wheels. It appears that if I cut the hub/bearing carrier out of a Losi wheel and bore the hex hub out of the Epic wheel I should be able to mate them up. One concern is the wheels are Nylon which does not glue well. I believe I will leave a flange on the out edge of the hub and press the new hub in from the outside to the inside, so that the wheel will be captive on the new hub.

I now have the old hubs ready to insert in a set of Epic wheels for the front, just have to find another set of wheels.

This will work on the Desert Truck or Speed T, and most likely the XXXT also.
Chris

Well today I did a major rework of the front huds. I took a set of read hubs and old outer ends of rear axles and installed them on the front of my truck. It took a little grinding with the drimel tool. I shorten the rear hub on both ends so that it would fit in the steering block. I also relieved it a little so that it would not hit the A-frame and pin on the bottom side.

I changed the front axles from fixed with the bearings in the wheel to floating with the bearing in the hub and installed a set of standard Proline Epic Beadloc wheels. I have the one with the least offset on both front and back. So all the wheels and tires are now interchangable left to right and front to back. I used left rear hub is on the right side and the right rear hub is on the left side. I had to make a couple axle shims like pictured above in my old rear conversion and get another set of hex adapters. I cut the cv joint bell end off the inside of the old rear axle so that it clears the steering block leaving the ridge to seat on the inter bearing.

So I now have axles that spin in bearings in the front hubs in place of bearings in the wheels. Any standard hex wheel should now be able to be used. I wanted the beadlocs and Swtich 2.2 tires, as they seem to work the best on our paved oval track. Project time was about 3 hours, with most of the time turning down the brass tube in a drill with sand paper for the axle shim. Understand I am in a Snowbird RV park in Arizona with limited tools.

The front rims pictured here kept getting knocked loose and out of alignment.

End result is that I have good "standard" beadloc rims on both ends now. This did move the front wheels back about 3/8 of an inch. Update: I ordered a set of Aluminum rear hubs this morning to install on the front for the extra strenght.

Chris
Old 11-19-2010, 03:12 AM
Sh1mmy

Nice job mate.
Sounds like it took a bit to fit but the end result would be pretty good and far better than the stock setup.

I was just thinking of swaping these bits over...
http://www.losipartshouse.com/servle...les-%26/Detail
http://www.losipartshouse.com/servle...b-Axles/Detail
http://www.losi.com/ProdInfo/Files/E...ist_XXX_CR.pdf

Should accomplish the same thing and all the other needed parts should already be on the truck.

In my last lot of parts though, I got the Strike Hex set.
These allow you to put a bearing in the front hex's.
They work alright, not as free wheeling with the standard setup though but it works... with spacers, there isn't enough thread to do the nut up enough.
Only wish I thought of/knew of the XXX CR parts, would have been better and only an extra couple of dollars.

After fixing up LDT #1 and then redoing the shocks on LDT #2 and cleaning it, I then noticed that the front brace is broken (well it has a crack through one side of it)... should have cleaned it all up and looked at it before I got the parts...

The 50k wt diff oil is great, acts more like an LSD, it takes considerably more to off load the power to one wheel.

Running my old brushed setup in LDT #1... man it is slllooooooww... painfully slow, tyres barely balloon, no top speed, no wheelies.
Acceleration isn't too bad, it just tops out soo quick and easily (its a Tamiya TZ 23).
Looking at this.. http://rc-fans88.com/details.asp?prodid=2220 and http://rc-fans88.com/details.asp?prodid=2626.
Trying to debate which one I should go for... Longer and cheaper or WYE and 4 pole and most likely more efficient.
Only after something around 3000kv, my next lot of batteries is going to have a couple of 3cell's amongst it and don't want something too stupidly powerful (although I think the torque of the leopard one would be much higher than the other one and the Velineon).
Dunno what ESC I'll go for, maybe the 80a Xerun.
Gotta save up some money before I can get it all though.

ETOWN: Did you get me PM? I send a couple a few days ago but not sure if they went through, my sent box is empty...

Old 11-19-2010, 10:17 AM
goedmonds

I have a Siderwinder 4600KV brushless in both my DT and SDT. I run 2 cell 20C 5000 batteries. Program the ESC with cable and laptop. I ran the DT with a Strike ESC and 15T DW with the lipo's and it ran good. Bought the second Siderwinder so I am going to sale the Strike ESC and my brushed motors.

Ran again yesterday with the new front axle setup on the SDT. It is working great.

Chris
Old 11-21-2010, 08:27 AM
goedmonds

ORIGINAL: Sh1mmy

Nice job mate.
Sounds like it took a bit to fit but the end result would be pretty good and far better than the stock setup.

I was just thinking of swaping these bits over...
http://www.losipartshouse.com/servle...les-%26/Detail
http://www.losipartshouse.com/servle...b-Axles/Detail
http://www.losi.com/ProdInfo/Files/E...ist_XXX_CR.pdf

Should accomplish the same thing and all the other needed parts should already be on the truck.

In my last lot of parts though, I got the Strike Hex set.
These allow you to put a bearing in the front hex's.
They work alright, not as free wheeling with the standard setup though but it works... with spacers, there isn't enough thread to do the nut up enough.
Only wish I thought of/knew of the XXX CR parts, would have been better and only an extra couple of dollars.

After fixing up LDT #1 and then redoing the shocks on LDT #2 and cleaning it, I then noticed that the front brace is broken (well it has a crack through one side of it)... should have cleaned it all up and looked at it before I got the parts...

The 50k wt diff oil is great, acts more like an LSD, it takes considerably more to off load the power to one wheel.

Running my old brushed setup in LDT #1... man it is slllooooooww... painfully slow, tyres barely balloon, no top speed, no wheelies.
Acceleration isn't too bad, it just tops out soo quick and easily (its a Tamiya TZ 23).
Looking at this.. http://rc-fans88.com/details.asp?prodid=2220 and http://rc-fans88.com/details.asp?prodid=2626.
Trying to debate which one I should go for... Longer and cheaper or WYE and 4 pole and most likely more efficient.
Only after something around 3000kv, my next lot of batteries is going to have a couple of 3cell's amongst it and don't want something too stupidly powerful (although I think the torque of the leopard one would be much higher than the other one and the Velineon).
Dunno what ESC I'll go for, maybe the 80a Xerun.
Gotta save up some money before I can get it all though.

ETOWN: Did you get me PM? I send a couple a few days ago but not sure if they went through, my sent box is empty...

Actually if the first part you link to will take the rear axle stub like I used that appears to be a good solution. Is there an Aluminum replacement for that hub? Chris
Old 11-21-2010, 12:08 PM
ETOWN

Yeah Sh1mmy I got your PM thanks for the advice. I bought a vxl3 brushless system going to see how that works out.
Old 11-22-2010, 12:19 AM
Sh1mmy

ORIGINAL: goedmonds
Actually if the first part you link to will take the rear axle stub like I used that appears to be a good solution. Is there an Aluminum replacement for that hub? Chris
As far as I know, both front and rear axles are the same diameter.
There is no aluminium version to my knowledge.

Those 2 bits I linked to though are all thats needed to have the floating front axles I think and it permanently has the hex on it.

On another note, my brother and I got out for a bash a couple of days ago, was going good for a while then towards the end we made a boo boo, I went left as he went right and we both ran into each other, broke his steering knuckle/hub (HPI E-FS Flux), I thought I got away with it with just a bent camberlink (straighten it back with a pair of pliers) but after giving it quick clean down later that night I saw it finished off the front kickplate and brace (got an old one back on thats not so broken).

Also while doing some doughies I managed to strip another Idler gear (plastic one), I did tighten up the slipper just before doing so though, thought it was a bit loose but obviously it wasn't.

My brother is going to need a new motor soon though I think, checked his temps about half way through the 2nd battery and it was just over 116C (yeah, Celsius... or about 241F).
Was just lucky that the kids at the park who insisted on turning over the trucks did not touch the motor, would've given them a nasty burn.
My motor, wile geared slightly slower than his was sitting on a nice 48C after the same time.

ETOWN, nice, no worries mate.
Old 11-22-2010, 08:40 AM
goedmonds

Put the Robinson idler in it.
http://www.losipartshouse.com/servle...l-Idler/Detail

Chris
Old 11-25-2010, 05:04 AM
Sh1mmy

I have one in my other DT, just didnt/havnt gotten one for my 2nd one.
Will do in the next parts order though.
Old 12-31-2010, 10:47 PM
Sh1mmy

Found these while looking around the other day.

http://stores.ebay.com/Bargain-RC-TO...subZ1666224011
Old 01-01-2011, 02:48 PM
JamesPearlEX

I saw those a while ago and might get some if I ever break those parts. But I dunno what the quality of the aluminium will be like... Anyone thinking of trying them out?

Also, hope you guys had a great Christmas and Happy New Year!!!

James
Old 01-01-2011, 03:40 PM
ETOWN

I was thinking of getting the rear knuckles just to try them out. It would be nice if they can make some a-arms,
Old 01-02-2011, 08:03 AM
Sh1mmy

ORIGINAL: JamesPearlEX

I saw those a while ago and might get some if I ever break those parts. But I dunno what the quality of the aluminium will be like... Anyone thinking of trying them out?

Also, hope you guys had a great Christmas and Happy New Year!!!

James

The only parts I am interested in is the steering posts, should remove some flex, although its the plastic bit that holds them down that flexes most, would be good if they had that part.
May grab a graphite one, one day see if there is any improvement with it.

Losi already makes the aluminium pivot blocks.

Being such rare parts to break, it wouldn't really make any sense to replace them with aluminium bits.
It's nice that these are getting a bit more attention though, getting some bling bits.

Aluminiun A-Arms really are not that great though, they are heavier and don't really have any flex.
They also bend and transfer the damage somewhere else down the line.
Old 01-02-2011, 08:56 AM
zanga254
My Feedback: (1)

Sorry if this is a violation of rule but i'm looking to sell my desert truck with losi brushless. There is a slight problem with the esc, but from what i've been told is an easy fix if sent to novak. It's college time so i just need to focus on schoolwork, if anyone is interested please feel free to pm me or check out my ad. Thanks.
Old 01-02-2011, 08:57 AM
thehuntingterminator

i wish Losi made more BND models, it really lowers their price. but this thing does look cool, where's the brushless version
Old 01-02-2011, 09:04 AM
JamesPearlEX

The hubs would be a good upgrade as they're some of the only parts where having alumiunium is a good thing.

Having aluminium arms is a downgrade though, they're just heavy, bend and are expnesive. I have seen some aluminium arms on ebay along with other aluminium parts for the XXXNT from HERE but they're pretty pricey.

James
Old 01-02-2011, 09:59 AM
ETOWN

Yeah that is high. For that price i can buy another brushless motor from hobbypartz.com. I'll just stick with the EA3 a-arms.

Old 01-03-2011, 06:18 PM
Sh1mmy

Just bought these...

http://rc-fans88.com/details.asp?prodid=2220

http://rc-fans88.com/details.asp?prodid=2652

Hope they make it here by friday or saturday.

Not sure if it was a wise idea going with that ESC though, couldn't find much info on it from people who have used them.
Should be good though.

Really eager to try out that motor though.
Old 01-03-2011, 06:53 PM
thehuntingterminator

i'm guess this thing kinda handles similar to a Rustler? they're both rear wheel drive and kinda have the same chassis setup
Old 01-03-2011, 06:55 PM
Krazy Chicken

it supposedly handles better, it is based on a race platform.
Old 01-03-2011, 06:57 PM
thehuntingterminator

i guessing its based on the Losi SpeednT?
Old 01-03-2011, 07:06 PM
Krazy Chicken

the xxxt
Old 01-03-2011, 08:09 PM
ETOWN

The losi desert truck shares some parts from the speed t and also the xxxt. Its a good truck I have 2 and a 3rd one on the way. LOL. Lots of fun to bash around with.
Old 01-03-2011, 08:11 PM
thehuntingterminator

wish they made a BND and brushless version
Old 01-04-2011, 12:49 PM
Krazy Chicken

i agree with the bind version, would be cheaper and less waste. but i wouldn't want a brushless version, i have heard nothing but bad things about losi 1/10 brushless systems
Old 01-12-2011, 08:29 AM
JamesPearlEX

I went to another bash at the weekend so I got to test out the diff with 60K oil for the first time.

I think it might be a bit too thick as my turning circle is non-existent, I have to slow right down to actually be able to turn properly!!!

I also had some fresh Gladiators on the rear and am going to put the used ones on some front wheels so I will eventually have some front tyres which wil grip, which should help with turning as well.

The only breakage I had was an idler (first time it's broken). I got a bit confused as I was just driving around normally and it just rolled to a stop, so I don't relly know how it managed to strip. Luckily I had 3 spare so I was running again soon.

Another problem I have is with the crappy 9T ezrun motor. The new one Igot after the rotor exploded in my previous one, has a loose connection in one of the wires somewhere so it kept cutting out and cogging all the time. I've put the rotor from the new motor into the old can for the time being and it seems to run alright, but I haven't tested it outside yet. If this breaks as well I'm just gonna upgrade to the 60A 8.5T ezrun setup.

James

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.