Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

what to do about my slipper clutch?

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2010, 12:16 AM
cat samich

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default what to do about my slipper clutch?

so im trying to figure out if there's an alternative to the stock slipper on my 3905 emaxx. ive got a mmm2200 in it and i have beefed up the entire drive line with the exception of the clutch. id like something like the strobe, but i dont think there made any longer. do i have any options or am i stuck with the stock junk?
Old 03-03-2010, 11:36 AM
FoamyVictim

Default RE: what to do about my slipper clutch?

Have you considered a center diff? Do you really need a slipper, or can you live without one? If you have a decent transmitter, you can add expo to the throttle. Or, you can use the punch control in your ESC. Either way, you can work around a slipper, and eliminate it... if you're willing.
Old 03-04-2010, 07:52 AM
cat samich

ORIGINAL: FoamyVictim

Have you considered a center diff? Do you really need a slipper, or can you live without one? If you have a decent transmitter, you can add expo to the throttle. Or, you can use the punch control in your ESC. Either way, you can work around a slipper, and eliminate it... if you're willing.
ive played with the punch control in the esc and it has helped alot. the real problem im having is that the slipper gets so hot it melts the cent out of the spur gear. maybe i will just try to find a metal spur and be done with the slipper all together
Old 03-04-2010, 10:16 AM
FoamyVictim

I don't think you need a metal spur. I think if you install a center diff, and work on your throttle control(don't just squeeze the trigger so quickly, you'll only damage your truck) then you should be fine.
Old 03-05-2010, 02:03 AM
THE HP FREAK
My Feedback: (1)

HI!... I have a E-REVO with the MMM 2200KV. I couldn't keep slipper clutches together in the thing no matter what we did. After going through about 20 of them, I decided to install a slipper clutch eliminator. Worked great. Haven't had a problem since. Just turn the punch control down. I also run a center diff.

Old 03-06-2010, 09:40 PM
cat samich

ORIGINAL: THE HP FREAK

HI!... I have a E-REVO with the MMM 2200KV. I couldn't keep slipper clutches together in the thing no matter what we did. After going through about 20 of them, I decided to install a slipper clutch eliminator. Worked great. Haven't had a problem since. Just turn the punch control down. I also run a center diff.

if i had access to a lathe that would be perfect but i unfortunately do not
Old 03-06-2010, 11:04 PM
THE HP FREAK

HI!... I bought the slipper clutch eliminator, from some guy on another forum. He makes them. Think it was like $17 for two of them. His screen name is "Oomp" over on REVO-WORLD. Try him out. He might still have some.
Old 03-06-2010, 11:24 PM
Master Ace

I wouldn't recommend installing an "Eliminator" or you risk having to replace a spur gear or 2 or 3 or worse yet having to tear apart the gearbox ....Robinson Racing makes an alternate slipper clutch assembly #8465 might hold up better than stock ...I just ordered it when I get it going I'll post again to let you know how it worked out

Old 03-08-2010, 12:49 AM
FairTax4me

If you drive it right the slipper clutch isn't needed. I run a locked slipper in my Rustler VXL and have stripped a spur gear once. And that spur gear was about 3 years old. Proper gear mesh and smooth throttle control are all you need.
Old 03-08-2010, 08:31 AM
Master Ace

Thats fine for your purposes i guess, but im a bit of a basher and like to put a little hurtin' on my truck so i ratheruse the truck to its fullest potential and not have to tone down my driving and my esc...I do alot of driving on asphalt where a little slip can prevent stripped gears especially when jumping...so I guess "To each his own"
Old 03-08-2010, 09:14 AM
THE HP FREAK

HI!... I bash the hell out of my E-REVO with my slipper clutch eliminator. No issues. All my settings for power are cranked up.
Old 03-08-2010, 11:50 AM
Master Ace

Like I said ... To each his own
Old 03-08-2010, 03:25 PM
cat samich

ORIGINAL: FairTax4me

If you drive it right the slipper clutch isn't needed. I run a locked slipper in my Rustler VXL and have stripped a spur gear once. And that spur gear was about 3 years old. Proper gear mesh and smooth throttle control are all you need.

throw a mmm 2200 on 6s at your rusty and come talk to me about not stripping gears you dont understand the differance in power from a vxl to a mamba monster
Old 03-08-2010, 03:26 PM
cat samich

thanks eveyone, im gonna try the robinson slipper mentioned above
Old 03-09-2010, 09:28 AM
Master Ace

[quote]ORIGINAL: cat samich

throw a mmm 2200 on 6s at your rusty and come talk to me about not stripping gears you dont understand the differance in power from a vxl to a mamba monster

Thank you Cat ...finally someone with sense!!
Old 03-09-2010, 06:47 PM
cat samich

[quote]ORIGINAL: Master Ace

ORIGINAL: cat samich

any time lol
Old 03-09-2010, 06:51 PM
qoisdhc oqina
My Feedback: (-1)

[quote]ORIGINAL: cat samich

ORIGINAL: Master Ace

any time lol

whats with the quoting?lol

Old 03-10-2010, 12:31 AM
FairTax4me

Well first, I wouldn't do that.
Second, Yes I do understand the difference in power between a MMM and a VXL. I've driven both, it's insane. You don't know me, so don't try to tell me what I do and don't know.

3rd, I'll say it again. Proper throttle control, and gear mesh is all that's needed to prevent stripped gears. You can still strip a spur gear even with a slipper clutch if you try.
Old 03-10-2010, 12:43 AM
THE HP FREAK

HI!... Well my E-REVO is running a MMM2200KV on 4S/6S and I have no issues with the eliminator. With all the power these new brushless motors can make the RC companies need to start making the gears out of steel. IMO.
Old 03-10-2010, 02:58 PM
CB 1

Very well said. I think that they should have some steal gears. I have a Rustler vxl, and i want to upgrade to a MMM. I am nervouse that i wont be able to control it as much, and I was afraid i would be stripping gears a lot.
Old 03-10-2010, 03:16 PM
Slo-V Flyer

ORIGINAL: CB 1

Very well said. I think that they should have some steal gears. I have a Rustler vxl, and i want to upgrade to a MMM. I am nervouse that i wont be able to control it as much, and I was afraid i would be stripping gears a lot.
If you plan on using the MMM in your Rusty, then you're looking at the wrong system. Simply put it's too much torque and weight for that truck. You could try the MM Pro and something like a Kershaw or Feigao "L" motor on 4s if you want more speed. The MMM 2200kv motors would probably shred the diff gears haha.
Old 03-10-2010, 03:26 PM
CB 1

Ok, Thanks for the tip! I'm looking for speed mostly. I am going to Colorado this summer, and I cant wait to off-road up there in the mountains. I live in Nebraska, And i think that there is no great place.
Old 03-11-2010, 03:26 PM
cat samich

Well first, I wouldn't do that.
Second, Yes I do understand the difference in power between a MMM and a VXL. I've driven both, it's insane. You don't know me, so don't try to tell me what I do and don't know.

3rd, I'll say it again. Proper throttle control, and gear mesh is all that's needed to prevent stripped gears. You can still strip a spur gear even with a slipper clutch if you try.

"proper throttle controll" and "driving it right " dont help with my stock slipper getting so hot that the spur gears center melts out of it. i need either no slipper at all or something that can handle much higher temps and abuse. if you had driven the mmm long enough you would realize that it will chew up almost the entire drive line of an emaxx. iv actually twisted the output connections where the drive yokes attach to a spool in my rear end to the point where the plastic drive yokes exploded. not a diff a metal spool.

i dont have to know you to tell you that unless you own a mmm2200 and have spent months running it and fixxing all it breaks that you dont understand what its capable off. if you do own one and havnt had it long you will with time figure out what im talking about. these motors on 6s with the right gearing have been shown to pull anywhere from 5000 to 6000 watts, thats equal to around 5 to 6 horsepower. castle even says it on there website. calling it insane isnt even doing it justice. with my stock slipper tightened all the way down it still spins the slipper. there is no locking it down, its that powerfull. so until you know more about the mmm please do a little more research before you tell me to "drive it right" or "properly control" my throttle. im not trying to be a jerk, i just feel you dont have enough experiance with the mamba monster to understand my situation.

on another note i looked into the robinson slipper and it turns out it doesnt fit the 3905, well atleast from the looks of there website it doesnt. anyone on here have the ability to make up an eliminator for me? i just dont have access to a lathe right now.