Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

what would be a good kit to build?

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2008, 12:28 AM
emaXXman123
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: what would be a good kit to build?

i think im going with the Durga too...just need to sell my stinkin painball gun [:@]

whats with the philips problem and the differental problem?
Old 10-05-2008, 12:31 AM
emaXXman123

ORIGINAL: vge

Honestly if you just wanna build a nice kit I would recommend any of the Tamiya kits. Even the low end TL-01 series are lots of fun to build. Tamiya has probably the best instructions, they make you build everything. I have several Tamiyas and I must say I really enjoyed everyone from the TL-01 up to my TCT-1 which was a mother of a long build But you will learn to appreciate the real quality of Tamiyas. They make tanks. I have races both my mini cooper and tl-01 in the TCS races and as have never broken a piece. Which is amazing when you see them run. Another cool thing about them are you can get kits from under $100 and up to $500+. All of them are pretty challenging to build. When you open those boxes it's almost over whelming! I really think out of all my builds my TXT-1 was the most over whelming. Check it out.

http://s131.photobucket.com/albums/p...t=716ff9e4.pbw
sorry for the double post but i always though of Tamiya as being crap...so all you Tamiya lovers dont be hatin on me. when i was like 11 i brought my bandit to the dunes and i still had the Tamiya connectors on it and they melted together. ever since then all i though of when i heard Tamiya i though of that. its kinda left a bad impression on the whole brand in my eyes. but now that im older (15) and ive read all this stuff i resecpt this brand not only for there amazing cars but also for how long they have been around the whole R/C industry
Old 10-05-2008, 12:33 AM
hands without shadows

Pretty much all RTR RC's came with those same connectors back then..................
Old 10-05-2008, 12:37 AM
emaXXman123

ya i know..i was 11 lol i had no idea what i was donlg =P but now i know what to get and what not to get (battery/car/connecter) wise. but you happen to know about the zero philip problem?
Old 10-05-2008, 01:56 AM
vge

ORIGINAL: emaXXman123

ya i know..i was 11 lol i had no idea what i was donlg =P but now i know what to get and what not to get (battery/car/connecter) wise. but you happen to know about the zero philip problem?

You know whats funny. Lots of people think that, but if you really look at the hobby. You will notice that some of the Tamiya RC's are some of the most wanted and highest priced. For example. Everyone wants a nice Clod Buster crawler. Everyone wants a High Lift. The txt-1 and the micro txt are some of the best crawlers as well. They also make the TRF series which are so expensive most hobby shops don't even carry them. Only the pros use them. They make very very good quality. Like I said just go get yourself a nice Tamiya Mini Cooper and i am sure you will get hooked on their kits. Hop on over to the drift thread and everyone wants a TT01. They are the one of the few original RC companies that doesnt make a whole bunch of RTR's. Honestly as far as I know they only make a certain class of RTR's and those really arent RTR's. Those are what they call "Expert BUilts" which are just the kit version thats built for you with electronics tossed in. They use the same parts and everything.
Old 10-05-2008, 03:33 AM
Druss

sorry for the double post but i always though of Tamiya as being crap...so all you Tamiya lovers dont be hatin on me. when i was like 11 i brought my bandit to the dunes and i still had the Tamiya connectors on it and they melted together. ever since then all i though of when i heard Tamiya i though of that. its kinda left a bad impression on the whole brand in my eyes. but now that im older (15) and ive read all this stuff i resecpt this brand not only for there amazing cars but also for how long they have been around the whole R/C industry

You know what's the funniest part? those connectors have nothing to do with Tamiya. Everyone was using them but for some reason they got stuck with the "tamiya connectors" name. Look it up sometime.

Tamiya makes very good kits, they've been in the business longer than most and their shear range of products is staggering. Have you ever seen an 18 wheeler RC?? I mean who else does that? When's the last time that you heard something japanese made sucks?
Old 10-05-2008, 07:15 AM
Shompola

If building is your priority, Tamiya! If racing and fair price is, B44 for 4WD and B4 for 2WD. That is my opinion.
Old 10-05-2008, 08:27 AM
Sampson0420
My Feedback: (7)

I had heard gripes on different forums and sites about using the included philip head screws over some aftermarket hex screws. Some people were having issues with the philip heads stripping, I did not have this problem. I did however have some issues with the plastic not gripping the screw threads.
Old 10-05-2008, 10:16 AM
emaXXman123

wow you guys thanks for all this information!!! i think im gonna get a Durga now
Old 10-05-2008, 10:48 AM
Chris_RC

I dont think the Durga will be good in the mod 4wd class at ocrc.

The offroad expo was awesome! In the Losi stand they had a rock crawler track and we were crawling and the mini crawler can crawl great. They said they were going to come out with a 1/10 competation crawler.

I know a person who has a xxx-cr and bought a b4 to compare it and he said the b4 was faster getting into turns but the xxx-cr was faster everywhere else.
Old 10-05-2008, 10:52 AM
emaXXman123

why wouldnt it be good at the mod 4wd class?

is the 1/10 scale crawler a kit or a rtr?
Old 10-05-2008, 10:53 AM
vge

ORIGINAL: Chris_RC

I dont think the Durga will be good in the mod 4wd class at ocrc.

The offroad expo was awesome! In the Losi stand they had a rock crawler track and we were crawling and the mini crawler can crawl great. They said they were going to come out with a 1/10 competation crawler.

I know a person who has a xxx-cr and bought a b4 to compare it and he said the b4 was faster getting into turns but the xxx-cr was faster everywhere else.
I am sure with the right driver and some basic hopups it will be able to compete in any 4wd class. just because a car is made of a different material doesnt mean it can not run with the big boys or better yet beat the big boys. You obviously have not been to a TCS race before
Old 10-05-2008, 11:03 AM
Chris_RC

It needs a few upgrades to make it compete and for that price you could of got a B44. Like you will need the TRF shocks which are very expensive and a couple other upgrades. I seen a durga and a keen hawk at ocrc the 1st time I went there and they didnt handle as well as the b44 and kyosho lazer.

Dont know, my friend told me that after we left.
Old 10-05-2008, 11:06 AM
emaXXman123

It needs a few upgrades to make it compete and for that price you could of got a B44. Like you will need the TRF shocks which are very expensive and a couple other upgrades. I seen a durga and a keen hawk at ocrc the 1st time I went there and they didnt handle as well as the b44 and kyosho lazer.

is there much supprt on the Durga at OCRC? because there is a 100+ price difference in the 2 AND! i have to spend another 80+ dollars on a saddle pack lipo..
Old 10-05-2008, 11:21 AM
Chris_RC

I dont think there is alot of support. I know the 501x doesnt have alot of support.
Old 10-05-2008, 11:29 AM
emaXXman123

i know there is big support for all associated stuff/traxxas/losi stuff there..but not sure about anything else. i think im gonna wait until i have enough money for a B44..im just gonna use my xl-5 and mod15 orion SV2 in it. also see if that nigk can make me some good saddle packs..also i feel more safe with a shaft drive car rather then a belt
Old 10-05-2008, 12:50 PM
Chris_RC

So do you want a 4wd buggy or a 2wd buggy?

I know that they carry some kyosho parts but I dont think they carry Tamiya.

Alot of people will tell you if you want to start racing get a 2wd truck or buggy, I prefer truck because they are easier to drive and more forgiving.
Old 10-05-2008, 12:54 PM
Ttam Says Blarg

is there much supprt on the Durga at OCRC? because there is a 100+ price difference in the 2 AND! i have to spend another 80+ dollars on a saddle pack lipo..
First off you didnt want a saddle pack and now you want one? Also the car is only as good as the driver.
Old 10-05-2008, 12:55 PM
emaXXman123

well i guess yo ucould say i already have a 2wd st...i really really really like it just its not ment for racing its ment for basing lol...my friend has the B4RS rtr version and its pretty fast. i really knot know what i want but i kinda want a buggy becuase if i do race i could race the ruster in the st class and the buggy in the buggy class.
Old 10-05-2008, 02:54 PM
Chris_RC

well i guess yo ucould say i already have a 2wd st...i really really really like it just its not ment for racing its ment for basing lol...my friend has the B4RS rtr version and its pretty fast. i really knot know what i want but i kinda want a buggy becuase if i do race i could race the ruster in the st class and the buggy in the buggy class.
Well if you want to get a buggy get a 2wd one. The 4wd people are hardcore and get every ounce of performance possible. I would get a 2wd truck just because they are easier to drive and more forgiving. It takes a while to get used to a buggy and I know a couple people who have both and prefer truck. For truck I would get the xxxt-cr. A little expensive but worth it. Or you get buy my mf2 that im selling RTR for $200.
Old 10-05-2008, 03:39 PM
emaXXman123

Well if you want to get a buggy get a 2wd one. The 4wd people are hardcore and get every ounce of performance possible. I would get a 2wd truck just because they are easier to drive and more forgiving. It takes a while to get used to a buggy and I know a couple people who have both and prefer truck. For truck I would get the xxxt-cr. A little expensive but worth it. Or you get buy my mf2 that im selling RTR for $200.

sned me so pictures and ill see..cause right now i have 0000000000000000 money..

and about the saddle pack idea. i said i would rather prefer a stick but its not that big of a deal
Old 10-06-2008, 11:41 AM
deanR

look at the hot bodies cars,, another common brand at ocrc
Old 10-06-2008, 11:54 AM
MKMotorsport

ORIGINAL: Ttam Says Blarg

Durga all the way!

Why- because you have one? The entire thing is cheap plastic, and parts are hard to come by for most, unless you don't mind mail ordering everything. Dosen't even come with a slipper- kinda silly as that is standard issue these days on anything offroad related? By the time you add the cost of a slipper to the Durga you could have spent a few more $$ on a Assc B44 and had a much higher tech, better constructed competition ready buggy.... I've built both Assc and Tamiya kits and there is no comparison in quality. Also any LHS carries Assc parts, Tamiya, most likely not. Also, no matter what anyone says, shaft drive 4WD's are more robust, durable, and maintainance free than any belt drive out there.

Edit: Tamiya does make good *high end* kits... There avg. run of the mill "kit" I would say does not fall into that *high end* catagory.

MKM