Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

The Official Losi Desert Truck Thread!

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2011, 07:59 AM
goedmonds

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: The Official Losi Desert Truck Thread!

I have been racing DT and SDT's for the last 3 winters in a RV park in Arizona. A Sidewinder 4600KV system and 2S Lipo's rock in this platform. I have broken just about everything on the truck once or more. They handle better on our paved track than the Rustler VXLs. We race 5 days a week for a couple hours, so my trucks see a lot of use.

I ran the DT diff in my SDT to make it corner better. I also converted the from for bearings in the wheels to bearings in the hubs with a set of aluminum rear hubs turned on there side. Left one on right and right one on the left. I made axle shims and used wide Traxxas hexes and run Proline Epic beadloc wheels with 2.2 Proline Switch tires. You can look at some of my older post. I can post some front hub pictures later. Here is a rear hub picture.

Chris

Old 02-19-2011, 11:52 AM
JamesPearlEX

Went to another bash today and had some nasty breakages...

I had a bad landing on the back of the motor guard which broke the T plate and as I was changing it I found that the rear shock tower had shattered. I then had another bad landing upside down which snapped the front shock tower in half.

There's one thing I'm a bit confused about though. When I first got the truck it jumped fine, but for a while now it's been rotating backwards and staying pointing upwards as soon as it leaves the ramp and no amount of braking or reverse gets the nose to come down again. I don't leave the ramp with any throttle on and I haven't changed the setup at all so I'm a bit confused as to why it's doing it...

James
Old 02-24-2011, 09:17 AM
Sh1mmy

@ JamesPearlEX

Hmm, turning circle shouldnt be too bad, I'm running 50k in mine and it pretty much does what I want it to, turns fine, stable and predictable.
Would be interesting to see how well gladiators on the front would be.

Yeah, the idlers I have broken really only seem to break when it feels your going easy.

Sucks to hear about the motors, havn't heard of the hobbywings exploding like that.

Any 540 motor will be a good upgrade, so much more power over the 9t, you have the 35a esc though right? combo probably would be a bit cheaper.
The combo I got a little while ago, the Leopard 3650 2.5y 2930kv and EzRun SC10 70A costed me $127 delivered.
Not a fan of the ESC, has a few niggly bits that I don't like, such as soft start and the and a couple of other things that my mind just went completely blank on........ cant be that bad then, haha.
The motor at first I thought was a bit lame and hot but after cranking the timing up and some punch to go with it, it really brought it to life.
More powerful than the Velineon 3500 (although not always obvious, could be partly to do with the ESC though), a lot more snappy/crisp, MUCH more smoother (It crawls without cogging), runs a little cooler (I think I can get a bigger pinion on) and I think it would be more happy on 3s lipo (although a lower kv would be nicer for 3s I think).
Definitely worth the $60 odd.

It wasn't until after I had already bought it, that I learned of Castles SCT system for about $110, comes with the V2 sidewinder and a 3800kv motor.

Woah, must have been one hell of an impact to break the T plate and shock tower, I've never event put a scratch on my rear shock tower, thought it was near impossible to break.
How high was the jump to break the front tower, I only broke mine by running it into a wood heater at full throttle (radio batts were nearly flat and glitched).
I've no idea why the back would go down when jumping, a weird one that.

@ goedmonds
Do you have any large jumps on your track, how do ya manage to break that many parts? haha.
I suppose racing 5 days a week would explain some of it.
I still need to get those XXX CR front hubs and spindles, see if it can be done that way, front hexes would be so much nicer.

Losi XXX SCT aluminium http://www.teamstrc.com/index.php?ro...tegory&path=63

On another note, I may be selling my 2nd DT, might be getting a Mugen MBX5T (to convert to electric of course... 6s power )
Found a nice deal for 2 of them, my brother will be taking the other.
Old 02-24-2011, 03:29 PM
JamesPearlEX

The gladiators I put up front are quite worn but still grippy, although they didn't help with the turning cicrle issues.

The 9T motor ezrun motor I bodged together with the old rotor and new can worked fine throughout the bash and I didn't have any problems, but I'll still get the 8.5T 60A when it breaks.

The T-Plate and rear shock tower broke from the impact of around a 6ft drop off and the front shock tower broke from landing upside down on it (with the body on) from a couple of feet, but it was around 0°C all day.

Those STRC parts are well priced compared to the non brand aluminium parts on ebay, atm I'm just hoping RPM will eventually make some RPM parts, but I doubt it...

One of the people in the bash group has a converted MBX5T and it takes quite a beating!

James
Old 03-01-2011, 06:32 PM
goedmonds

We race on a paved oval track in an Arizona RV Park and we are old and not very good drivers. Well actual we play hard hitting 30-35 on straights, and get tangled up once in a while. Doing two to four cartwheels, a broadside or a headon hit hurts! Chris
Old 03-04-2011, 06:35 PM
Sh1mmy

@ JamesPearlEX

Cool, I might give the gladiators a go up from sometime soon, did you change anything in the steering, dual rates, linkages (for the huge turning circle).

When I went from the 9t to the Velineon 3500 I noticed a big difference in power, just going to a bigger motor will make difference, let alone KV.

Ah, the cold would explain why they broke then, I thought it was a little strange.

Yeah, the STRC stuff looks alright and is loooong overdue.
The XXX SCT seems to be getting pretty popular, so I reckon, eventually, there will be a few RPM parts, I can't wait to get my hands on a set of front arms (if they are the same length).

Yeah, they sure do take a nice beating, I just picked it up yesterday, seems pretty cool, it was missing a couple of things (just small stuff really) then comes the long road of getting all the parts to convert it.

@goedmonds

That sounds like a lot of fun, wish we had some racing like that around here.
Old 03-05-2011, 01:00 AM
JamesPearlEX

I haven't changed the setup at all apart from putting in the 60k diff oil since I got it, so when I can be bothered I'll mix in a bit of 25k to thin it out a little.
Going to another in half an hour, it's not as cold today, so hopefully I won't break too much

James
Old 03-05-2011, 11:52 AM
JamesPearlEX

The bash was awesome today and I only broke a shock end after a massive jump.

However, my radio has always had bad range and after sending it to Horizon they said it was fine, but after about an hour of running today my range halved. I tried new batteries and re-binded but it didn't improve. So I might send off the rx and tx to Horizon again and if they don't do anything I might just buy a new radio...

James
Old 03-05-2011, 12:16 PM
thehuntingterminator

well, i say just spend the 20 bucks and buy a reliable 2.4ghz radio/receiver from hobbypartz with free shipping.
Old 03-05-2011, 12:26 PM
JamesPearlEX

Yeah, I'm gonna get a Flysky  GT3B radio if nothing is sorted with Horizon UK. Two people in the bash group use them and love them, and they've got a massive range.
Old 07-21-2011, 11:02 AM
lez1troubles

hi there, anybody know the length of the balts that hold on the motor mounts???
I have one long one and two medeum that dont come out the end of the diff case, any one know whats going on???
Thanks already.[8D]
Old 07-26-2011, 06:35 AM
Sh1mmy

If your on about what I think you are on about...
There should be 2 long ones and 1 short one, the short one does not go all the way through (only holds the gear box together.)
Old 08-22-2011, 02:00 AM
marcolino

Hi,

I am new here and come from France.

I've got a Desert Truck since 6 months and i'm triyng to get the losa3075 but i can't find it.

Can you help me please.

sorry for my bad english
Old 01-09-2012, 01:38 PM
swanpondwv

This thread appears to be dying so I thought I'd ask about this truck.

Now that this RTR is reduced to $149 is it an ok purchase? Just for bashing around.

Thanks!

Bill
Old 03-15-2012, 07:12 PM
DriftingDragon

id say so it handles alot

on a different topic i need the steering assembly mine got busted up good